It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Leaders Issue Fatwa Against a One-Way Trip to Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Islamic leaders in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have issued a Fatwa against the one-way trip to Mars that the group "Mars One" is attempting to organize. It seems the problem the Islamic leaders have with the trip is that they feel it could be a suicide mission, which is against Islamic law.

by the way...
I DON'T WANT THIS THREAD DEVOLVING INTO AN DISCUSSION ABOUT ISLAMIC SUICIDE TERRORISTS, so don't even try

Now that I got that out of my system, here is an article and an excerpt. It seems to me that the UAE does not have much faith in the ability for "Mars One" to safely get people to mars and keep them alive once they get there.

That's a concern for the General Authority of Islamic Affairs & Endowments, or GAIAE, the United Arab Emirates' religious watchdog, for anyone who wishes to travel to Mars. The GAIAE has issued a fatwa, or an official Islamic ruling, to warn Muslims against a Mars mission.

So far, the UAE has supported space travel. Abu Dhabi's Aabar Investments teamed up with Richard Branson's Virgin group to create Virgin Galactic to provide spaceflights for tourists, starting this year. But a mission to Mars, it seems, is one step too far.

The mission is being planned by the Dutch nonprofit foundation Mars One. In April 2013, it announced its ambitions to establish a human settlement on the Red Planet by 2024.

But the GAIAE likens the journey to a suicide mission. On the authority's free 24-hour hotline, the issue was deliberated by the center's specialized muftis, or scholars, who issued the following statement: "It is not permissible to travel to Mars and never to return if there is no life on Mars. The chances of dying are higher than living."

Source:
UAE Islamic affairs authority warns Muslims against a mission to Mars

For there part, Mars One responded that they feel they could ensure the relative safety of the crew:

In response, Mars One issued a statement asking the UAE's Islamic authorities to cancel the fatwa, saying every precaution would be taken to reduce the risk to life. "If we may be so bold: the GAIAE should not analyze the risk as they perceive it today," the statement says. "The GAIAE should assess the potential risk for humans as if an unmanned habitable outpost is ready and waiting on Mars. Only when that outpost is established will human lives be risked in Mars One's plan."

The statement includes a verse from the Quran that "encourages Muslims to go out and see the signs of God's creation in the 'heavens and the earth.' " It goes on to say the first Martian settlers would walk in the footsteps of great Muslim explorers like Ibn Battuta, the 14th century Moroccan journeyman whose travels took him across North Africa, the Middle East and Asia.

A second article:
Muslims 'warned in Fatwa not to live on Mars'

edit on 2/25/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

It is a suicide mission and Islam can't control it's own people why criticize another countries space program? (or did I delve into Islamic terrorism again?)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Bah! I see now that there already is a thread under the "Middle East Issues" forum. I didn't look there.

Mods, feel free to do what you want with this thread, but it certainly seems more like a space exploration issue than a Middle East issue.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Can't convert people who aren't here. And LIFE is a suicide mission, how do they get around that?

(second line)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I see no reason why this thread shouldn't continue as yours is posted in a space exploration and as you requested a modicum of civility in reference to the suicide aspect.

As to the issue I can understand the reasoning and I believe as more information as to the mission is revealed their stance will change.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
this was posted a week ago :cheers
ld news

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Fatwa....pah. Ironic don't you think?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

In comparison to the Mars One project, being born here on Earth is a Suicide Mission as well.

The brave explorers that will undergo the journey are going to Mars to LIVE.

Yes, it's dangerous.
Yes, it could very well be deadly.
Yes, even if "successful" in all regards the colonists will die on Mars (hopefully of old age).

They are, however, not going there to die, but, to LIVE.

edit on 2/25/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I think they gave a good response back.

2nd line.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Maybe they will send back a radio transmission?

"Dear Earth. You won't believe who we found up here on Mars. God! And he tells us that Allah is not pleased with the humans. Hope you guys can sort that. Buddha is hogging all the nibbles and Jesus doesn't know what to do. PS, it's rather nice here. Lots of love."

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The chances of dying are higher than living."

Well this is a silly statement... the chances of dying is 100%

Its a one way ticket... LOL

Simple solution though... don't send muslims

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

This is why religious zealots tend to keep civilization in stone age

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
My take on this is: Great! It would be better for humanity if religious fundamentalism to stayed on this planet, we certainly do not need to take it into space. Imagine a 'Sharia for Mars' campaign?

God wept.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

ok - I wont mention suicide bombers - but I reserve the right to insult the idiocy behind this fatwa :

the "mars one " mission - is NOT a ` suicide mission ` in any rational sense and it irks me that this is how it is refered to .

while it is true that its a one way trip - that does not correlate to " suicide mission "

but onto the fatwa - it is narrow minded , and backwards looking - everyone is going to die - and it does not matter if its here or on mars - what matters is that you did something

if you ban going to mars - because you are going to die [ eventually ] - whats the point of anything ?

lastly , I would expect moslem authorities with any vision and backbone - to embrace exploration - with the tag line " taking the glory of allah to mars "

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People
Islamic leaders in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have issued a Fatwa against the one-way trip to Mars that the group "Mars One" is attempting to organize. It seems the problem the Islamic leaders have with the trip is that they feel it could be a suicide mission, which is against Islamic law.

My only comment on the suicide issue is why don't they ever voice that concern when terrorists blow themselves up.

With that being said I don't follow their logic. One can argue that life on Earth is also a suicide mission so to speak. Why should it matter, and what is the difference, between dying on Earth as opposed to Mars?

Secondly how did they view the time periods on earth when humans were exploring the globe? Those missions were very much suicide missions as well, until they located the new world and continued to explore beyond it.

Finally I find it peculiar that they would invoke Islam to support their argument. Since Islam cannot be forced on others (they must convert voluntarily / Islamic laws do not apply to non Muslims) I don't see where their objections have merit.

Could it be possible that the objection is not so much over it being a one way mission but the possibility that Islam will not be represented in the first group going to Mars?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

starwarsisreal

This is why religious zealots tend to keep civilization in stone age

Well because that is the purpose of religion ALL of them!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

It doesn't matter how much money is acquired or its clout in the world, if you have a medieval mentality, that money is only going to fund medieval activities.

The Dutch need people with vision and ingenuity as well as funding. With the possibility of a colony on Mars and all that would offer both in knowledge and dealing with over population (without forcible emigration) and a wealth of there things, this is something that we should all be excited about.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Could it be possible that the objection is not so much over it being a one way mission but the possibility that Islam will not be represented in the first group going to Mars?

And there you most likely have hit the nail on the head.

If Mars One succeeds, and they beat any other manned mission to Mars, the individuals that step foot on Mars will be remembered forever.

For me, the importance is that HUMANITY did this. However, many groups will concern themselves more with who those individuals are:

Where any of them Americans? Where they French? Where they Korean?

Where they black? White? Asian?

Where they Christians? Muslim? Or any other held beliefs?

I bet if any one of them were to be a person that practices being a Muslim, that they would remove that Fatwa quickly.

Such petty concerns in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

join