It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS....promoter of disinformation and ignorance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
AboveTopSecret.com
deny ignorance

Deny ignorance? The majority of this site has degraded into a discussion board for opinion from around the globe. Personal opinion abounds, truth is nowhere to be found. Quotes from myriad webpages are used to "verify" information, as if these websites should be taken as unadulterated, unquestionable truth.

I visit this site primarily for humor, seldom in a quest for "truth". There appears to be no limit to the amount of opinion, the diatribes, the disinformation, the skewed reports, the links to dubious websites, all in a failed quest to represent truth.

As though many on this site who so gallantly post their links believe the information printed on the webpage(s) so carefully searched is without doubt accurate. It appears these very members have succumbed to the belief that the internet, and the information contained within its massive, cavernous, web, is reliable to quote as a defense for one's argument.

SEE, SEE!!! It says it right here, click here, and here, and here, and you will see my point is supported, in fact, you will see, it is TRUE!!!

What can be done to curb the rhetoric, and truly make this a website which is dedicated to determining truth?

smoken

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
People quote websights because its a pain in ther arse to scan a paper

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The world is ending, twice today I have agreed with KID.

Hey smokie, you are correct, just because it is on the "net" doesn't make it true. Truth has changed, it is relative now. Just like 2+2=5, its all in the "point-of-view". Everything is GRAY..............

What happened to Right and Wrong, Black and White and E=MC2

Public schools is what happened....................

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
AboveTopSecret.com
deny ignorance

Deny ignorance? The majority of this site has degraded into a discussion board for opinion from around the globe.

Well yeahhhhhhhh

Of course there are threads which discuss various topics and opinions.

Thats what a forum is all about. Discussion.

I have had some excellent comments from the threads i have posted and never ridiculed anyone's assumption of what they believe to be the truth about what ever subject they are posting to.

The idea is to make your up own mind about various issues discussed within ATC.

If people provide links, its because it adds to the post they are discussing. Makes sense to me.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
The world is ending, twice today I have agreed with KID.

Just dont get me going on US politics and we will be alright
See, us democrates are tolerable

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Rhetoric????? I think that a website like this one allows me to hear other points of view from my own and gives me more insight. Whether I agree with you or not is irrelevant. The more I educate myself and listen to all possibilities, the more likely I am to come to the right conclusion (truth).

Peace out

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

There appears to be no limit to the amount of opinion, the diatribes, the disinformation, the skewed reports, the links to dubious websites, all in a failed quest to represent truth.

Is this your opinion?
I guess you are proving your own point.

Good move to turn the blame on ATS as a "promoter of ignorance". Yet another conspiracy theory about this place, not to mention a drama bomb looking for points.

Personally, I blame the Democrats for this mess. After all, didn't Al Gore invent the internet?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Personally, I blame the Democrats for this mess. After all, didn't Al Gore invent the internet?

HEY! I resemble that remark!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

AboveTopSecret.com
deny ignorance

Deny ignorance? The majority of this site has degraded into a discussion board for opinion from around the globe. Personal opinion abounds, truth is nowhere to be found. Quotes from myriad webpages are used to "verify" information, as if these websites should be taken as unadulterated, unquestionable truth.

So then, what is truth? Define truth? Who do you get the truth from?
Fox?CNN?NBC? The media who is apparantly on our side such as the AP?

Are these more credible sources of information? Sources of information that doesn't report half of the topics on this site? I get the latest news on ATSNN before I get them on the major networks..

Who do you trust?

Truth is relative and is in the eye of the beholder...

I visit this site primarily for humor, seldom in a quest for "truth". There appears to be no limit to the amount of opinion, the diatribes, the disinformation, the skewed reports, the links to dubious websites, all in a failed quest to represent truth.

Failed to you perhaps, if you want a good laugh why "waste" your time here then, there are many sites and channels where you can get a good laugh. Obviously if your sticking around for #s and giggles you got too much time on your hands.

As though many on this site who so gallantly post their links believe the information printed on the webpage(s) so carefully searched is without doubt accurate. It appears these very members have succumbed to the belief that the internet, and the information contained within its massive, cavernous, web, is reliable to quote as a defense for one's argument.

Debunk all you want with your empty insulting words, I don't see you coming in here providing any relibale sources of information, all I see is someone trying to shout down other people's "finds" with a snarky attitude.

SEE, SEE!!! It says it right here, click here, and here, and here, and you will see my point is supported, in fact, you will see, it is TRUE!!!

All sources of information get their sources of information from elsewhere.
Ever read the back of a book? Ever write an essay?
Again truth is relative and is in the eye of the beholder...
Who are you to go around putting other people down for providing sources and links, are you the almighty truth bearer or something??

What can be done to curb the rhetoric, and truly make this a website which is dedicated to determining truth?

Complaining doesn't get you anywhere have you noticed??
And since you have it all figured out about what's wrong with this site, why don't you try doing something constructive and figuring it our for yourself, or is that too hard since problem solving doesn't seem to be one of your strong points...

[edit on 23-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Don't you mean "internets"?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The majority of this site has degraded into a discussion board for opinion from around the globe. Personal opinion abounds, truth is nowhere to be found.

I understand what you are saying, but this site is basicly a discussion board for things unproven or unexplained. People are digging for the truth about things they have little to no hard evidence for. How else is a person supossed to do this without opinions or theories?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Deny ignorance? The majority of this site has degraded into a discussion board for opinion from around the globe.

Damn us non Americans, inhabiting the internet that rightfully belongs to the USA!

You want soley American opinions and 'facts', go watch Fox. If you can't cope with a global view of issues, take your ball and go home.

DE

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I must say I have to agree with this one, the above go's for a lot of
conspiracy, paranormal websites. Albeit not all.
Kind of like using the Bible to prove the Bible.
However on a personal level I find ATS very informative %99.9 of the time

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
You want soley American opinions and 'facts', go watch Fox.

Oh no you just didn't! Don't associate my opinions with that mess, you crazy Canadian!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   

AboveTopSecret.com
deny ignorance

Deny ignorance? The majority of this site has degraded into a discussion board for opinion from around the globe. Personal opinion abounds, truth is nowhere to be found. Quotes from myriad webpages are used to "verify" information, as if these *snip* blah blah blah blah blah *snip*

So I'm assuming this is basically just a bi-arch session then.

How about use the Complaints link...or post in the Rants Forum on BelowTopSecret.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have no desire for points in this thread, I merely wished to cast a light on the question of "truth", and what, in fact, it is. I thought carefully before posting, knowing some would misinterpret. That is fine. Already I have read some interesting things here, and have obviously stepped on some toes. It is amazing how much one can read into the typed word.

I don't take any "news" source in this day and age as providing "truth". In fact, it is quite the opposite.

Wow, this ought to be quite a fun thread indeed!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
you guys are going to think that I'm crazy...

but wasn't this exact same thread up the other day ? All of these posts have today's date on them though....

I mean... post for post ? I swear I have read through all of this before, word for word...

wow major dejavu....... wow.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes and No.

The ongoing debate over 'Absolutes', be it True & False, Right & Wrong, etc. hasn't actually changed much in the last 2000 years. The best we've come up with so far is that it's 'Relative to the Point of View of the Observer."

However, when it comes to 2+2=5, that doesn't fall victim to Perspective anymore and is simply Incorrect. As long as we all use the same Mathematical Rules surrounding those symbols, we will both have the same answers. The reason is that Mathematics avoid the Logical Problems found within Language.

As for ATS and it's ability to Live up to it's Motto??? It will only ever be as good as those who Invest in it. It provides a public place for anyone to discuss any topic. (almost any topic anyway) It also allows for that topic to be challenged by others. What more can you really ask for???

Also, the motto is Deny Ignorance, not Provide Truth, there is a big difference between the two. 'Deny Ignorance' can be both Ignorance of the Truth as well as Ignorance of the Lies, while 'Provide Truth' only allows for one option and not the other.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
you guys are going to think that I'm crazy...

but wasn't this exact same thread up the other day ? All of these posts have today's date on them though....

I mean... post for post ? I swear I have read through all of this before, word for word...

wow major dejavu....... wow.

I was thinking the same thing... I could of swore this was already posted....
not the other day though, maybe a few weeks ago or something...
me too deja vu.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
you guys are going to think that I'm crazy... but wasn't this exact same thread up the other day ? All of these posts have today's date on them though.... I mean... post for post ? I swear I have read through all of this before, word for word... wow major dejavu....... wow.

Could be!?! My memory is shot. Well, if it is then at least I am consistent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join