It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suddenly Semper is all Tomahawk Crazy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

All three of mine are significantly lighter than my Fiskers and Estwing Hatchets and the Tomahawks have longer handles which gives me a lot more chopping power.

Add to that the almost indestructible nature of the full tang and well..

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

semperfortis
There is obviously some mistake or some people are simply NOT READING the thread

NO WHERE and I mean NO WHERE did I reference the Tomahawk as a weapon....

That is due to the FACT I do not consider it one.. It is a Survival/Bushcrafting tool

Reading is good

Assumption is bad

honestly a long pointy stick made with a hatchet would probably be a far better weapon

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Thank you for a well thought out presentation on this. I've never owned one myself and for much the same reasons. It struck me (no pun intended) as a weapon and a throwing one at that ..which turns me on about as much as I can see it thrills you. lol... I hadn't considered it for a lot more until now.

I may just see about adding this to my overall survival tools and general preparedness kit.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

if you hunt, take a light hatchet if you have room. At least in W. Tx, it comes in real handy on that brush that is too thick for a machete. And it helps to dress a deer if you have a hatchet to break the pelvis before field dressing.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
They're cool, I admit, but I've never found anything I needed one for. I can't think of anything that it could do that my Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe or saw couldn't do.

Apart from strapping to my belt, and running through the woods Daniel Day Lewis stylee, of course. I can see the appeal of that.
edit on k092902bamTue, 25 Feb 2014 09:29:10 -0600 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

PM me and I can point you in the direction I took if interested..

I just finished processing enough firewood to get me through the coming cold spell with my green one..

That particular one has a neat feature.. The opposite side from the hatchet blade has a serrated side and a flat grind knife side for cutting chores.. So basically you get the hatchet, plain edge knife and serrated knife all in one

I'm seriously loving these jewels

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I've just seen one has Zombie Killer written on it.

Great. Now I have to have one...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Yeah the bright yellow one

Perfect for that pesky Zombie that just wont stay out of the yard

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

In the UK, we're much more adaptable to zombies in the yard. We improvise, adapt, and overcome.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
What is the definition of a Tomahawk?

How does it differ from an axe or hatchet? Or for that matter, a Francisca, the throwing axe used by the Franks as they replaced the Roman Empire in the West?

Is it weight, dimensions, or merely the way its used?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
the one i use i got Here. I really don't believe after using it i could go back to a hatchet. this thing is mean in the bush and holds an edge really well. I've also never had a reason/need/want to throw it. Probably just a movie type thing like a round house kick to the face. But seriously, if you haven't tried one for bushcraft, I recommend you do even if its one of the tactical models.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

A tomahawk is an extremely light weight hatchet with a small head seated to a long haft and generally used for ceremony and day to day chores by the native inhabitants of North America. Its not much different than the Frankish axe

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

That's a costly little bugger!!!!

I do like the idea of being able to replace the handle any time you want and very easily I might add...

Question:

I've never used one like that so ...

Do you ever have any problem when you are using it with the head sliding down the handle?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

A tomahawk is an extremely light weight hatchet with a small head seated to a long haft and generally used for ceremony and day to day chores by the native inhabitants of North America. Its not much different than the Frankish axe

Excellent description.

They had some hatchet throwers at the Gun and Knife show here and while they were impressive it occurred to me that without a predetermined position-distance is a better explanation-the hatchet looked like a poor offensive weapon.

The Kaskinampo had one that was more like something you would see a Roman Gladiator use. On it's handle was a short throwing rawhide loop that kept the weapon close. Still the Bowie knife was the accepted offensive weapon used in the nineteenth century. It was similar to the Norse seax.

And finally I just wanted to point out that Native Americans that object to the word 'tomahawk' used in reference to a weapon have a legitimate right to be upset by those references. This is not some politically correct garbage thrown around for some kind of political impact.

And the OP never used it in that context.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Great info.

If I had a choice of axes just give me the entire Gransfors Bruks line.

I am not a collector, but someone loaned me their's while we were out trekking for 3 weeks, now I want the entire line.

Absolutely amazing axes.

I also used one to field dress a deer and if I had to pick a survival axe it would be their "Wildlife Hatchet"

edit on 27-2-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

What is the definition of a Tomahawk?
reply to post by tovenar

tom·a·hawk
ˈtäməˌhôk/Submit
noun
a light ax used as a tool or weapon by American Indians.

Is it weight, dimensions, or merely the way its used?

A tomahawk (also referred to as a hawk) is a type of axe from North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft.[1][2] The name came into the English language in the 17th century as an adaptation of the Powhatan (Virginian Algonquian) word.

It's just a word used to by Native Americans....a tomahawk is just another word for a hatchet. I don't think there is a difference.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

And finally I just wanted to point out that Native Americans that object to the word 'tomahawk' used in reference to a weapon have a legitimate right to be upset by those references. This is not some politically correct garbage thrown around for some kind of political impact.
reply to post by spooky24

I am going to take issue with this. The Tomahawk, by your own admission was used as a weapon in times of invasion....although that may never have been it's original purpose...it was still used as such by the Natvie Americans. I could see how they could be offended if it was a purely cerimonial item...but it was not. Not to mention, that traditions among different tribes varied greatly. Here are some of the uses in Native American cultures for the Tomahawk

A cutting tool
A close combat weapon
A throwing weapon
A ceremonial device
A symbol of warfare

Source

All of this depends on the tribe using it and the necessity at the time. Is it the word itself "Tomahawk" thats the issue?...because the word itself comes from the Powhatan (Virginian Algonquian) word.

So...why would it offend the Native people to refer to the Tomahawk as a weapon, when every source I've read on them states clearly that among it's uses....was as a weapon by the Native American people themselves?

I'm confused.
edit on 27-2-2014 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

To be quite honest, I am so exhausted by various cultures/races being offended. I say screw 'em. Any offense taken to nonoffensive intent is someones problem other than mine.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I do like the idea of being able to replace the handle any time you want and very easily I might add
reply to post by semperfortis

While I agree that this could be a beneficial feature day to day....in a survival situation simplicity is the key. Other handles or hafts won't be available and creates an inherent weak point on the tool. I'd stick with the one piece forged Tomahawks....they are much more robust and do not require constant tightening due to the bolts loosening from vibration.

Or you could just go buy another one with a longer shaft...lol.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Off-topic post removed by the author. I'm trying to do better.

edit on 27-2-2014 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join