It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR-15 Issued to School Police in One Utah District

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
AR-15 issued to school police in one Utah district

AR-15 rifles have been issued to school police in one Utah district.The Granite School District Police Department said it has equipped all officers with the weapons in a bid to reassure parents. Police Chief Randy Johnson said that the high-caliber rifles would help in "rapid response" situations. "If we don't get in and stop the shooter, more people are going to die,” Johnson told NBC station KSL.

So how long until they start putting leg irons on the prisoners I mean students. If they are so worried about school shootings of which none have happened in Utah why doesn't these school "police" just post guards at the doors? When it gets to the point that you turn the school into a armed fortress then you have a problem. If these parents are so worried their kids are going to get shot at school then it's time to start homeschooling.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Funny, the article didnt use the term "assault weapon/rifle" once.

Love how the newspeak works.

Police have rifles and you have an assault weapon. They're the same damn things that operate in the same damn way and likley came from the same damn retailer but theirs is clean and yours is dirty.

Just like the police have sharpshooters and you all have snipers. Eeeewwww, those evil snipers. But sharpshooters are glorious instruments of justice.

And there's this gem:

"If we don't get in and stop the shooter, more people are going to die,” Johnson told NBC station KSL. ... “We know that we don’t have a lot of time to save people’s lives.”

Well, jeepers it's a good thing the zone is gun-free (as far as lawful carriers are concerned) and the cops are twenty minutes away.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Randy Johnson is incorrect about the AR 15 being a high caliber.....its basicly just a 22 with a bigger shell . Not a high caliber weapon . This is why people demonize these weapons. Because the so called experts don't know what they are talking about and it makes others that don't know afraid . And what happens when the person who is in charge of that weapon has a bad day and goes off the deep end and goes to work and decides to shoot people ?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have a bad feeling that another school is in the cross hairs to show the public that ALL officers must have these Nation wide.

Hope I'm wrong.

Peace

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

What the hell is "school police"??

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
...and I'd just like to add it conditions the kids to living in a
police state...for no apparent reason other than condition the kids.

also...AR-15?

I'm not a big gun guy, but that's a pretty indiscriminate weapon
designed for putting ALOT of lead down-range. I suppose you could
use select-fire and be fairly accurate with it, but it seems a poor
choice of weapon for any school shooting scenario...

I mean are we worried about the lives of the police in a school
shooting instance, or are we worried about the kids?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Oh.. brilliant. Bad enough they have "assault weapons", as they MUST call those when a civilian holds it, but to have a .223 rifle?! What the heck are they thinking?!

Sure... .223 isn't high caliber. It's .223 in diameter, just like a .22 bullet. It's high power though. It's very high velocity and one of the higher for that. It'll tear right through a child, the child behind him and maybe through the wall behind THEM...depending entirely on whether the bullet found a bone or a stud in the wall to stop with.

Why not MP-5's? Germans make a good gun and a 9mm isn't punching through walls...

Oh.. What ammo by the way??? Since we're all about greening up our ammo boxes, lead seems out. That leaves frangible (I doubt it for that and cost) or more solid metals like steel core, which is in surplus with how much churned out as green tip ammo for the wars.

I see nothing but bad in this idea. Bad bad bad. If the school needs an armed response? Call the REAL Police Department. The SCHOOL doesn't need AR-15 Rifles.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure the cops are not walking around with a rifle slung over their backs in a crowded hallway full of kids, that would just be stupid.

Still having the rifle to fall back on is a pretty good idea.
If a rouge student brings a AK and all you have is your G19 standard issue carry pistol you'd feel a little outgunned but with a AR at your disposal you've just evened the odds and maybe have a chance to stop the bad guys before they take a life
edit on 25-2-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

HardCorps

I'm pretty sure the cops are not walking around with a rifle slung over their backs in a crowded hallway full of kids, that would just be stupid.

Still having the rifle to fall back on is a pretty good idea.
If a rouge student brings a AK and all you have is your G19 standard issue carry pistol you'd feel a little outgunned but with a AR at your disposal you've just evened the odds and maybe have a chance to stop the bad guys before they take a life

Why should they even be issued AR-15's if they are going to leave them in the office. What good would they do if someone did try something. Is the pretend cop going to say wait before you do anything so I can go get my rifle? What if a bunch of kids overpower these pretend cops and take their rifles from them then what? Like I said in my first post if parents are so scared then start homeschooling because there is no good reason for a school cop to have a rifle.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

You've never been to a school that has campus cops have you?

Normally they have an office where they handle the routine security issues, like handing out school ID's or taking reports of stolen backpacks, breaking up school yard fights, looking for drug dealers Etc. This office is probably where they keep them in a gun safe or weapons locker. Fairly easy to get to if needed yet properly secured.

Edit to add:
Remember too a school is a reflection of the community around it. whatever troubles, violence, behavior issues will be right there too... and like you said, if you don't like it... homeschool or just move... That's what the wife and I did, moved back to SW Colorado when Wichita KS got to worrisome and made us fear for our daughters safety

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

jude11
I have a bad feeling that another school is in the cross hairs to show the public that ALL officers must have these Nation wide.

Hope I'm wrong.

Peace

For the most part police agencies do have these weapons. The north Hollywood shootout in LA was the catalyst to introduce patrol rifles. Prior to that the weapons were , mainly restricted to SWAT / SRU / etc. The weapons used by LAPD could not penetrate the body armor, in addition they were also outgunned. Engaging a person with a full automatic weapon with a hand gun presents problems.

The biggest is range / accuracy. The rifles are more accurate / farther reaching than a hand gun is.

As for how officers respond, that was established during the Columbine school shooting. Response to active shooter no longer required officers to secure the perimeter and wait for swat to arrive. The first arriving officers will now (in general) be able to enter and engage / stop the suspect.
edit on 25-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

ColCurious

What the hell is "school police"??

Larger school districts in the United States have introduced School resource officers / school police. The officers have the same authority as any law enforcement officer (in general). They are able to do criminal investigations / investigations instead of using local law enforcement. The schools in my area use school police. They have an agreement where anything felony must be turned over to the regular police for investigation.

Anything less can be investigated by school police.
They can reduce response time in the event of an active shooter.
They are more familiar with the layout of the schools.

The other factor to consider is it allows the ability of the school to try and resolve / help problem students in house instead of issuing criminal charges and prosecuting them.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

rival
...and I'd just like to add it conditions the kids to living in a
police state...for no apparent reason other than condition the kids.

also...AR-15?

I'm not a big gun guy, but that's a pretty indiscriminate weapon
designed for putting ALOT of lead down-range. I suppose you could
use select-fire and be fairly accurate with it, but it seems a poor
choice of weapon for any school shooting scenario...

I mean are we worried about the lives of the police in a school
shooting instance, or are we worried about the kids?

I sincerely doubt that the AR-15s in question are actually "assault rifles" by the technically correct term (fully automatic/burst capable). These would be semi-automatic rifles - 1 bullet per trigger pull.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I have no issue as far as the weapons go. I would require that any of these "school police" at minimum have a military background as well as advanced training on the use of these weapons. Thunder Ranch comes to mind as a possible training venue.

Also they do not need to carry AR15's around, they can be secured in an arms locker and retrieved much quicker than waiting for a 5-20 minute response from the local cops.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
In a country where police can't be trusted to display proper safety and trigger discipline with the use of their sidearms, Someone decides to give them AR-15's.....
edit on 2/25/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
...If the school needs an armed response? Call the REAL Police Department....

Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Wow. Thanks for the clarification.

The US is truly getting stranger by the day. Just wow.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
and NOW

we

know EXACT why all the 'shootings' have happened.. but we knew this ALL along..it's just a confirmation.

can we say .. 'hemmed in'...oh and good luck on getting your kids out of the school when the time comes...parents need to pray that when the SHTF it's not on a weekday during 9am.. It will be a LONG time before they see them ..
edit on 25-2-2014 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Anyone else get the feeling that the first person to be shot will be a child/student ? Long term, this is purely to get kids to be totally compliant zombies.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
YEEEEHAA!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join