It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Told Catholic mother I was Christian after 15 years she thought I was Agnostic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
When I first told her I didn't believe in God, she told me "Well, I hope you do or you'll go to Hell"

We talked a lot about religious stuff tonight and eventually she got a headache. She gets real upset when I talk about Satan, and runs into her room. I didn't say anything about him then, I just wish she would be a little more open-minded. I know my father is agnostic, but he can't admit it to my mother. It seems like there was a time when she knew and she was fine with it, but that time has passed. She doesn't have to be so close-minded towards other religions, people were born into it, just like she was born into Catholicism as I. Nothing bothers me more than people who follow blindly, especially when they were born into doing it--not to mention the fact of how deluded the Bible has become among its followers.

Sometimes I just wish religious teachings could be a little more discreet.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Religious teachings are designed to be as non-discreet as possible, in the sense of lots of people knowing and following them. Those in power use religion as a veil to blind people to their true selves in my opinion. The way they do this is by using the truth and twisting its meaning and interpretation. They build lies on top of a foundation of truth because without that vein of truth no one would believe the lies.

I find it a little contradictory that people actually believe that in a world full of lies and corruption that the real truth has been preserved and promoted by those in power for hundreds or thousands of years. If it's mainstream it's most likely a lie, some if not most religious people know this, yet they turn a blind eye to their own particular religion.

If a Christian were born in the middle east they would most likely be Muslim and vice versa, yet they cannot see it that way. It's all a lie, anything as popular as the Bible or Quran cannot be truth because only information that benefits those in power is preserved.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

interesting theory, kind of da vinci theorish if anything.

I've found that my own morals have agreed with Christianity, as well as found other truths in it. I have to agree there are some missing links, and that the truth is not easily found in a book that has evolved in language over thousands of years.

I think Christianity has been becoming more discreet over the years, but these young people are constantly being burdened by the agenda of Atheists, and are forced to act rash.

Sure, you still got your evangelists, but at least the people they are targeting are less likely to be manipulated into something worse.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

When did you tell her you were christian and why do you think it matters to her so much what variant of brainwashing it is that you are involved with?

What is it about satan that makes her run away? A good religious woman would be able to hear the words and know in her heart she is safe. unless god only works behind closed doors.

What a shame so much delusion exists.. it's hard enough just being a human doing.. let alone trying to be one that lives up to the rules of a figment.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Jesus taught two laws, love God and serve each other in love.

I cant see any problems with either law, yes if you dont accept God then law 1 is redundant. Still law 2 is is a reasonable guide to live by if you can.

Interesting enough is how difficult these simple laws are

Anyway I figure anyone who complains about the teachings in the bible have lost sight of what it is teaching.

As for your mother, she is probably distressed that her child may be lost to her God.
Thats understandable isnt it?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
think you guys missed the point -_-;

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Jarring
When I first told her I didn't believe in God, she told me "Well, I hope you do or you'll go to Hell"

Sometimes I just wish religious teachings could be a little more discreet.
+
Well according to her beliefs, she didn't say anything that isn't true to her.
Think of this from the point of view, Her son, will be in Hell when he dies, so he will be in eternal pain. Don't you think that's a little harsh for a mother? Just saying. I know religious people can be annoying because they will defend their religion no matter how much evidence you may present them, but aside of that, you can question someone's belief up to a certain point. Your mother seems to be so sure of her beliefs that it's practically outrageous for her for you to tell her you don't believe in god. "what did I do wrong?" kind of thing may be.
You can see religion in two different ways:
1. it's meant to control the masses
2. It's meant to help people reach salvation.
Either way they need as much people as possible, don't you think?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
There are some spiritual teachings that are so sacred, they used to kill you if you spoke of them to anyone who was not initiated.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
There are some spiritual teachings that are so sacred, they used to kill you if you spoke of them to anyone who was not initiated.

Are you scared to tell us, I am interested
What spiritual teachings and what group?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

borntowatch

AfterInfinity

Are you scared to tell us, I am interested
What spiritual teachings and what group?

Try Googling it.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

The main part of the problem is that the mentality is "Oh, religion X is so much better than religion Y". No one wants to admit that something in their religion could be flawed.

I claim Agnostic on my end, even though the "official" religion mentioned is Roman Catholic. I've had people tell me that I'm going to burn, and I usually retort with the fact that if that's the case, then I won't have to worry about the cold ever again. Plus, if I'm to be sent there because I don't believe, and for no other reason, then in theory, wouldn't all the ancient Greek & Roman philosophers be down there too? I mean, they were pretty much Pagans after all.

In short: People are close minded because to be open to something outside of your belief set is a weakness; there's something "not right" about it.

-fossilera

top topics

join