It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory state-run parenting classes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Mandatory state-run parenting classes?

Yes this is actually a proposal in New York State Senate.

"Parents" would have to attend 4 mandatory classes selected from 12 different workshop subjects called "parent support instruction programs".

And, employers would have to offer one full day off per year with pay.

And, your child would not be able to advance to 7th grade unless the parents do this.

from the summary;

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS:

Section 1. Amends the Education Law, Section 3212 subdivision 2 by adding a new paragraph f. Requires parents of elementary school children to attend a minimum of four parent support instruction programs prior to the child's advancement to the seventh grade. Requires employers to provide one day per year of paid job leave for the purposes of attending such support instruction programs.

Via Ace. “Not only would parents have to attend” if they want their kid to pass sixth grade, notes Walter Olson at Cato, “but for good measure the bill would require employers to bestow a paid day off each year for employees who are parents to do so.” Sounds good to some New Yorkers, as you’re about to see.

Here’s the bill, which you can read in 30 seconds. The state would put together workshops on 12 different subjects with parents required to attend four, one of which must be a workshop on sexual abuse. That’s the bill’s saving grace potentially; even Democrats who might otherwise balk at forcing parents to take state instruction on caring for their kids (are there any Democrats like that left?) will think twice before opposing a law that seeks to prevent child abuse. And for the ones who won’t balk, this makes for a nice foothold for future expansions of state oversight into largely private matters. Bloomberg’s much-mocked Big Gulp ban operated the same way. It was a small inconvenience in practice, but the principle is significant. That’s why it was worth his time.

Article;
Coming soon to New York: Mandatory state-run parenting classes?

The bill proposal;
Bill S142-2013

What's Next?

"Parent Licenses" ?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This seems like a preposterous idea to rational people. Unfortunately, its not only rational people that breed. I actually think mandatory classes are a good thing. In NYS you need a license to sell a hand made stuffed pillow for heaven's sake. With some of the people I come into contact with through work, the classes would definitely be helpful. Of course, NYS didn't think the follow through very carefully. What type of threat is it to not have your child go to 7th grade? Some of the parents I've seen wouldn't care. What does the state do then? Make the child a ward of the state? Then it falls back on our tax dollars.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

How insane.

So let me get this straight.

I can have a straight a student, but unless I go ahead and partake in what the State deems 'proper parenting' workshops, then my kids gets penalized?

Excuse the hell out of me, but as a parent, I'd be rioting in the streets the first time some bureaucrat makes me take a test on how to best raise my children.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
There are some parents out there that really could use this. But not ALL! I think there should be certain criteria for the requirements.

And, employers should not have to pay for this...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join