It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That, and fifty cents will get you a cup of coffee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
So, I enjoy writing. I'm not prolific, or published, or anything but a layman.

But I've been told by people again and again that I'm a good writer. That my material is well worded.
I'm no Hemingway though. Even if I was, being a good writer these days doesn't amount to much.

From what I see, folks don't read much these days. The only books that make a profit seem to be textbooks, folks have to shell out a hundred or so dollars for each one.

I suppose there's a slight chance I could get published one day, but there's also a chance I could win the lottery, or be struck by lightning. It's a very slim chance though.

I guess I'll do what I've been doing... Writing for me.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
No need to wait on being discovered by a publisher these days. Self-publication is all the rage. I can attest to this since I had done so on a couple of books a few years back and it didn't cost me any big upfront money. I still am amazed that I receive a few dollars here and there in royalties to treat myself to that satisfying cup of coffee.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

The digital information age has had both positive and negative effects on all forms of art.

The positive is that the internet allows endless access to music, prose, poetry, paintings, photography, you name it.

The negative is that due to the quantity of material, quality is now a "lost art" in itself. Discernment and differentiation are at an all-time low. An artist may be the best sculptor in the world and nobody will notice because there are 50 million people that consider themselves "professional" sculptors, cranking out average works that typical consumers cannot differentiate from excellence. It goes for every art form.

It is saturation; information overload. Most popular mainstream artists concentrate about 10 percent on their "art", and 90 percent on their marketing and image.

Check out the most recent musical atrocities from Kanye West. Popular? Certainly. Good? How bad does something have to be before we stop saying that it is a subjective preference?

Sometimes bad art is just universally bad. But the internet, and society, no longer can tell the difference. Saturation.

So... write for you and nobody else. If you produce a diamond, the dogs will not know the difference anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Just out of curiosity, how does a person self publish on line?

I mean, I post my writings on forums occasionally, just to see if they're any good or not, but where could I submit a story to, and have it published-published?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Read up on Amazon about how to format your writing for the kindle.
People have made decent livings by self publishing their e-book and selling it on amazon for a buck a piece.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

I used Createaspace which directly hooks up with Amazon. Awesome starting point if I say from experience. Books don't get printed unless they ordered and amazon sends you your royalties every month now!

Edit add: There is some self gratification in seeing your own books in your library. True it is only paperback, but for me, my words in print was worth any royalties!

edit on 2 24 2014 by CynConcepts because: Clarification

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
There are plenty of books with great writer's tips, how or if you should get an agent, where to submit manuscripts, everything and anything to break out into being a succesful author. There are also writer's sites that could help you a great deal with people willing to critique your work, authors who have already been published and can give you advice. If writing is your passion, then write! And remember that the Wizard of Oz and Harry Potter and other books were once turned down for publishing. A rejection slip doesn't always mean you are not a good writer. Remember that!
edit on 24-2-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Whatever you desire, visualize it and it will come true in due time. If you really want to write, don't stop writting. Do the things you love, because that's the only way to be trully happy.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I am a serious writer and I fully intend to do everything in my power to get a book published in print, no matter how long it takes or frustrating it gets. That being said, ebooks are what most writers turn to and honestly, you never know. A slick cover, good title, provocative description and maybe a reviewer notices it and says some nice things and suddenly you're making a living doing something you enjoy. Otherwise, you have the satisfaction of knowing that your stories are being read and enjoyed by at least a few people. Worth a shot, if you have the time and dedication.

new topics

top topics

join