It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Good Samaritan backfire", one man's encounter with police brutality.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

yes i posted that in another thread, didn't want to use it to much.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

It wont ever happen, the police unions will pick apart anyone who tries to do this.

I mean everyone knows the fox is the best guy to police the foxes raiding the hen house, it isnt like it is a conflict of interest or something.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

oblvion

The problem- Leos are not being held accountable a significant portion of the time, for severe misdeeds, and outright criminal activity, including but not limited to, rape, torture, theft, assault, assault with the intent to commit severe bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, obstruction of justice, false arrest, falsifying police reports, lying under oath and of course........MURDER, just flat out cold blooded, pointless, needless MURDER.

This is the core of the problem as you said, lack of accountability. The police are (of course) an authoritative force within the societal paradigm which are left to essentially determine oversight and punishment of themselves. This inevitably leads mission creep, abuse of power, etc... that spirals further and further out of control; until the public begins to resist.

The public in the U.S. is resisting. However, many demonstrations large or small, lawsuits and general civil disobedience are either completely ignored by the media or the participants are painted as criminal, crazy, lazy, aimless (usually poor)malcontents or some combination in order to discredit them and discourage further manifestations of resistance.

This lack of accountability within law enforcement, coupled with this media spin results in a populace that is brainwashed out of acting, or simply afraid to step up. This does effectively create a sort of resigned apathy. We are now getting to the point where law enforcement is not just emboldened enough but combative enough to treat the public at large as the enemy. They can get away with trampling on your rights and they know it. This will only get worse. Although, I do think that social networking and informal mass media have been good ways to raise awareness (such as the man in the article) of this escalating predicament. I hope people will continue to generally document, and hopefully film interaction with the police, but I suspect that filming at least will become illegal within the next few years.
edit on 26-2-2014 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2014 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

They cannot make it illegal, the SCOTUS has already made the ruling on it, and it was affirmed that citizens have the right to video record LEOs doing their job. As public servants working out in public they have no expectation of privacy.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

flammadraco
reply to post by FirePiston

Or maybe its because the police enrolment now has to take on officers with an average or below average IQ. Officers with a high IQ are barred from joining the police force.

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

abcnews.go.com...

Maybe he should spend the next year watching reality shows and then take the test again.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

oblvion
reply to post by redhorse

They cannot make it illegal, the SCOTUS has already made the ruling on it, and it was affirmed that citizens have the right to video record LEOs doing their job. As public servants working out in public they have no expectation of privacy.

This time. However, as the momentum builds in this classic conflict between the need for control and the need for liberty, surveillance by the public of "public servants" will become an issue again, and again, and again... Until the top of the hierarchy gets their way.

So, while I sincerely hope that you are correct I think you may be surprised. They always find a work around. If continued public surveillance of police ferments continued and growing resistance to authority they will do their best to take it away from us.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I truly hope that with what is taking place in North America with the militarization of the pigs and the recent events in the Ukraine where unarmed civilians were gunned down in the street in cold blood, that foolish and ignorant anti-gun types are finally getting the message of why America has a Second Amendment. I know it's hard to believe for those that have been coddled their whole lives but the time is getting closer that you just might *have to* sling an AR-15 over your shoulder to ensure your safety while protesting in the street.

I don't know how many beat downs by the pigs, suspension of constitutional rights and unlawful detentions it takes until certain groups actually get it. I know many people in Toronto sure do after what took place during the G-20 protests.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie

like i've said time and time again, there are some good cops and some bad cops out there, and they may have to be dealt with accordingly.

Sorry but I could not disagree more with this statement.

It is my belief that if one were to really stop and think about it, they could only come to one conclusion....There are no good cops

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

flammadraco
Why are you guys putting up with this in the USA? Why are you all not taking to the streets in protest?

Here in the UK a police officer killed an unarmed man and we had a week of riots all over the country. The police in the UK would not dream of half the s**t our US cousins put up with. Seems to me that you guys have given up and expect it, or your living by the old saying "if it don't affect me, then its none of my business" but its this mentality that has allowed these thugs to get away with treating you and your fellow countrymen as criminals.

What has happened to the USA, once a great country and a land of dreams and now is quickly becoming a police state. Not such a great country any more when your own LEO are worse than the Mafia and gangs.

You are so wrong and lead a sheltered life. I was banged up by police in the UK for nothing but complaining about 3 police officers stood on the back of a guy whilst two others beat him.

In Australia, I was locked up for refusing to pay a taxi driver who had charged me over 3 times the usual fair. No violence, I sat on the curbside waiting for the police to arrive, I was arrested and when asked if I paid I said no because he is charging me $60 for a $20 cab ride - locked up straight away, charged with failing to pay.

My one word of advise, never say anything, never accept anything, no comment all the way as they will use it against you.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SirDrinksalot

I do not agree with you, and yes I am sure there are incidents in both the UK and Australia where corrupt police operate, but have a little look at the posse comitatus threads here on ATS www.abovetopsecret.com... and then tell me how many of these relate to the UK and Australian Police force. I think you will find a majority are in the USA.

As said, if any of these stories on the link I provided to you had happened in the UK or Australia, the people would be in an uproar and taking to the streets. However in the US the government had divided & conquered society to such an extent that nobody seems to give a damn any more.

And how would you know what kind of life I have lead to make the assumption that it has been sheltered? If you don't like or agree with my comments so be it, but lets not get personal. You have no idea about my life and as such keep your personal comments to yourself.
edit on 27.2.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
If the system is corrupt at the top it will trickle down I suppose..

Its illegal to import goods produced by forced or jailed labour into the USA.

However the USA has the highest prison population of the world Link

Products made in the US prisons..

11 products you might not realize were made by prisoners

I heard on an English program that 100% of all military helmets, bullet proof vests, dog tags are made in US prisons.

Modern day backdoor slave labour could be a motive of an ill trained unprofessional corrupt police force and or legal system.

(shrugs)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

FirePiston

InverseLookingGlass

Your post has nothing to do with the OP and should be ignored. You are part of the problem. Someone that is doing something you don't approve of should have their rights diminished. Wannabe authoritarian for sure.

How did your application to police academy go?

Yes it does.. Maybe the police are tired of skinny jean occupy hippy protestors like this type. Who protest but yet really do not know what they are protesting about other than wanting someone to pay their college bills. Maybe police are sick of working 12 hour shifts while these hippys have all the time in the world yet still have money somehow.
Firepiston

So that gives the police the right to beat the crap out of, and incarcerate anyone that is somehow different to them?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

flammadraco
reply to post by SirDrinksalot

As said, if any of these stories on the link I provided to you had happened in the UK or Australia, the people would be in an uproar and taking to the streets. However in the US the government had divided & conquered society to such an extent that nobody seems to give a damn any more.

Flamma,

It's not that we dont give a damn anymore. We have seen what the government will do to small groups of citizens when they are unhappy with them (Ruby Ridge, Waco, ect). Those of use with a smidgen of cognitive power know that we cannot take a stance in small isolated groups or we will disappear in some dramatic fashion that will not be covered by MSM. It is my sincere hope that someone would find out about it and post our memories on ATS though, lol. Instead we are patiently waiting for the day when TPTB inadvertantly piss of the sleeping majority of the populace. On that day we can begin the work that needs to be done.

It's not lazy-ness or complacency, it's survival. I don't plan on being a martyr, I want to enjoy the fruits of freedom when it is regained.

-Dark

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragondark

I feel for you guys, I really do. I hope you guys don't have to have your own "Spring Revolution" and that someone can stand for President and do the right thing. It seems to me on the outside looking in that it's a very "Them and Us" mentality. The unfortunate thing is corporations run the American government. Seems everyone is in someone else's pockets. The first thing you guys need to do is ban lobbyist from having anything to do with politics.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Lobbyists are a problem, unfortunately any legislation trying to limit their influence has failed. It's not surprising when you look at the amount of money the lobby industry generates versus the pocket cash of those trying to initiate the legislation. It's very hard for us to work against unions for the same reason, they have very deep pockets since they collect dues from all of their members, and the union endorses a candidate of it's choosing not the candidate it's member choose to endorse. It's kind of amazing the reversal of roles, the government and unions where created to give voice to the people they represent and now the people they represent have no say.

Another large problem is that large population centers in the states tend to swing the outcomes through use of the electoral college. Kalifornia, where I live, carries a large influence. What most people outside of Kalifornia don't realize is that the majority of the state is agricultural land with views very different from the large metropolitan areas. Kalifornia is seen as a 'liberal' state, but outside of San Francisco, LA, Monterey, and San Diego areas most people do not consider themselves liberals. We are trying to find a way to have more of a voice in Kali, but once again the money (and with it the advertising and campaigning to the ignorant populace) is in their favor.

-Dark

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

How this story should have gone:

Cop: "Your assistance is not needed. You need to leave the area immediately."

Dude: "Okay."

The End

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

HomerinNC

there are some good cops and some bad cops out there

I disagree, if the so called 'good cops' do NOTHING about the 'bad cops', they ARE BAD COPS AS WELL!!!!

Except for Christopher Dorner, he was a good cop! R.I.P. at least he tried!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

mantisfortress

How this story should have gone:

Cop: "Your assistance is not needed. You need to leave the area immediately."

Dude: "Okay."

The End

Hey mantisfortress, question: what does it feel like to be wrong, and a troll? That about sums up your post here.
Just saying!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Are you a troll, or a shill? I'm trying to figure out your angle here firepiston. You're obviously one of the two........

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

just remember their reactions after hurricane katrina and the boston bombing when a hole city was locked up for 1 guy now they really need all the armoured vehicles when the number of leo's shot is at a all time low since the 1880;s .

those guys need video;s on them for the public safety

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join