It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First contagious WiFi computer virus goes airborne, spreads like the common cold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is just a little disturbing...

Source

Computer science researchers have demonstrated for the first time how a digital virus can go airborne and spread via WiFi networks in populated areas at the same pace as a human diseases.

The “Chameleon” virus, designed by a University of Liverpool team, showed a remarkable amount of intelligence by avoiding detection and breaking into personal and business WiFi networks at their weakest points — spreading at an alarming rate.

Hide your laptops... Hide your phones... Cuz they hacking everybody out here!

All jokes aside, this could be very bad thing for WiFi capable devices. Though, perhaps this may be what it takes for stronger security measures that might even help against NSA snooping. I wouldn't put it past the NSA for already having this capability, though.

So what do you guys and gals think? Where do we go from here? Just how bad can it get?

....or is there nothing to worry about?

he secret to Chameleon is the method by which it avoids detection. Traditional computer antivirus programs look for viruses present on computers and the Internet itself. Chameleon sticks strictly to WiFi networks, bypassing secured, more heavily encrypted networks to enter and spread through weaker ones — especially free public access points like those found in cafes, on trains and in airports.

This makes me want to turn the wifi off on my phone and leave it off!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Says it bypasses secured networks. No need to stop using your Wi-Fi unless you don't have it encrypted /secured with a password.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Only a problem if you are one of those people who enjoy logging into your bank account on random unsecured networks lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
But this is what those guys created. Now, what's to say that something like this doesn't run around that does attack secured networks and tries to hack them?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

People do, thats exactly what google did when they were street mapping. If you have the money rig a van with a super computer, antennas park it in the a city center and eavesdrop on as many secure connections as you like. Corporate networks will know what your doing, maybe, someone on facebook though telling the world about ZOMG NEED LATTE KITTENS KITTENS CUTEZZZ ^^ will never know.

Wireless is scary, always turn your bluetooth off and never under any circumstance connect to a public wifi and broadcast private information.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is great.

Let's go create a possibly devastating new kind of virus for "research purposes", in a form that never previously existed.

Do they not realize that they just created it? This "Chameleon" can be the basis for every single virus creator's toolbox in the near future, and they made it possible to simply prove a point.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

StallionDuck
But this is what those guys created. Now, what's to say that something like this doesn't run around that does attack secured networks and tries to hack them?

It could prolly be modified so it could load onto a PC connected to the infected access point then it could use those victims PCs to break into a secured network but then it would be detectable. Pretty sure WPA2 encryption is fairly secure atm though and going after weaker targets would be a better option.

I actually don't use and go out of my way to not use wireless stuff. That's just me though and I don't discourage other people from using it

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
the paper is here is anyone wants to browse, jis.eurasipjournals.com...

you,ll need to have an access point with compatible firmware loaded on the virus for this to work

edit on 26-2-2014 by suicideeddie because: additon

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

you know this is interesting...my number use for a computer used to be gaming...the older I get the less I enjoy any kind of gaming...so I started looking at macs....and now chromebooks.

The idea of chromebooks seem silly at first...300 bucks for a browser plus some features...but when you think about it...being a complete original chrome OS that is probably immune to just about every virus out there at the moment..maybe its the way to go!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

hana1
Says it bypasses secured networks. No need to stop using your Wi-Fi unless you don't have it encrypted /secured with a password.

Um, "Bypasses secured networks" means it bypasses the security on the network, not the that it ignores the network.

Having an ecrypted wep or otherwise network will not protect you from this. [According to the article]

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It has long been ongoing.
This is by far not the first virus created that can do it and there might be an even more shocking one.
Meet badBIOS!
Everybody who is interested in this topic read this article please.
I am pretty sure the infection rate is way higher then people are expecting right now.
arstechnica.com...
edit on 26-2-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If we're hearing about this now..

It's been around for a while.

I remember years and years ago mucking around with mates breaking into wifi networks (before stronger encryption existed)

now and then you still find unsecured networks in apartment blocks.

Now a days you dont need to hack a PC, you just stand inbetween!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

So that gives me an idea....start small, until you can afford to get the hardware to hack the expensive stuff

Because the people with the expensive stuff FEEL immune, thus of course making them more succeptable

I'm not a troll (usually--well that's not true either)

But my point is still valid: watch out those that think they are standing will fall

AKA The sense of security you have with the more expensive toys now, just make you a bigger target later

top topics

join