It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. family sues Petco after 10-year-old boy dies from 'rat-bite fever'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Strange case here.

Somebody is suing Petco because their son got an infection from a rat purchased from Petco and the boy died.

Apparently the CDC actually is testing the rat for an infectious disease and says some infections can be contracted from rodents without even being bitten.

A San Diego family is suing Petco after the death of their 10-year-old son from a bacterial infection they say he contracted from his pet rat.

Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit Monday in San Diego County seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after he was rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

The San Diego County medical examiner's office ruled that the cause of death was streptobacillus moniliformis infection, commonly known as rat-bite fever, after exposure to an infected rat.

Calif. family sues Petco after 10-year-old boy dies from 'rat-bite fever'

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Who the hell would have thought rats carried any kind of disease??

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

From the CDC - www.cdc.gov...

Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent. Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent.

The bolded portion of the above is something to think about in the trial for sure. This one fact may settle the whole case in Petco's favor.

From your article:

The retailer did not post adequate warnings about the potential risks, especially for children.

Because God forbid someone actually do a little research on the type of pet they are purchasing. That would be far too hard.

Petco also mentions preventative measures for rat-bite fever in information it posts online and provides in stores. The company warns that all rats are potential carriers and that pregnant women, children under the age of five and people with weakened immune systems should contact their doctor before buying a rat and "should consider not having a rat as a pet."

The above does seem to be an adequate warning IMO. Most responsible pet owners would seek out this information beforehand.

I found the above in less than 5 minutes. This is a tragedy, no doubt. But it could have been prevented all together IMO. My heart breaks for the family regardless. Nobody should have to bury their child. Ever.
edit on 2/26/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Perhaps Petco should screen their 'products' before offering them for sale.

Heaven forbid that the Parents should expect a disease free pet.

My heart goes out to the Parents.

P

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

pheonix358

P

From my OP -

From the CDC - www.cdc.gov... Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent. Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent.

Looking at the bolded text above, the rat may very well have been disease free. I suppose they will find out when the testing is done.

edit on 2/26/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Can you imagine what the cost of pets would be if they had to be screened for every disease that they could possibly carry?

They wouldn't be able to sell those crickets that people feed to salmonella-infected reptiles....

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This seems exactly like the kind of thing that the courts should handle.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

pheonix358

P

So I have this black mamba for sale. Makes a great pet… you interested?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

butcherguy

Can you imagine what the cost of pets would be if they had to be screened for every disease that they could possibly carry?

They wouldn't be able to sell those crickets that people feed to salmonella-infected reptiles....

In Australia, all cats and dogs are screened and given preventative shots for all manner of diseases.

All you have to do in reality is screen the breeding pairs and keep the offspring in a safe guarded environment. It is not that difficult. When you want to, you find a way. But yes, it does interfere with maximum profits. I guess you are suggesting that a child's life is not worth it.

P

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Tragic story

I agree a Rat isn't the best animal to bring into your home.

That said, usually in these big pet stores the pets aren't diseased, and they might have a guarantee they sell clean pets. If that's the case, then Petco has no case, or defence . Kittens etc are sold with all their shots and if they have a disease you can get a refund. This wouldn't be a rat they found in the slums where they are most likely to be diseased.

The family's claim isn't that he was bitten, but that he contracted the infection, one found in Rats, which this store sold.
Animal infections are really bad. I've had one. I was treated right away because I knew I had been bitten and it was starting to swell. If he wasn't bitten, the infection would creep up undetected until it's too late, which it seems it was by the time he got to a hospital.

edit on 26-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
could be a fun one for a judge. was it his "new" rat, his "old" rat, or a "wild" rat or mouse? even if his rats do have the disease, how do you tell which had it first, or if the "new" rat had it before being sold? i bet the first thing the pet store's lawyers will do is rip the home apart (picture every wall being torn out, every floor pulled up, and every ceiling pulled down, until they either find something or they are left with a foundation) to check for any signs of "wild" rodents. anyone doubt that they will easily find a sign of "wild" rodents? if there is that should be enough reasonable doubt that the store is responsible. in fact the only way i can see the family being able to "prove" that the "new" rat came infected from the store is that if both his rats are tested and his "old" rat is disease free, his "new" rat does have the disease, and once the house is totally ripped apart, that there is no sign of any (wild) rodent ever being there, at which point the family will need to use any judgement money to buy a new house.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I will take it

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I fount this.. ( not from Petco)

They can't magicaly know that all the pets that the vendor sells are healthy. They can however provide you with a heath garintee, which they do. PETCO has a 15 day garentee that your pet will be well. If it is not then you can take it back to be taken to PETCO's vet. PETCO will reture your money and take the pet to the vet. When the pet is well agein you will be contacted and givin the option to buy him agein. You chose not to do it this way so your out of luck.
www.google.com...:en-US:unofficial&q=does+petco+guarantee+the+animals+will+be+infectio n+free%3F&spell=1&sa=X&ei=qtsNU_2aMtL82gXO4oCQAw&ved=0CCUQvwUoAA&biw=1307&bih=685

It doesn't help much - does anyone know a link to more info on this?

I think it's been told for ages "Rats carry disease's " we hear this from our mothers, and TV all through our lives. If i buy a snake will Petco guarantee it wont bite me? I don't think so.

The question is did Petco sell the rat as is with the full understanding the rat could be infected - there is just no way to know the rats infected and buyer buy at own risk.

It's STUPID to think you will buy a Clean RAT. it's not a cute lile domesticated Mouse, it's a RAT. Although it's unfortunate I don't think the family has a case. I think they need to suck it up and chalk up the kids death to their Stupidity and leave it at that.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

pheonix358

butcherguy

In Australia, all cats and dogs are screened and given preventative shots for all manner of diseases.

All you have to do in reality is screen the breeding pairs and keep the offspring in a safe guarded environment. It is not that difficult. When you want to, you find a way. But yes, it does interfere with maximum profits. I guess you are suggesting that a child's life is not worth it.

P

I didn't suggest that at all.
I did notice that you did not address my point. How much would a rat cost if the pet store had to certify it as disease-free?
Not 'raised from disease free stock in a safe guarded environment', because that doesn't guarantee the animal is disease free, it just says that someone tried.... or pretended to.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It's interesting.. Petco refuses to sell cats known to have FIV ( similar to HIV in humans)

blogs.bestfriends.org...

FIV can be transmitted to other cats via a deep bite. Seems to me if they could have known about the rat being infected, they would not have sold it.

Perhaps the problem isn't so much with Petco policy as it is with a lack of good detection tools for these diseases in rats.. I don't know that's the case, just speculating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found another story about Petco's policies - It seems if within 15 days of a purchase, if the animal gets sick, they will take the pet to the vet on their dime.. as this one lady found out when her new guinea pig developed an eye infection they store manager tried to get her to pick out a replacement guinea pig instead - so they wouldn't have to spend the money on the vet.. they would simple kill the sick animal instead - www.guineapigcages.com...

Then there are the stories all over the net saying how bad conditions are at the animal farms Petco buys from - Seems many of these cause the animals to get sick and have disease. secure.peta.org...

O.k. so Petco KNOWS it may have diseased animals - but if they cannot tell that via some test - are they legally liable?
edit on 26-2-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
We have a very large, independently owned, well known pet store near us, that screen every animal, quarantine them, then put them out for sale. Even their fish. Yes, the pets may be a few dollars more, but isn't your safety and theirs worth it??

Several years ago, my son bought a pet rat from them. He was actually a wonderful pet. very smart and very friendly. I would not hesitate to get another, (If the hubby would allow it!) from them only.

If I remember correctly, Odin cost around 10.00 or 12.00.

I still do not understand why anyone would buy ANY pet from these chain stores. It's all about the money. That is it.

Just like with any pet, you need to do your homework.

I hope they win. I also hope Petco stops selling animals.
edit on 26-2-2014 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I feel bad for this family but if your selling rats you can't guaranteed they won't make you sick. Their urine alone can make you ill. I'm surprised they couldn't cure this child - his body nor any medicine could handle this infection. I would say the most well known animals for disease or deadly bites should not be given to kids as pets. That's just my take in it though.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Parents should do the research about a pet before acquiring it. I suspect they didn't care enough to be informed. There is the possibility that the rat started out OK and got exposed after purchase.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Usually pets come from a strict breeding facility where the parents are clean
& disease free & therefore there should not be any infections. The facility should be
kept extremely clean just like it should be for any animal or you're asking for
trouble with risking disease. At least that is what I am used to practicing.
I know nothing is 100%. Rats make excellent pets & are better than hamsters
& gerbils, especially for younger kids because if held a little tight they won't
be so quick to bite like the other two.

They also cling on you & stay. I've raised many rats & mice. I loved my rats
& they are sweet & intelligent. One of the major assignments in animal technology
is raising & training a rat to complete a maze that you built as well as being graded
on the husbandry.

I have been working with animals since the late 80s & this is the first time I have
heard of such a case. I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

My heart goes out to the family.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
caveat emp·tor
noun \-ˈem(p)-tər, -ˌtȯr\

law : the principle that a person who buys something is responsible for making sure that it is in good condition, works properly, etc.
www.merriam-webster.com...

As a parent of a ten year old, my heart goes out to the pain and loss.

But no. No case.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

JohnPhoenix
I fount this.. ( not from Petco)

They can't magicaly know that all the pets that the vendor sells are healthy. They can however provide you with a heath garintee, which they do. PETCO has a 15 day garentee that your pet will be well. If it is not then you can take it back to be taken to PETCO's vet. PETCO will reture your money and take the pet to the vet. When the pet is well agein you will be contacted and givin the option to buy him agein. You chose not to do it this way so your out of luck.
www.google.com...:en-US:unofficial&q=does+petco+guarantee+the+animals+will+be+infectio n+free%3F&spell=1&sa=X&ei=qtsNU_2aMtL82gXO4oCQAw&ved=0CCUQvwUoAA&biw=1307&bih=685

It doesn't help much - does anyone know a link to more info on this?

I think it's been told for ages "Rats carry disease's " we hear this from our mothers, and TV all through our lives. If i buy a snake will Petco guarantee it wont bite me? I don't think so.

The question is did Petco sell the rat as is with the full understanding the rat could be infected - there is just no way to know the rats infected and buyer buy at own risk.

It's STUPID to think you will buy a Clean RAT. it's not a cute lile domesticated Mouse, it's a RAT. Although it's unfortunate I don't think the family has a case. I think they need to suck it up and chalk up the kids death to their Stupidity and leave it at that.

Have you ever owned a rat? Im guessing not.
They make great pets, and I had one when I was about his age.
It's STUPID to think rats are born with diseases (when bred at the petstore). I think it's STUPID to say the family needs to "suck it up".
All-in-all I think they will have a hard time proving the rat was infected while it was at the store.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join