It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Dolphins surround swimmers, fend off Great White.

page: 2
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Okay, okay. So we've established that dolphins are definitely very intelligent, and questionably noble, buuuuuut....Just 'cause I can, I'm gonna ask if there's any evidence that they're still evolving. I mean, if there are so many intelligent creatures that actually rival humans, isn't it also a factor that they could eventually wage war on us and take over? Kind of umm...relative to uh...Survival of the Fittest and natural selection?


[edit on 26-11-2004 by Gingerbread Murder]




posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gingerbread Murder
Okay, okay. So we've established that dolphins are definitely very intelligent, and questionably noble, buuuuuut....Just 'cause I can, I'm gonna ask if there's any evidence that they're still evolving. I mean, if there are so many intelligent creatures that actually rival humans, isn't it also a factor that they could eventually wage war on us and take over? Kind of umm...relative to uh...Survival of the Fittest and natural selection?


[edit on 26-11-2004 by Gingerbread Murder]



A very interesting point. Evolution is happening all the time, and will never stop. But even though they are ever-evolving, so are we. Waging war on us, though? I doubt it. War seems to be a trait only humans have, although I could be wrong about that. Besides that, they seem to protect us more than they attack us, not to mention they're water-bound. Plus, they don't have appendages that would allow for them to build things to as much of an extent as we can. I think we're too far ahead of the dolphins evolutionary, what with our opposable thumbs and ability to walk on land OR swim in the water, so that we never would need to worry about them waging war on us. And despite what some previous posts have mentioned, the dolphin doesn't seem like a very violent animal. The porpoises they've supposedly killed? I don't know what to think of that. I'll have to look more into it. But until the day we discover some underwater dolphin military base hidden seven miles down in the Marrianas Trench (sp?), I'm not too worried about it. I think the only population of creatures on earth that could rival us are the insects, and I don't see a plantery insect take over happening, atleast not in my lifetime.


[edit on 26-11-2004 by an3rkist]

[edit on 26-11-2004 by an3rkist]



posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Heh, I had taken it into consideration that we're much too evolved already for them to actually catch up. But, nevertheless, it's definitely very interesting to even fathom that dolphins could one day rule the world. I mean, to think that anyone (or anything) preceding us could have pondered another species taking over, or which animals would evolve into what. Spiffy!


Maybe one day the newly-evolved 'super powers' of evolution )like highly evolved dolphins) will be like humans, having to sign peace treaties and construct new societies and the such. *whistles* Anyway, anyone care to expand? Lol.



posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
I, however, think intelligence has absolutely nothing to do with the size of the brain.


*applause*

I agree.



posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
www.whalewatch.co.nz... - NORWEGIAN MAN ACCUSES DOLPHIN OF ATTEMPTED RAPE

Norway's top-selling daily Verdens Gang on Tuesday quoted the 28-year-old as saying that the dolphin apparently mistook him for a female after swimming alongside him in the sea off Farsund

Greater intelligence comes with greater stupidity I suppose!!!


[edit on 26-11-2004 by merka]



posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist

If you're going to base intelligence on the size of the brain than saying the orca is the smartest in animal in the sea is wrong


The Killer Whale brain size is close to the maximum size for all Earth Mammals, no matter what their body size.

But your indeed right brain size is not a accurate gauge of intelligence
Orcas do have a highly developed and convoluted neocortex, an association area responsible for sophisticated cognitive processes. Consciousness correlates with the degree of complexity in the nervous system, and the structural complexity of the orca brain appears capable of supporting a degree of consciousness that could allow culturally acquired, meaningful communication.

Another feature that scientists correlate with intelligence is the degree of folding of the upper surface of the brain, the area known as the cerebral cortex.Orca brains generally show as much or more folding of the cerebral cortex as is seen in humans.

Dolphins and Orcas are very much alike in this aspect so it would very hard to tell which is more intelligent from looking at their brains alone.

Complex behavior may reveal more about Orca intelligence though. Orca language and hunting techniques appear to be complex then that of Dolphins.Orcas also deal with a much wider range of animals, such as Blue Whales, seals, sea turtles, squid, and fish. So they need more types of hunting styles to deal with very different animals.

So I think if we look at the actions they make with the brain power they have Orcas would get the nod over Bottlenose Dolphins.

www.orcanetwork.org...



posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
www.whalewatch.co.nz... - NORWEGIAN MAN ACCUSES DOLPHIN OF ATTEMPTED RAPE

Norway's top-selling daily Verdens Gang on Tuesday quoted the 28-year-old as saying that the dolphin apparently mistook him for a female after swimming alongside him in the sea off Farsund

Greater intelligence comes with greater stupidity I suppose!!!


[edit on 26-11-2004 by merka]



Lol, maybe the dolphin is a liberal activist trying to prove that dolphin-human 'bonding' is okay


Either way, that's strange. I remember having seen a site with instructions on how to have sex with dolphins. People have too much time on their hands, apparently?



posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gingerbread Murder
Either way, that's strange. I remember having seen a site with instructions on how to have sex with dolphins. People have too much time on their hands, apparently?

Apparently. What where you doing at such a site?



posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon

Originally posted by Volkgeister
I have heard stories of mantarays protecting swimmers from sharks....so isn't really that amazing


Interesting I have never heard of this. What I am trying to figure out is how a manta ray can have any sound defense against the shark. I mean dolphins are fast, intelligent and have powerful beaks which they can ram sharks with. What does a manta have?

I think that dolphins are indeed one of, if not the most, intelligent creatures in the sea, with the next most notable candidate being the orca. Orca have sophisticated hunting strategies and intricate social order, I find them remarkable (if not brutish).


The manta didn't attack the sharks, but it shelted an injured man on its back whilst it was been attacked by sharks, and "swam" towards a nearby island.



posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Volkgeister
The manta didn't attack the sharks, but it shelted an injured man on its back whilst it was been attacked by sharks, and "swam" towards a nearby island.

It probably didnt even know the man was on there, and wanted to get some hot manta chicks in the shallow water.



posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
www.dolphinville.com... - interview shows with Joan Ocean.

Talking about dolphins connection with humans, E.Ts and more



posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Apparently. What where you doing at such a site?


Gasp! I was um--not..doing..anything kinky! Actually, it was a really long time ago and a friend showed me the link to the site, so I um..being hesitant to click, did so and found some weirdass dolphin sex site.
it was kind of depressing, but interesting at the same time.


Also, I suppose, if you'd like to see, I think I have the site bookmarked 'cause it's actually interesting. I mean...it's all..fatal and stuff.


Anyway, getting back to the whole dolphin subject--the mantaray to the rescue event is spiffy. Maybe um, mantarays don't have any feeling on their backs?! :O Or that particular one didn't, anyhow!

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Gingerbread Murder]



posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow, what a new direction for the thread to go in!


Nice site, Kamikasse. I've always found these creatures amazing, for their wit and spirit. NOT, however, in the manner that Murder spoke of!!!



posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
well, dolphins are also related to the Orca family, which eats great whites for snacks.

Dolphins have long had close relations with humanity, in light of the fishing industry. But lets not get carried away, dolphins are known to gang rape each other, have attacked humans, have violent tendancies as well. Just like humans.



posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by toolmaker

well, dolphins are also related to the Orca family, which eats great whites for snacks.

Dolphins have long had close relations with humanity, in light of the fishing industry. But lets not get carried away, dolphins are known to gang rape each other, have attacked humans, have violent tendancies as well. Just like humans.


I believe all animals are like humans. Some are good, while some are bad. Naturally dolphins seem to be friendly and noble creatures. They seem to have a higher state of understandment of life. Some other pets like dogs seem to also have this. I'm not sure about apes (2nd smartest animals after us), mainly because it hasn't been reported. It's not often that a jungle explorer gets attacked by some animal and chimps come and save it.


D

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon

Originally posted by Volkgeister
I have heard stories of mantarays protecting swimmers from sharks....so isn't really that amazing


Interesting I have never heard of this. What I am trying to figure out is how a manta ray can have any sound defense against the shark. I mean dolphins are fast, intelligent and have powerful beaks which they can ram sharks with. What does a manta have?



Kamikaze Mission. 30 manta rays against 1 shark. Shark can't eat all of them at once.




top topics



 
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join