It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is in the 1%? How are people under 30 doing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Personal responsibility is a cop-out response for those who don't want to actually take an analytical approach to whats going on in America.

Sure its a big part of it but if you think thats the only determining factor and you wont even address the statistics used in the OP then your wasting my time and anyone else who takes a truly analytical perspective on these issues.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

Strawman...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

ConspiracyBuff
reply to post by Aazadan

Strawman...

So you refute that there isn't a lack of jobs in some areas?

My area code is 45750. Go put it in on LinkedIn and see what you get back. Try it on Monster too. On LinkedIn you'll get 20 results and on Monster you'll get 28, which is honestly the most I've seen in over a year.

On Monster you can break them down as follows:
1 Janitor, part time
1 Material engineer, bachelors in engineering
1 Health care manager, RN's only
3 Truck driver
1 UPS Package handler, 17 hours minimum wage
1 Sales, industrial equipment, marketing degree
1 Insurance salesman
3 Retail sales, part time temporary
6 Nursing assistant
1 Electrical engineer, related bachelors degree
1 Oil pump installer, related bachelors degree+15 years experience
1 Electrician, 15 years experience+degree
1 Car washer, part time minimum wage
1 Gas station attendant, part time
1 Babysitter, part time
1 Garbage man
1 Mechanic
2 Fake advertisements

On LinkedIn they are:
9 Nursing assistant
4 Engineers
4 Work from home sales scams
1 Accountant
1 Trucking manager
1 Purchasing manager

These are all jobs posted within the past 30 days, I didn't check which of them are still accepting applications.

So aside from a bloated parasitic health care industry handing out jobs like candy... where is the opportunity? My background is all tech related, I see a grand total of zero jobs. So please, refute me and show me how this is a strawman argument. 28 jobs in 30 days for an area of 25,000 people, and 8 of those can't even support a person working them. That's not a whole lot of opportunity.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

You notice how non of them are trade jobs or production/ warehousing?

1 Electrician, 15 years experience+degree

Accept...
edit on 2/26/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I'm 40 and doing fairly well professionally/financially but I am also in year 19 of my career and can work at a high level in a specialized field with appropriate certifications and experience. All of my peers are doing similarly well.

Conversely my sister is 28, Bachelors degree from a well known and well respected University in Public Relations/Marketing and has roughly 15 different published articles she is has written plus relevant experience in her career and she can't find a job making more than $10 an hour right now.

I have no idea what her generation is going to do , it's a bad situation in that age bracket for sure.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I know what were going to do, fight back.

Its our only choice.

edit on 2/26/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So whose fault is it! Im not even going to hate on obama. Im not anti obama but he is a terrible potus.

Is it the government? Why does this smell like bankers????

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

We are collectively at fault for allowing our government to take decisive action against us, for allowing bankers to take advantage of our tax dollars and the average middle class worker, and for not holding the politicians accountable too the good of the people at large but rather to the corporations that sponsor them.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Just typed a big long rant and my browser decided to go back for whatever reason, ugh!

Ok so my wife and I can be added to this list, we are 29/30 (I'm 30
lol) and we both have a Bachelors degree. We are also both in graduate school, adding another 70K of debt between the two of us. I work as a supervisor in retail, and my wife works as a nanny for rich families south of San Francisco. At one point over half of my staff at my store were college grads working for minimum wage or maybe a dollar or two more.
These families are insane, they are all of the generation or two before us, who seem to have had it MADE. Most of them barely have college educations and yet have amazing jobs. One family, the father is a VP of a company yet only has a bachelors degree. None of the families moms work, they shop all day, my wife does all of the chores and yet they still have gardeners, housekeepers to clean once a week, etc. And these people barely want anything to do with their kids which just kills us to see. The man I rented a room from when I first moved here was an engineer making good money yet had no college education. Before being a nanny my wife worked in the daycare center at Cisco Systems headquarters, most of the older people working for cisco making tons of money barely had bachelors degrees...and yet nowadays YOU CANNOT EVEN GET A JOB INTERVIEW without a masters degree and 5 years experience.

If you think it's rough elsewhere, average rent here in the bay area is over $1800/month for a 1bdrm. We pay less luckily, but for a crappy 1bdrm with cockroaches and sewage problems.

Our parents keep asking us why we don't have a house yet, or have new cars...they love to remind us how in their day they bought a house an were younger than I was...They also love to tell us how they only made $2/hr back then...sure we make way more now but a house here starts at 550K! There's just NO WAY anyone that's not a doctor/lawyer/engineer can make a decent living around here, and no our graduate degrees will not be in one of those three....

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

AnonymousMoose
reply to post by LDragonFire

Just typed a big long rant and my browser decided to go back for whatever reason, ugh!

Our parents keep asking us why we don't have a house yet, or have new cars...they love to remind us how in their day they bought a house an were younger than I was...They also love to tell us how they only made $2/hr back then...sure we make way more now but a house here starts at 550K! There's just NO WAY anyone that's not a doctor/lawyer/engineer can make a decent living around here, and no our graduate degrees will not be in one of those three....

My cousins husband is a lawyer. In michigan... doing terrible, has there own house and many times they couldn't afford eletric or rent or mortgage, whatever they got. Lights go out in the house and they pretend to the kids its camping.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Jordan River
So whose fault is it! Im not even going to hate on obama. Im not anti obama but he is a terrible potus.

Is it the government? Why does this smell like bankers????

I have two answers to this, the first is whose fault I believe it is, but I'm not going to go there. The second I believe is much more important. Who caused what doesn't matter, unless we're going to physically hunt them down and exact revenge (by which I mean mob run witch hunts, complete with actual burning at the stake) why does it matter? The ONLY thing that matters is how we're going to fix it, and who is going to do it.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Aazadan

Personal responsibility is a cop-out response for those who don't want to actually take an analytical approach to whats going on in America.

Sure its a big part of it but if you think thats the only determining factor and you wont even address the statistics used in the OP then your wasting my time and anyone else who takes a truly analytical perspective on these issues.

I did put a lot of statistics in the O.P. which were not addressed much, a few people somewhat attacked my personal situation, and one person offered assistance, which was appreciated.

At any rate, I did appreciate the advice and comments offered on my personal situation, they were not overly harsh, in fact, they were nice to read - but few addressed the statistics, nonetheless.

On to the general picture of things. There is a difference between an analytic and helpful thought process and a destructive thought process that, in addition to being destructive, fails to take into account the reality of the situation.

As another poster said, it is unrealistic and unwanted for everyone to be at the top - however, there is no reason that as a first-world country, we cannot have decent lives for our citizens. I hope that as a country, we are able to look at the situation realistically and analytically.

I feel like opportunities are definitely harder to come by these days, in fact, I feel like there is a strong deterrent to trying new things that is fueled both by the liberals and the conservatives.

I think that for conservatives, a great place to start would be focusing on helping people (not harming them or ridiculing them) learn to improve and take care of themselves, while still keeping a community in place. That is what I hope comes out of the Republican side of things.

I agree that there are some technological limitations in place (actually, I doubt that as much with the recent technological advancements and the information age), however, there are also fabricated limitations put in place by corporations in order to ensure that they earn more money at the expense of their customers, which has been an increasing trend since both 2008 and Citizens United.

I personally do find it hard to participate in or agree with a system that takes advantage of others for profit while simultaneously blaming them for their failures. Even if I had the chance to join that system, I would think at least twice. Especially if Christianity was being used to promote it. I would disregard those "Christians" as false prophets and the system as breaking the laws of the universe by forcing people to pay for services that harm them.

I would like to have a job where I can work to benefit society, not harm it. It only makes sense. I am not here to sell my soul and harm others for cash, that goes against all logic - why have someone pay you for a negative service? That is blackmail.

What really gets me is that a lot of people promoting harming others in society are using Christianity to justify their viewpoints, that goes against the whole point of the religion, which I did study and do take seriously.

In fact, the fact that I read and studied the New Testament is a big reason that I don't support the radical right movements, such as the ones to deny services to gays.
edit on 27amThu, 27 Feb 2014 03:43:14 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I hope as a society we don't go over a cliff and start believing patently false information about science and economic statistics when the correct information is readily available. I don't see any excuse to do this. It is one thing to have a legitimate counter-argument and positive counter-proposal to the broken liberal system, but it is an entirely different thing to have a proposal based entirely on lies and false ideas.

As the Bible points out, having a strong foundation is one of the most important things for a society, and having a foundation built on lies and false data sounds extremely shaky.

I keep on pointing out the Bible because nothing about the radical right movement follows the spirit of the Bible. I shouldn't say nothing, there are some ideas in there that are positive that I hope are focused on more.
edit on 27amThu, 27 Feb 2014 03:50:10 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

1% diamond patch right corner of my cut, that is what a true 1% is... heard of Outlaws MC, Hells Angels MC, Bandidos MC..etc...

guestofaguest.com...

ive met both wealthy 1% and am in a 1% club and if i were you be more terrified of the later face to face, now the wealthy outsource their dirty work....we do not...; )=

Sniper

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Here is an idea about how wealth distribution is working in America. Interesting how the top 1% own over 50% of the countries stocks, bonds and mutual funds. It pays to be connected.

edit on 27-2-2014 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Konduit

Wow, those guys really do work hard, the guys at the top 1%, they must be working 24/7!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I honestly feel the whole 1% moniker was made up to further divide people. It's really more like .01 if that, but it's not about how much money you have, it's about what you do with your money. Using your billions to control nations makes you scum. Using your millions to live a life of luxury might make you a bit selfish, but not scum.

It just so happens to be impossible to get super wealthy without using your money to control nations. If you don't think people like bill gates and zuckerberg have used their wealth to control things outside of their right to control, you are lying to yourself.

The truly wealthy people, the ones who are the real problem, don't earn an income. They don't have a regular job, with a regular check at the end of the month. People that make 400 grand a year are closer to a homeless man, than they are to the truly wealthy.

Just stop it with the 1% they aren't the problem

Stop caring about how much money people have, and focus on what they are doing with that money. Because no man has a right to use his wealth to control the futures of other men.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Konduit
Here is an idea about how wealth distribution is working in America. Interesting how the top 1% own over 50% of the countries stocks, bonds and mutual funds. It pays to be connected.

edit on 27-2-2014 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

It also shows why everyone freaks out when the stock market has issues, yet 1% of the people own HALF the stocks and bonds?

Everyone is conditioned to care about the market.. the market is simply a way for evil folks to steal money off the hard working people. People have been buying and selling long before stock markets and hedge fund managers. The stock market started out with a good idea that worked for a little while, but it's turned into nothing other than a high-stakes gambling game for the wealthy, with all the risk being assumed by the little guy.

They may live in a nice house, but it's a house of cards. Mine is much smaller, but it's built a hell of a lot better.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

opethPA

I have no idea what her generation is going to do , it's a bad situation in that age bracket for sure.

Indeed it is, and it's even worse when old timers go on about us being lazy, when they got ahead during a relatively easy time in this country. The type of effort that got them where they are, wouldn't get them that 10 dollar/hr job in today's world.

They enjoy it I'm sure, they feel a sense of superiority simply because they lived during a period that jobs paid well and were plentiful.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I feel compelled to reply to this from a person from the bottom's point of view. I have read the previous threads and am aware of where you stand. Though you come from means you seem to be very empathetic to everyone's plight and that in itself is commendable. I do take issue with the melodramatic stance of that fellow in the first video comparing the angst to "Kristallknacht" - it is nowhere close to that and unless the millions of poor take to the streets a la French Revolution which is unlikely - the uber rich are safe from us the 99% (we might hate them but we are MUCH more concerned with hating each other).
We largely don't hate rich people for being rich but we hate how we're made to feel for not being rich and it's more evident with the age of technology. Working hard is equated with being rich and anyone who's worked hard knows that's not always the outcome. Poor people = lazy...well, rich people strive to become rich so they can employ others to work and thus they become lazy. Being rich is largely luck too. Being borne to the right family, going to the right schools, having the right connections to go far. The rich should never forget that they were lucky too.

It is so awesome that you would like to help people in you life's journey. I have recently realized I feel the same way. I tried to play the corporate game but that backstabbing conniving BS is just not my forte' and so I dropped out. I prefer to call it temporary midlife retirement...I am past the halfway mark on this average lifetime and I want to spend the rest of it being happy & helping others who deserve it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join