It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know anything about planets in Alpha Centauri?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hey for any astronomers out there answer me a question. I hear NASA and SETI looking everywhere but right next door to us for habitable planets. Does anyone know if astronomers can see any planets near Alpha Centauri ? It's a solar system with two suns right? And their sun is similar to ours, well one of them is.

en.wikipedia.org...

So why are they not looking for more planets here?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Whilst I don't particularly believe or subscribe to the reptile / starseed thing, I have experienced UFO encounters and more and a few months ago, despite my logical mind trying to dismiss it, I experienced an 'opening of the gateway' per se that felt like dimensional contact, it was specific to Alpha Centauri, and basically felt like communication advising me that is where UFO are from and that there is superior intelligence there / from there that basically 'seeded' humanity and is involved in the evolution / continuation of humanity and things on Earth. This dimensional contact advised me I am Alpha Centurian but my mind logical being sceptical of such things has placed this in my category of ''hmmm it sounds good to my intuition and inner / higher self''.

You will find that I do not normally say such things, nor do I particularly believe in this 'dimensional communication' but it was very 'dimensional' and ultra real, where the clarity was immense and completely not of Earth, as if seeing in the 4th /5th /6th dimension. It has stuck in my mind, along with a few other experiences of such clarity, mind expansion and 'enlightenment', as that is how it felt, like 'seeing the light'.

A similar occurrence was about a year ago when I was ill, experiencing the worst headache, shivers, aches and so cold I ended up being tested in hospital, I felt like I had been poisoned. Anyway that experience felt like an NDE and a dimensional 'light' came to me about the physical / dimensional shapes essential for life that are super relevant in the Universe, like 4D cuboid fractals. It 'healed' me, I was laying in a foetal position in agony before that, after it, I gained the strength to get some water, which I obviously needed, in small amounts for a few hours, I eventually gained the strength and went to the doctors surgery, who sent me to the hospital there and then.

I trust my intuition and whilst I have all my faculties completely intact, I have studied religions, in practice as well as in theory, including buddhism and these 'revelations' / 'enlightenments' feel like the real deal and are important to me.

I mention this here as if we are indeed dimensional beings, with aspects of our physical being able to communicate with 'source' then this is something I have done and 'communicating with' / 'travelling dimensionally to' is something I truly feel I have experienced, and this experience involved / involves Alpha Centauri.

Prior to this experience, I held Alpha Centauri in only a more astrophysics sense. However, now I am considering there is a connection on more levels, such as the possibility of DNA origins / mutations / cosmic dust / intelligent particle etc being of Alpha Centauri origin, this is feasible and also feasible that such interactions are able to be comprehended and experienced by those sensitive to such things.

I am aware the thread is in 'space exploration' and as such perhaps was looking for more 'scientific' answers regarding space travel, though when Quantum Physics are included, it is essential to look beyond the realms of 'known science theory' as this is where the advancements in knowledge are.

If there are any potential 'flamers' don't bother, I have better things to do!

earthsky.org...

Classical myth-makers didn’t spend much time with this constellation, although it was thought to represent an uncharacteristically wise centaur that figured in the mythology of Heracles and Jason. The centaur was accidentally wounded by Heracles, and placed into the sky after death by Zeus.

Alpha Centauri itself marked the right front hoof of the Centaur, although little is known of its mythological significance, if any. Ancient Egyptians revered it, and may have built temples aligned to its rising point. In southern China it was part of a star group known as the South Gate.

edit on 25-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

texasyeti
Hey for any astronomers out there answer me a question. I hear NASA and SETI looking everywhere but right next door to us for habitable planets. Does anyone know if astronomers can see any planets near Alpha Centauri ? It's a solar system with two suns right? And their sun is similar to ours, well one of them is.

en.wikipedia.org...

They are in the works of launching a satellite which will finally answer that question.

New Earth Hunting European Telescope wins Approval - By Jadestar (ATS resident astrophile)

reply to post by JadeStar

Between the launch of PLATO and Kepler's extended K2 mission will be NASA's TESS (Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite) mission which, like PLATO will use a similar "stare and step" method TESS is tentatively set for a 2017 launch and received good news in the form of the new NASA space science budget.

It will look for planets around nearby stars in both the northen and southern hemispheres. Alpha Centauri? Tau Ceti? Zeta Reticuli? Yep.... all on the "To Do List".

Personally, I think they should have sent probes there the minute we had the technology. It might take a couple hundred years to get the data but it's the closest place on the block. Heck, even if somehow we managed to travel there in the mean time it would be a superb time capsule.
edit on 25-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by texasyeti

Well since she is a binary star system I imagine the orbital rotations of any planets or body's contained within the system are rather more complex than the paths of our own Stars companion planets follow. Which is not to say there aren't any planets there with stable orbits just more elliptical ones i imagine.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   

texasyeti
Does anyone know if astronomers can see any planets near Alpha Centauri ? So why are they not looking for more planets here?

they have detected a planet there already

The star system closest to our own sun hosts a planet with roughly Earth's mass and may harbor other alien worlds as well, a new study reports.

Astronomers detected the alien planet around the sunlike star Alpha Centauri B, which is part of a three-star system just 4.3 light-years away from us. The newfound world is about as massive as Earth, but it's no Earth twin; its heat-blasted surface may be covered with molten rock, researchers said.

Earth-Sized Planet Alpha Centauri Bb

edit on 25-2-2014 by Misinformation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Computer simulations from 2008 actually showed the possibility of 11 Earth-like planets in the habitable zone of Alpha Centauri B. A recent research suggests that five of these computer-simulated planets have a high potential for photosynthetic life. www.universetoday.com...

And of course there's the famous Alpha Centauri Bb: blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

wildespace
Computer simulations from 2008 actually showed the possibility of 11 Earth-like planets in the habitable zone of Alpha Centauri B. A recent research suggests that five of these computer-simulated planets have a high potential for photosynthetic life. www.universetoday.com...

And of course there's the famous Alpha Centauri Bb: blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Not yet independently confirmed.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Exoplanet database, just search for "alpha" -> Alpha Centauri b

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

texasyeti
...I hear NASA and SETI looking everywhere but right next door to us for habitable planets...

...So why are they not looking for more planets here?

You may have heard wrong (or your information was outdated) because astronomers and planetary scientists HAVE been looking at the Alpha Centauri system for exoplanets, and in fact have have found at least one.
Here is an article from 2008 that discusses the beginnings of searches for planets around the Alpha Centauri system:

Next-door Neighbors: Team Begins Search for Earths in the Sun's Backyard

And here is an article from 2012 that discusses the discovery of at least one planet orbiting Alpha Centauri B.

Discovery! Earth-Size Alien Planet at Alpha Centauri Is Closest Ever Seen

It should be first noted (and has been touched upon in the articles above) that astronomers do not find exoplanets by simply directly "looking for them". Seeing an actual planet orbiting a star is IMMENSELY difficult due to the brightness of the star overpowering any potential planet that may be there. While it is true that some planets have actually been seen (this is done by blocking out the light from the star), these planets were already known to exist, which made it easier to devise a way to see them -- i.e., it's easier to see them if they new exactly where to look. I don't know of any exoplanets that were discovered by pointing a telescope at a star and directly looking for planets circling them (although I admit that there may be some).

Most exoplanets are discovered using moreindirect methods. One popular method (such as the method used by the Kepler space telescope) is the "transit method", which looks at a star until it senses a minute dimming of that star. The idea is that the dimming of the star may have been caused by a planet passing in front of the star (or "transiting" the star). This dimming can be analyzed, and much information about the planet could be gathered from this analysis -- such as the size and orbital period, from which they could also calculate the mass.

Another method (which is sometimes used hand-in-hand with the transit method) is called "radial velocity". Basically, stars are observed very closely, looking for a slight "wobble" in that star (which can be found using a Doppler method). If the star wobbles, that would mean that something is gravitationally tugging at it -- and that something could be a planet or planets. Planets may be much smaller than their parent star, but they still exert a gravitational force on the star. For example, the earth's gravity tugs minutely on our Sun, causing the Sun to wobble very slightly as the earth revolves around it.

...Which takes us to these next few articles. Alpha Centauri is actually made up of two stars: Alpha Centauri A, Alpha Centauri B. A third star -- Proxima Centauri -- may be gravitationally part of Alpha Centauri, but it is usually considered its own system. It is Proxima Centauri that is actually the closest star to Earth (by the way, and somewhat ironically, Proxima Centauri is too dim to be seen with the naked eye).

Exoplanet hunters have been searching for planets around Proxima Centauri, but have found it difficult. However, an alignment of a background star in October 2014 and an alignment with another background star in February of 2016 will possibly help planet hunters by providing a "gravitational lensing" effect that could help them discover mass abberations in Proxima Centauri that could mean the presence of planets.

Here is one article about this search for planets around Proxima Centauri:

Alpha Centauri to Bend Starlight for Planet Hunt

And another story about the Proxima Centauri Alignment:

Proxima Centauri Exoplanet Search: Star Alignment May Open Up Search For Our Nearest Alien Neighbours

edit on 2/25/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

texasyeti
Hey for any astronomers out there answer me a question. I hear NASA and SETI looking everywhere but right next door to us for habitable planets.

Well that's incorrect. SETI is very interested in any potential nearby planets and always has been.

Exoplanet hunters have been very interested in detecting planets around the stars of Alpha and Proxima Centauri because such planets will be close enough for us to eventually get detailed pictures and maps of within the next 20-30 years.

Does anyone know if astronomers can see any planets near Alpha Centauri ? It's a solar system with two suns right? And their sun is similar to ours, well one of them is.

en.wikipedia.org...

They are looking and if you read through that wiki you'll see that they already have detected one planet around Alpha Centauri B which is called Alpha Centauri B b. (Binary stars get capital letters, planets get small letters.)

IF you read this thread I posted about Super Habitable planets the people doing research into that think Alpha Centauri could be ideal for such worlds.

See also.....

ATS: Could Some Alien Worlds Be More Habitable Than Earth?

Gizmag Alpha Centauri B may have "superhabitable" worlds

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks everyone.Good to know.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
If there is life there it is either not an interestellar space faring civilization or it is but has a good reason to not contact us.

top topics

join