It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Could it be that with the invention of the internet, that free speech poses a problem in academia, at least in their minds?

With everyone now their own publisher with the internet as their platform ... I'm just wondering if this is more about unprecedented alternative ideas challenging the status quo.

In response, I just have say - GOOD!
I hope the very foundations of academia continues to be challenged with free speech. Just look at what's happening in other countries, the rioting that occurred, when the state tried to curb access to the internet. Chaos! It would be the same here in America I believe, if they tried to take away free speech.

CdT

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

How did this guy even get into Harvard with that mentality? if you can't see that no one in the world has the right to to someone else they cannot speak what is in their mind you are the fool.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I read this in the USA today this morning......it was disturbing to say the least.

Why is it ok for nut job liberals to say any retarded thing they want, but any conservative saying things that actually make sense and follow a chain of logic that can be followed without an acid trip, have the STFU?

This is complete lunacy, if anyone needs to be silenced it is these tardos, though I would not recommend that, since as soon as you can silence one party, all parties may be silenced as well.

The problem it seems is that there is never any push back from the right on these issues, they just let it go, thus reinforcing the lefts beliefs that what they are doing is right.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
These type of people have lived in a bubble their whole lives and have no idea of how things work in the real world. They live in a perpetual dream state and never venture outside of their circles of other people just like them.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The wise are not learned and the learned are not wise.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Uhhhh....because the right is also a font of batsh*t stupid insane comments as well, fueled by religion and ignorance of basic science? You know, like the fine fellow discussing "legitimate rape" and other retarded gems from conservatives?

About the only issue I have ever heard anything resembling logic and sanity coming from conservatives is their stance on gun control, or rather, their opposition.

Anyway, I don't see what is so special about this ivy league loony chick. She sounds like yet another hysterical fascist cow living in la-la land and lacking the brain power to realize the ironic idiocy of her statements. The only thing I find odd is that she is at Harvard, and not Berkley, where her ilk are more likely to congregate to spew their vitriol and plan new innovative ways to live their hatred for western civilization.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Firstly, as it has already been pointed out, it doesn't make since for someone to oppose free speech when they are essentially giving a speech that was published. I guess it's nice to have a soap box with some visibility. Of course this reflects the attitude of the privileged class where the rules only apply (or not) when they need them to.

“If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals?” asked Korn in her column.

She believes that the majority of the student body, teaching staff, etc., opposes racism and sexism, that sounds about right as the most people are against discrimination based on race or sex. She also adds that the University community opposes heterosexism, discrimination or prejudice by heterosexuals against homosexuals (or any alternative sexual lifestyle) in favor of opposite-sex sexuality. With all the different sexual orientations that are excepted as legally equal, isn't this just more sexism? Sure seems like a loaded term to use at any rate.

I wonder what the majority really believe. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the students are interested in the opposite sex with a very few being "curious" about the alternatives. Many of the straight students are probably accepting of alt lifestyles, some believe it is completely disgusting, but I'm willing to bet most are just tolerant, not interested and not politically supportive. Personally, I think people should just keep that stuff to themselves.

Ultimately I have to accept the fact that everyone has rights, but these privileged liberals have to accept that as well. Don't go flaunting your liberal attitude in my face and tell me I have to believe these extremist ideas are morally correct like you do because we all have the freedom to live and think the way we want to.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Those who are against free speech are the ones most frightened by it.

I find it cute how this woman in all her wisdom and seniority has tried to sound more insightful and brilliant than she actually is and completely contradicted herself. I dare say she will get a few letters to the editor.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

RickyD
reply to post by Elton

No my premise was that I advocate the killing of traitors...hence those who openly speak of circumventing our constitution and revoking freedoms from people because of differing views. You can argue your views and push them all day but when your a person of influence trying to circumvent one of our most basic rights just because other people oppose your views yes it is traitorous and I only wish we were able to put them down by any means necessary.

OK, I suppose mine was that a college student who writes an article does not need to be put on a kill list or censored. We need to use the rule of law this land used to care about (and judicial process) or the end result is just a different brand of tyranny.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

seeker1963
reply to post by ketsuko

Thumbs up for comparing todays Progressives with Religious Zealots!!!

PERFECT ANALOGY!!!

Depends on which religious zealots you mean - there are plenty of peaceful religious zealots who wouldn't dream of interfering with your free will.

I find her rationale reminds me more of the Khmer Rouge, the Taliban, and those who toted around the Little Red Book while marching others off to re-education camps ...

It's intellectual fascism, nothing less.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ironic the only reason she can spout her tripe is because she does have free speech

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Elton

She has every right to speak, but you understand that she WILL NOT return the favor to you if put in the position to safe guard your right because she is convinced that your viewpoint isn't just wrong but EVIL. In that position, your viewpoint has no legitimate seat at the table. The only possible positions that should be allowed are all variations of her own preferred viewpoints. THAT is her free speech.

I'm not sure what sort of dialogue you hope to have or enjoy in the same space with such a creature.

I consider writings like this to be doing us all a great favor - she simply and earnestly wrote what many of her peers are saying to each other and what they're thinking already - suppressing (and in at least some of their heads, "killing") the voices and thoughts of those who don't conform to their dogma is a mainstream notion in many Progressive circles. I'll bet she honestly doesn't get why this notion is even controversial, based on her peer group and what they tell each other.

I think this kind of thinking *is* repugnant, and dangerous if left unchecked. But who's to say whose definition of "traitor" is correct? Do you want it to be acceptable for her kind to pick up a gun and start picking off their opponents because they're "traitors?"

Yes, I'm sure her kind would man the watchtowers at the re-education camps they'd happily herd the rest of us into - but that doesn't give us the right to strike first. Only hardest.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by beezzer

Ironic the only reason she can spout her tripe is because she does have free speech

And she has every right to "say" what she wants.

But her rights end where mine begin.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

RickyD
Some days I wish there was a free america hit squad this type of thing could be reported to. You know an organization of wet work guys loyal to our constitution that you could report violations to that could exterminate those in opposition to our way of life. Sometimes my fantasies make me hopeful for the day when...

ETA: I know not only is this harsh but some would say against the very free speach I wish to protect. Let me be clear I don't mind any speach save for the kind that pushes for limiting the very right used to utter the words of disrespect to our constitution.
edit on 24-2-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

But then thats stiffling freedom of speech too.

Your basicaly saying if you dont agree with me il kill you.

Hypocritical

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
And this goes on daily. Right-wing-nut jobs and racists...name calling. IRS targeting the tea party. Etc. This administration and all the minions don't want to hear you and don't want you heard by others. You are either with them...or against them. And if you are against them, you are a legitimate target for verbal and financial violence. Those of you who don't know this will argue but we are at war. Our government has attacked American citizens financially, verbally and have threatened our freedom. They fired the first shot.

Simple examples. If a programmer were to infiltrate a government computer to obtain information...they are a traitor and a criminal. The NSA infiltrates our computers to obtain information and...tough crap. If I steal money from the government to use against them...traitor. If the government takes money and pays the IRS to go after a group of people they don't like...tough crap. If the government tells you what to do and you don't...criminal. If we elected someone to do something and pay them, and they don't do it...tough crap.

Time to fight back!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

RickyD
reply to post by Elton

No my premise was that I advocate the killing of traitors...hence those who openly speak of circumventing our constitution and revoking freedoms from people because of differing views. You can argue your views and push them all day but when your a person of influence trying to circumvent one of our most basic rights just because other people oppose your views yes it is traitorous and I only wish we were able to put them down by any means necessary.

Im sorry.

Hypocracy!

Pure 100% hypocracy.

Free speech swings both ways.

There is even means that the founding fathers put in place to change the constitution!

She has the right to queation and berate anything she likes even your constitution.

Its only treason if she inforces her views on people without going through the proper chanels to change the constitution .

Ranting and raveing and spreading bs is NOT treason.
Saying it is is frankly no diffrent than in the 1500,s england were you would be executed for critsing thd right to rule of the king.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
And just to add i think what shes sayimg is disgusting.
Dont get me wrong.

Im just defending the stupid womans RIGHT to say it,

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Since liberalism threatens liberty, anything that threatens liberalism is OK in my book.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would just like to say we're talking about a college kid, are your views the same as they were when you were 21ish? Just another kid that thinks they're smarter than they really are. The day you realize you aren't as smart as you thought you were should be the day you become an adult. Still a while to go for this kid.

Great conversation in this thread SnF

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

star and Flag bezzer

Any Harvard alum or current students on here that would be willing to write a reply to her collumn?

Maybe educate her a little bit. That is why she is in school after all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join