It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and Pop Ups/Ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I've been coming here for years and years and now with these new pop ups, I can't stand this place anymore. It constantly freezes my web browser and I have just received a notification from AVG Pro that one of the sites that popped up was a reported spamming/fishing/attack site. I understand you need to make money to support the site but there has to be a better way to run these ads.

Do you people even check what these ads are doing? Or do any kind of test run before throwing these things out there?

I know 100% that's it's not my computer as I'm on it all day and night and never have this problem but here and sometimes bleacherreport.com (recent with them, too).

I don't know if it's this new design in combination with the ads but the site feels much more bulkier and slower than before.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusCrime

I have come here for years at ATS as well...

I own a Mac. No pop-ups, and very fast.

Your service maybe?? or web browser?

Your definitely not the first rant bout this.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome and installed [SNIP]....haven't seen an advert since.

Good Luck
edit on 25-2-2014 by Gemwolf because: Removed T&C Violation

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Not only annoying, but some of the popups i've had have been a bit inappropriate in the bum tittie bum bum kind of way. It doesn't help when you are trying to show someone a thread and have them take it seriously.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

No issues at all like the other poster said....and have never had any. Im afraid its the OP end. Browser, phone, server, location...something.

You got to realize when you say YOU are having issues...that its not ALL of us.

Something you are doing....we're here to help you however. But I never get any of these ad things or hangups etc...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

PS Don't you block all pop-ups anyway? And at the bottom of ATS you can opt out of 90% of all ads you may get at AD CHOICES and follow the instructions..

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
ATS has adds?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

deadcalm

What browser are you using? I'm using Chrome and installed [SNIP]....haven't seen an advert since.

Good Luck

*Cough* *cough* *cough* not allowed [SNIP] on this site. Just do what I did and post any dumbass thought you have and soon enough you'll have enough points where the ads are gone.

Also, don't go to the homepage. It's crap. Bookmark Recent Threads and go there. No pop ups, even when I'm not logged in and not using an expectorant.
edit on 25-2-2014 by Gemwolf because: Removed T&C Violation

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I use Opera as a browser and get 0 pop ups. I found that you get far less ads and pop using opera then anything else including chrome

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It's always a good idea to first check your own PC and make sure the problem isn't local.

Popular safety measures includes Malwarebytes Free Anti-Malware, Spybot Search and Destroy and in extreme cases Combofix. Also check your browser's settings - particularly add-ons and plug-ins.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of AVG. It's known for false positives, it's a resource hog and there are also some actual Malware masquerading as AVG. But that's just me. Others swear by AVG, so it's a personal choice...

On a side note: You are more likely to see ads and the odd pop-up when you're not logged in.

If you are confident that your system is clean and you experience problem ads on ATS, report them using the Complaint feature. Obviously telling the staff that you got a pop-up isn't going to help or fix anything. You need to provide as much information as possible. What browser are you using? What were the circumstances when you got a pop-up? Where did you click? What was the ad? Do you have a link to the ad? A screenshot would be helpful as well. It all just makes it easier to track down the problem ad. The administrators hate pop-ups as much as the next guy, so feel free to report problem ads through the right channels.

Keep in mind that it is the responsibility of the ad servers to keep bad ads out - and they usually do a pretty good job. ATS can't possibly vet each and every ad, especially because some ads are injected by third or fourth party ad servers (depending on your country/location).

I know everyone believes their PCs are squeaky clean, but from experience we know that when ads are behaving badly the cause is more often than not: an infected PC.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Like I have said. It's not my PC and I'm using Firefox. I built my computer from the ground up, it's faster than most and only a year old, my service provider is not the issue for pop ups, or slow internet. It's this website. I shouldn't have to change my browser to browse any forum, that's ridiculous from any web design standpoint. I visit tons and tons of message boards and this site and bleacherreport are the ONLY 2 that give me issues.

I'm running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and it's up to date. I've been using AVG forever now and never had an issue with it giving me false positives. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro with all updates installed.

I've had instances where the ads are not even put in the right spots, covering some portions of the forum. I had to use Firebug to remove the ad so I could browse the forum correctly. I fail to see how this is caused by one of the most popular web browsers on the internet or my computer alone. My computer or web browser is not going to move a div.

I don't know what they're using for these ads or what service, but they're lagging the hell out of this site. I have 8 gigs of ram with an AMD Phenom II X6 and a video card with 1G of ram and using Comcast Cable with almost 30Mbps download speed.

I'm going to try running Chrome and IE while on this site and let you guys know if anything changes. If something does change, and the site doesn't give me issues, whoever built this site needs to do some more cross browser integration.

If I didn't like to frequent these forums so much, I wouldn't even care. But since I like coming here to read and browse the forums, it's kind of annoying.
edit on 2/25/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

AK907ICECOLD

I have come here for years at ATS as well...

I own a Mac. No pop-ups, and very fast.

Your service maybe?? or web browser?

Your definitely not the first rant bout this.

I use a mac every now and then but I mainly use a PC because of my programming background and it's just something I got used to. Plus I like to build my own comps so PC makes sense. I actually like the macs and like you said, they're much more secure.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I to HAD a problem with the pop up ads on this site. On my Android tablet you will get a popup leading to a site and only an OK button to press. Even if you press the cancel/back button at the bottom of the screen it will still go to the site. I don't mind regular image ads but the ones I mentioned above are forcing people to visit the ad/website and that is going to far ATS

I hear there are programs/apps out there that block ads but this may violate ATS TOS.

Note: I know 100% these ads ARE coming from ATS and not some malware on my device.
edit on 25-2-2014 by hana1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Edit: Accidentally hit quote instead of edit when editing a typo in my post above. Stupid touch screen.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I've been using Chrome now for about 5 hours and it's working much better than Firefox with this site. I've imported my bookmarks into Chrome and I will use this from now on. I wish there was something that could be done to have Firefox play well with ATS though.

new topics

top topics

join