It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine rivals clash as Russia drills troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Pro and anti-Russian protesters have clashed in the Ukraine region of Crimea, as the Russian president ordered battle-readiness checks on his armed forces stationed near the nations' borders.

Scuffles broke out outside the Crimea regional parliament on Wednesday between thousands of pro-Russia separatists and supporters of Ukraine's new leaders as regional politicians prepared to debate the removal of the pro-Russian Viktor Yanukovich from the presidency.

They came as the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, separately issued previously unannounced battle tests for army, navy and airforce troops based in Russia's western military district, a vast territory bordering Ukraine, Belarus, the Baltic states, Finland and the Arctic.

Ukraine rivals clash as Russia drills troops

Russia's defence ministry was later reported by Reuters to have said it was taking measures to ensure the security of its facilities and arsenals of its Ukraine-based Black Sea naval fleet.

Apparently, no mention was directly made from the Russians about Ukraine, but i think it is pretty obvious why these drills are being ran. Russia has interests in Eastern Ukraine of which it cannot lose. The majority of Eastern Ukraine also supports Russia. Just considering these facts, i think Russia is preparing to go in.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'm pretty certain that they will go in, but will they go in guns blazing? I doubt it. It seems to me, that some of the people in the Ukraine want this, but the real question is what will the reaction be from the Ukraine? If Russia goes in peacefully, and nothing happens, and support a secession, what could the Ukraine possibly do to stop it? They really can't, can they? They don't have the manpower, or material, to do all that much.

I'm not saying they wouldn't, or couldn't, but it would be horrible, as escalation would probably commence.

It's amazing to me, when you look at maps of the world, and see just how divided we really are, compared to the past. Countries that didn't even exist 50-60 years ago, make up those old countries now. It seems backward, doesn't it? To be further divided? Should we not be looking for unification?

But, I digress.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Russia can't just go in. They need a pretext, a proper one in that. Maybe pro Russian protestors must first be subject to police or military action by Ukrainian authorities, only then can Russia intervene.

Secondly Ukrainian army is also not a weak one. Second largest in Europe.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Ukraine is it's own country, the Russians have repeatedly said they would not intervene

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

all2human

Ukraine is it's own country, the Russians have repeatedly said they would not intervene

That's not exactly true. Though the news keeps saying that, and I'm not sure why.

They said

""We will not allow Europe and the US to take Ukraine from us," a foreign policy official said. The states of the former Soviet Union, we are one family. They think Russia is still as weak as in the early 1990s but we are not."

www.themoscowtimes.com...

They said if Ukraine splits, they WILL go in and fight for Crimea. - they won't be intervening up to that point though.

Russia has in the past been known for making a clear statement once and backing it up.
edit on 26-2-2014 by mrsdudara because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2014 by mrsdudara because: quotation marks and added point.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Secondly Ukrainian army is also not a weak one. Second largest in Europe.

???

Sorry, I don't understand that statement... you mean after the German, and French army?

You might want to have a little look at the link below :

en.wikipedia.org...

Then you have this :

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 26/2/14 by Rodinus because: Vid added

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Yes you are correct, but I remember hearing that on TV, maybe the meant in size not strength, because size does not always equal strength.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Who exactly said that, I mean which official in their official capacity. As far as I see on RT, they keep saying they wont interfere. But their actions says otherwise.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

asen_y2k
reply to post by Rodinus

Yes you are correct, but I remember hearing that on TV, maybe the meant in size not strength, because size does not always equal strength.

Never believe everything you hear on TV Asen... especially MSM...

The Ukranian army even in size is not the biggest in Europe (and especially not very well trained either).

www.defencetalk.com...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

I have not been able to find out a name. I've researched it to no end and everything I read says "a Senior government official", or "a foreign policy official"

If you run a search on the quote you will find it in every news source on the web. They only said it once though. So, when I heard they started to split up, I expect this move.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
A war in Ukraine civil or otherwise would be industrial scale carnage, millions could die. No one under any circumstance should welcome that sort of outcome.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Yea, I searched a lot too. Russia must be playing a game here, officially saying something and doing/preparing for something else. Only some senior officials leaked out the true intentions and avoided being named.
Yes Ukraine is ripping apart at this moment. Lets see Russias next step.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Believe me, being in Ukraine I know what you are saying is 100% correct. I see it every day.
I too was surprised to hear it on TV.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
here some news about the clash
hosted.ap.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I really hope this doesn't turn into another Serbian War...where Christians are killing Muslims and vis versa.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I feel bad for the Ukrainian people. They are having their world turned upside down because of a power play between two countries.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dolby_X

I think it is brilliant that the people there have decided to show what side they are on by speaking that language. Amazing peaceful show of support. Sure a few are throwing fists, they always will. But for the masses of people to make their stance with words instead of violence. That is very cool.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

all2human

They bloody well will if the Crimea is even breathed on.

top topics

join