It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live cam of Great Horned Owls in OKC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Seeing the eagle's nest link made me want to share this one as my first thread. I've been watching her for a couple of weeks now. We have these critters in our yard but this is the first time I've been able to observe them up close. They are fascinating.
She has three babies, the first hatched is just getting eyes open.
WARNING: Addictive---so be ready to waste some time just watching this magnificent creature.
And, if you have the sound turned up when she begins "talking" to Papa, your cats will come to attention!

Here's the link: www.ustream.tv...
edit on 24-2-2014 by diggindirt because: forgot to add the link, duh!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

Beautiful! Thank you so much for this. We don't get to be too in touch with these kind of animals nowadays and this way we can observe them withouth disrupting them. Once again thank you.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Coolio,

Im in southern cali and all I see are basically white owls, and man are they huge!!

Not only that but their squawk are eerie lol.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
So beautiful! I saw a baby peeking out. Awwwww!
The planter it is nesting in doesn't have high sides. Hope the baby doesn't fall over some day.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Night Star
So beautiful! I saw a baby peeking out. Awwwww!
The planter it is nesting in doesn't have high sides. Hope the baby doesn't fall over some day.

According to the site, she's raised a couple of broods there in previous years. This year she has three, her first time with triplets!
They are truly awe-inspiring animals. My closest encounter with one of ours was as I was relaxing in the hammock at dusk when one sailed about 5 feet over my head----totally silent---shocked me to see that monster moving silently. I had seen them many times in captivity and thought I knew how big they were---right up to that night when I saw it swooping above me and felt a giant sense of relief that his/her attention wasn't on me!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

Glad to hear that she raised others succesfully there. That's a relief. They are just so beautiful!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Great link, cheers

S+F!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
LOve these cams! Nature is so beautiful.
Here's a cam of a pair of bald eagles they just laid a egg.

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

I am off work today due to a pulled muscle in my back. I'm just suppose to take it easy today.

Now I have this to watch and the Eagle nest cam.

I'm going to have a nice relaxing day. Hopefully nothing icky happens. Nature can be so cruel.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
OMG. How cute. The baby just came out from under mom. turned around and Pooped! LOL

Then crawled back underneath.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
There is one behind her, and it isn't moving, while the other two are eating right now.

Never mind, according to the chat, that is a rabbit. Well that is good news.
edit on 26-2-2014 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I noticed that yesterday. But I thought maybe it was part of her backside. Sad.

Do they eat the dead babies?

OK, reading the live feed. They are saying that's a dead rabbit.
edit on 26-2-2014 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Yeah, just saw that and edited my post. Not sure what they do, if one does die.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Have to wonder though, how full is she going to let that box get, with "parts" LOL, I wonder if she will just toss them out of the nest?
(not an apartment.) Would be gross underneath, though!

edit on 26-2-2014 by chiefsmom because: correction

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is really awesome, thanks for sharing! I always have the Great Owl from Secret of Nimh in my mind, when I look at these animals.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
According to the live feed, last nite, Daddy Owl brought a mouse too. They are saying that is what she was feeding the babies this morning. They are saying she will save the rabbit for herself.

Yea that would be really gross to walk out of the building and get hit with a dead carcass. EWWWWWW

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Darn, lost audio awhile ago, and now lost video.

Hopefully just to fix cam.

I am so enjoying watching this.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm so glad to see that so many of you are enjoying this. I was attracted to it because we have at least two pairs of these magnificent creatures in our area. Sometimes in the middle of the night when I step outside to get wood for the fire I catch parts of several conversations going on between them.
As for the food bits, those babies will eat every morsel, they are now beginning to self-feed from the bits left over.
Mr. Tiger is doing almost all of the hunting in this stage of their development but occasionally Mrs. Tiger will become alert to something in the immediate vicinity and swoop out of the nest and down on some unsuspecting rat/gopher/bird. Just a few days ago, one large rat would feed all three of those owlets but now one of them can consume an entire rat with amazing speed.
I will have to say that my cats aren't terribly happy with me having this cam page on the background at night when they are trying to sleep near the computer. When Mrs. Tiger begins hooting they immediately jump into full wakefulness and begin looking above them.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I work a lot, but every chance I get, I check in on the family.

It's amazing how fast they grow. I've only been watching this week, and it seems to me they have grown quite a bit.

And the small planter box is another thing that amazes me. Do they eat the bones of the animals or discard over the side. It seems pretty clean.

Great thing your doing.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
They eat the entire animal, bones, fur and all. Then, after digesting all they can, they "hork" up the bits they can't digest in pellet form. If you've ever been walking in the woods and found a mat of fur and bones under a tree, you've likely seen an owl pellet. I think there are some videos of the owlets "horking" out their tiny pellets.
I have a fairly tall pine in my yard that the owls like to use as a perch. It isn't unusual to find owl pellets under that tree. Nearby is a small thicket of wild rose and honeysuckle where the rabbits like to make their home. I suspect that the owls sit patiently in that tree until they spy an unsuspecting bunny leaving the nest. I hope they got the one that ate my entire spinach crop last spring!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join