It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple may have found biggest treasure trove ever in the US...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
ooOOOOOOO... I am just biting my lip here... Imagine what you could do with all that dosh?

A trove of rare Gold Rush-era coins unearthed in California last year by a couple as they walked their dog may be the greatest buried treasure ever found in the United States, worth more than $10 million, a currency firm representing the pair said on Tuesday.

The 1,400 gold pieces, dating to the mid- to late 1800s and still in nearly mint condition, were discovered buried in eight decaying metal cans on the couple's land last April, said coin expert David McCarthy of currency firm Kagin's.

Link here : www.reuters.com...

And the video with the robot voice :

If any of you live in California and suddenly see your neighbours gut up market...

What is the law over there in the US... do you get to keep everything or does a percentage end up in the pockets of the Gvt like over here in France?

Just think of all the bacon sandwiches you could buy with that?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 26/2/14 by Rodinus because: Bacon sarnie added

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Dang it I knew I should have picked a better hiding spot!

This was uncovered only about 20 miles from my house. I've always wondered how much gold is still left in California that has been hidden by robbers. There has to be billions worth up here.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

The federal government will likely get their 39% as income tax, California will want their pound of flesh (not sure what the state income tax is) so they may get to keep about half if they're lucky.

If they're unlucky it will be confiscated using some obscure legality and they'll probably end up with a bill. If I'd found that I wouldn't have said a thing and quietly auctioned pieces off through an intermediary.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

That's what they are doing. They are remaining anonymous and selling the items individually on the internet.

But I wouldn't be suprised if they got confiscated by California saying they are related to a criminal case from the 30's and never see the money again. California is like that lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by Rodinus

The federal government will likely get their 39% as income tax, California will want their pound of flesh (not sure what the state income tax is) so they may get to keep about half if they're lucky.

If they're unlucky it will be confiscated using some obscure legality and they'll probably end up with a bill. If I'd found that I wouldn't have said a thing and quietly auctioned pieces off through an intermediary.

As over here in France... the obscure legality is usually that the treasure is of national and archeological historic value...

We have to declare any treasure found here.

Saying that, a couple of years back I found a gold coin (Louis d'Or) on my land with a metal detector... stuff that if I was declaring it...

It helped pay for a new freezer that short circuited...

Erm... does anyone know why there is a black van ouside my house all of the sudden?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 26/2/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLotLizard

My bad, spoke before watching the video. Still you can bet the IRS will be at the authenticating company before the dust from this video has settled. So will California revenue agents as they've said generally where the coins were located. Too bad I guess.

Mums the word when it comes to this kind of thing. Maybe they should have just done a quick vacation to Singapore instead. There's plenty of treasure hunters / finders who lose out after the gov gets wind they hit the jackpot. Maybe not though, we can always hope.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Rodinus

It helped pay for a new freezer that short circuited...

Rodinus
edit on 26/2/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

You bought a freezer and it short circuited...I'd take it back

Sorry, couldn't resist

But yeah, I bet bigger ones have been found and kept on the down low.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JeffreyCH

I think you know what I meant... to replace an old freezer that short circuited... sheesh... its morning here and I have not had my correct intake of coffee yet...

Well... the darned thing was nearly 20 years old... Storm outage... so was not the only electrical apparatus affected

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 26/2/14 by Rodinus because: I need coffee

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I wonder if they were buried in the 1930s when the U.S. government required it citizens to stop hording gold and turn in everything but the family jewels?

The coins may have been minted in the 1800s, but that might have been a nest egg that was hidden to protect it from the gold hungry government. So, if this was illegally held gold, meant to keep it from confiscation when the government called it in during the 30s, then technically it was stolen from the government and must be returned with penalties, fines, fees and possible jail time for the ones who "found" the gold.

That's just like stealing it from Ft Knox where we keep our, ah, used to keep, um might be keeping some gold.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
My initial thought was that the gold was lost or the owner was a victim of the San Fransisco earthquake around 1906.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
One coin is suppose to be worth 1 million, by it's self?
I think that one would stay with me for a while.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Like winning a big lottery, those folks may wish many times in the coming years that they had their old life back. It seems that many sudden gainers of wealth can't handle the impact upon their lives. There days will drastically change, filled with dealing with various governmental agencies and they will need a network of lawyers to help keep them advised and somewhat isolated from all of the entangling mess.

As a metal detector hobbyist myself, I enjoy small finds of gold rings, common coins and rusty artifacts, but finding millions? I wouldn't wish that fate onto anybody.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

MichiganSwampBuck
I wonder if they were buried in the 1930s when the U.S. government required it citizens to stop hording gold and turn in everything but the family jewels?

The coins may have been minted in the 1800s, but that might have been a nest egg that was hidden to protect it from the gold hungry government. So, if this was illegally held gold, meant to keep it from confiscation when the government called it in during the 30s, then technically it was stolen from the government and must be returned with penalties, fines, fees and possible jail time for the ones who "found" the gold.

That's just like stealing it from Ft Knox where we keep our, ah, used to keep, um might be keeping some gold.

This gold is needed by Ft Knox to be sent to Germany to give back the gold that seem to have disappeared somewhere else. Now where did we put the 300 tons of gold that we owe Germany that the Federal Reserve is handling? Strange we cannot find it anywhere.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
They should have just stayed mum and quietly started selling these on E-bay or something...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Gazrok
They should have just stayed mum and quietly started selling these on E-bay or something...

Please excuse me whilst I fall off my chair and smash the back of my head off the sideboard in amazement...

Welcome back Gaz...

*Grins* happily

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
How do you spot an idiot?

The one who reports this find to the authorities.

Damn!

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Yea yea... blame it on us Europeans as usual... (J)

Maybe you should look a little nearer to home?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

If that was the case I would have chopped the bugger into 6 and sold each piece seperately... *coughs*

I know I know, it was a crap attempt at humour...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 26/2/14 by Rodinus because: Piece... peice... awww bugger... morsel....

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Chances are they may not be able to keep any of it at all. There was a large gold theft in that area in the late 1800's and Wells Fargo still has claim to that gold. So if Wells Fargo can prove this gold came from that then they lose the gold because it is Wells Fargo property. Chances are that Wells Fargo will give them a reward for it though.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Rodinus
reply to post by LittleByLittle

Yea yea... blame it on us Europeans as usual... (J)

Maybe you should look a little nearer to home?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Of course it is the Europeans fault that some people are great illusionist that are capable of making huge amount of gold disappear right in front of our eyes while we agree with the illusionist that we should look away and that the gold is still there if we someday are allowed by the illusionists to look.
. It is always someone else fault.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join