It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X5 Flare 2/24/14

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Looks like a decent sized one. I haven't read yet if it's earth directed, but based on the CME, it looks like it could be.

FLARE

Another link with info

NOTE: Even though large, this isn't something to worry about. At worst, it might mess up your tv or internet for a little bit

UPDATE: Looks like it was NOT earth facing, so we likely won't see much here on earth from this. However, as this spot turns towards us we might see some more action!!

edit on 24-2-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Unless I misinterpreted something, this probably won't be a big deal to the planet.

A major solar flare measuring X4.9 was just observed around returning sunspot 1967 (newly numbered 1990) at 00:49 UTC. This just proves that you cannot judge a book by its cover. Despite appearing to be in a state of decay, the active region remains magnetically potent. A 10cm radio bust measuring 3700 sfu and lasting 85 minutes was associated with the event. The sunspot is not yet in a good geoeffective position for Earth directed eruptions. The flare is the 3rd largest X-Ray event of the current solar cycle. More updates to follow regarding a possible CME.

CME Update: As expected, a large coronal mass ejection (CME) is associated with the X4.9 Solar Flare. Click HERE for an image by LASCO C2. The plasma cloud is directed mostly to the east. Once more imagery is available, I will be able to put together an animation to determine if there is an Earth directed component.

From the main page of Solarham.net
edit on 2/24/2014 by Nyiah because: Forgot to C & P the CME update text, oops!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Could bump up the earthquakes.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Shhhh... someone will come along and tell you that there is no scientific link between the sun and earthquakes, and convince you that you're just experience pareidolia. lol

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I updated the OP to reflect the correct, X5 size and also that it is NOT earth facing (for now)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It's about time we get an X flare! Sure has been awfully quiet -- I wonder if it was all the calm before the storm!

Ooogity Booogity!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The guy from suspicious observers did a short broadcast on an up tic in 5.'ers so who knows. Without geomagnetic interference I can't see how it would. But...you never know.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Shhhh... someone will come along and tell you that there is no scientific link between the sun and earthquakes

There is no scientific link between sun and earthquakes

Click me

Scientists assembled historical records of the Sun’s interaction with Earth, looking at sunspots, solar wind, and magnetic storms. They then compared these with historical records of earthquake occurrence. They found no significant pattern between solar activity and more or larger earthquakes. There is no demonstrated way to use space data to predict future earthquakes.

Just because one might think that a pattern exists does not mean that one actually exists. We need clear evidence to be convinced.

Click me 2

The result?

"Across a range of earthquake magnitude thresholds, we find no consistent and statistically significant distributional differences. We also introduce time lags between the solar-terrestrial variables and the number of earthquakes, but again no statistically significant distributional difference is found."

edit on 24-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join