It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mt gox bitcoin scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Well lucky me didn't deposit a dime into this, unlike that of SG way back in 2000, losing 932.64 cents, lost nothing, I signed up to transfer bitcoin into my account from another bit coin exchange sent off documents said documents pending and said that for weeks on end contacted them and got nothing. I dumped them.

Today a story comes out saying bitcoin money stolen website down, sounds just like SG, money laundering maybe,

Dear MtGox Customers,

In light of recent news reports and the potential repercussions on MtGox's operations and the market, a decision was taken to close all transactions for the time being in order to protect the site and our users. We will be closely monitoring the situation and will react accordingly.

Best regards,
MtGox Team

What is weird about this message is that it reminds of SG itself and those messages they gave us. Thank you so much for the money our bank accounts are flushed.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by warren408

Surprise, Surprise!! Actually not if you listened to not only me but many others who warned people to stay away from this scam for a while now! Sorry to all those who didn't hear the warnings and lost your money....Someone is on a beach right now sipping on a fancy tropical drink on your dime! We are all used to it though, how the American government has been run for decades now....

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Somebody beat you to it, but I hope most people had the sense to move anything significant out of their accounts a good while ago when (or before) the bitcoin SHTF.

edit on 2014-02-25T13:12:52-06:002014520212kTueAmerica/ChicagobTue, 25 Feb 2014 13:12:52 -0600 by cosmikDebris because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
the good thing about peer to peer crypto currency is... I can keep my coins on a secured thumb drive and away from my computer until I'm ready to transfer and use them. Personal wallet is the way to go but keeping it off your pc is even better. there are known viri out there that are made to search your PC for coins and report back so people can steal them from you.

Websites and phone sare no different and just as vulnerable.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Bitcoin as a system is fine its just one lousy online bank that has screwed up. It seems they might have been victim to the 'transaction malleability' flaw that was announced a few weeks back. Or it might just be the way they ran their business. Or it might be because of some of the money that has been seized by the American government last year. All the other exchanges are doing ok.

I had some BTC in mt.Gox and have lost several 1000 in cash. I was lucky though that i took some out and exchanged it for another crypto currency 2 weeks before this happened. So my original investment was safe but the profit i made by buying the coins cheap last year has gone..for now.

It may be that they reopen and pay some of the money back , there are rumors of an acquisition but for now i'm just counting the money as gone. All in all its my own fault for not keeping the coins on my own hard drive. That's the last online bank ill ever use for sure.

edit on 25-2-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

As if this was never going to happen. Digital currency is dangerous.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

Every currency in the world is digital currency.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

StallionDuck
the good thing about peer to peer crypto currency is... I can keep my coins on a secured thumb drive and away from my computer until I'm ready to transfer and use them. Personal wallet is the way to go but keeping it off your pc is even better. there are known viri out there that are made to search your PC for coins and report back so people can steal them from you.

Websites and phone sare no different and just as vulnerable.

Yeah what is the point in using crypto currency if you are not going to keep it on your own secure drive/network? Putting all of your money into an exchange like Mt. Gox seems no different then me taking all of my US dollars handing them over to the Big Banks.

new topics

top topics

join