Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Big Labor, ‘looking for revenge,’ expects to dump $300 million into 2014 elections

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Good.
It's still no match for what the GOP gets.

Getting money out of politics would be better though.
edit on 2/25/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Kali74
Getting money out of politics would be better though.

Do you honestly think that's even possible? You might as well try to get emotions out of politics. It ain't gonna happen. They will just reroute. Things will get more complicated but they will still do what they want. As long as people know WHERE the power is, people will find ways to influence it.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

buster2010
reply to post by xuenchen

Unions have a massive influence in elections.

They have no where near the influence as the banks and global corporations. And 300 mil is a drop in the bucket when compared to those two.
Over 1/4 of a Billion dollars is never a drop in the bucket and Unions are among the most blatant examples of corruption in this nation today. 1/4 of a BILLION dollars that largely came one dollar at a time from member's paychecks in the form of dues. What great guys....did the members figure all that in dues would be shot in a single effort at political power and influence?

Unions have become cheap, corrupt avenues of power through well paid politicians. Business is no better, but we don't justify scumbag behavior by citing OTHER scumbag behavior, and saying business is worse just confirms we agree how bad Unions actually are. We'll agree on business as well...but one absolutely does not justify the other, in even a slight way.

Unions still own their own corruption and efforts to spread it as hard and fast as they can seem to manage.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I will dare to say that it started long before Reagan it was more after Nixon, but you are right Regan did more damage than any other president in the nation, when it comes to the manufacturing business followed by Clinton.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It just amazes me that corporate media has "enlightned" the people to be against a fair days pay for a fair days work.

It seems that people like getting cheated out of benefits and fair standard of living increases along with heathcare that isn't state sponsored.

Ignorance has taken over the masses by corporate "mongrels" that only care about profits.

It seems that people don't mind companies making billions of dollars while the driving workforce gets treated like slave labor.

As a union sheetmetal worker I support my money being used to fight greedy politicians and corporate entities.

If you don't, then I don't want to hear you complaining about government welfare costs skyrocketing because the average worker can't afford to properly take care of themselves while working 2 or 3 jobs.

Seriously, we all need to make $10 an hour. That will take care of things. (Sarcasm)

edit on 25-2-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-2-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
No s&%t really? Big labor looking to buy as many votes as they can? I AM SHOCKED. No just kidding. I know a lot of them are sitting around looking at that headline and asking "300 Million", is that enough?. NO! Make it 300 Billion! and give prizes and free vacations to the people that can buy the most votes for the cheapest price.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

What unions get their members minimum wage and why would they care about that issue?

Seems to me like taxes would be a bigger issue especially considering more overtime puts you in a higher tax bracket.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

buster2010

LouisCypher

xuenchen
Big Labor, ‘looking for revenge,’ expects to dump $300 million into 2014 elections

Revenge? They going to take out adds against themselves for their own crappy decisions over the past decades? Maybe they get start by getting 'revenge' on their own leadeship who put them in this fix as they vote at VW showed that many of the nay voters stated that they did not want to end up like Detroit due to poor policy by the union.

You may want to check your facts. It wasn't the Unions that killed Detroit it was Reagan and the big three that killed Detroit. Reagan waged war on the unions and the big three kept building gas guzzlers during the gas shortage. The unions voted to cut their pay to help the automobile companies and the companies still went under because they wouldn't change their policies. Lay the blame where it really belongs.

You may want to lay blame where it belongs. The greed of the Corporations and the greed of the Unions.

Blame the union:
spent his lunch break drinking alcohol and smoking pot in your parking lot before returning to work
walked onto the job with no training making the same wage as someone with 20 years on the site
expected $50 an hour to do something as simple as sweeping a floor
shut down your ability to perform production over something like a 3 cent an hour raise for 2% of their members
it's almost impossible to fire them once they are hired
they constantly said "it's not my job - even about cleaning up a mess they made themselves

Blame the business owner:
raised prices on product to cover union wages and moved production overseas but continued to raise prices
hire temps for 29 days to replace union workers / lay them off for a day / rehire them for 29 days = never a full hire

It's easy to blame one or the other but that's not realistic. It's the fault of both sides that is causing the hardships now. America needed the Unions at on time to break the backs of the industry slave labor bosses. Those days are over and they are not coming back. They were never intended to be a lobbying group spending all the members dues on ONE political party.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LouisCypher

Sorry but unions did not make any decisions for the company, they made all the bad decisions themselves. I do remember the unions taking concession after concession to help the auto industry. I don't see any of you corporate thugs bringing that up!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

onequestion

What unions get their members minimum wage and why would they care about that issue?

Seems to me like taxes would be a bigger issue especially considering more overtime puts you in a higher tax bracket.

At first glance it would seem pointless for the unions.

Myself, I would see unions using the issue for support of Democrats as one example.

But here's 2 articles that kind of explain.

Some union contracts base some wages on minimum wage +$1.00 for example.

Unions Back Wage Hike

A different kind of union advocates for increase in minimum wage

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

You more than likely aren't old enough to remember this but Detroit died in the 80's when that failure Reagan was in office.

Listen, Just maybe you should check your facts other than just spread that NPR and Liberal B S that's been around for the last 30 years.
There was another,,, and he's not a Republican.
He was thought to have been the worse President in our history until Obama took that away from him.

That fallacy is that the policies of Ronald Reagan are the primary cause of the fall of private-sector unions. The fact of the matter is, they are not. Reagan’s policies are not what has busted unions over the last 30 years. In fact, it is the work of Democrat Jimmy Carter and his deregulators that has had a far more detrimental impact on unions than Reagan ever did. In addition, it is also why, regardless of the efforts of union bosses and their Democrat stooges in Washington, despite a potential temporary upswing, no amount tinkering with the National Labor Relations Act will enable private-sector unions to regain their footing in a 21st Century economy.

Don't Tear Up, I know this'll be hard for you to read.

Union bosses, Democrats and their sycophantic followers on the Left have been allowed to rewrite history for 30 years.

The fact of the matter is, by the time Ronald Reagan was sworn into office the die had already been cast: Private-sector union membership in the United States had already begun its free fall, aided by market forces and the deregulatory push that the Carter administration put in place.

While Ronald Reagan did fire more than 11,000 air traffic controllers when they engaged in (as federal workers) an illegal strike less than a year after taking office, the strike contingency plan Reagan deployed had already been developed under Carter.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) under Carter conducted a management campaign of harassment against union controllers. And 12 months before the government’s contract with PATCO was set to expire, Carter formed a “Management Strike Contingency Force” to prepare for a walkout–including the use of scabs.

Before Ronald Reagan stepped into the Oval Office, the American economy had suffered nearly a decade of economic malaise. By June of 1980, the “misery index” had reached an all-time high and the Carter Economy had become an issue of the presidential campaign. By the time November 1980 rolled around, Carter’s stagflation had become a household word and Ronald Reagan became President. However, this did not happen before President Carter had set into motion the most fundamental shift in America’s regulatory environment that caused the most remarkable decline in union power since the 1947 passage of the Taft-Hartley Amendments to the National Labor Relations Act.

When President Carter signed the Staggers Rail Act into law, he proclaimed:

“By stripping away needless and costly regulation in favor of marketplace forces wherever possible, this act will help assure a strong and healthy future for our nation’s railroads,” the president’s signing statement promised. “Consumers can be assured of improved railroads delivering their goods with dispatch.”

For the most part, Carter’s prediction has come to pass, as railroads were able to finally able to set their own prices and dump unprofitable lines. However, with deregulation has come a loss of union membership as the industry changed over the last 30 years.

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, one of three unions who endorsed Reagan, pretty much controlled the interstate trucking industry in the U.S. prior to 1980. Before Carter signed the Motor Carrier Act of 1980 into law, price-fixing and regulated routes was as much as 75% higher than unregulated freight.

Both the Teamsters Union and the American Trucking Associations strongly opposed deregulation and successfully headed off efforts to eliminate all economic controls. Supporting deregulation was a coalition of shippers, consumer advocates including Ralph Nader, and liberals such as Senator Edward Kennedy.

I could go on with this about Carter and how the Unions under HIS Administration started to Degrade Badly and Lose Membership, but I think this is enough.
Decl ine of the Unions
edit on 26-2-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Is this proof that it's not just big politicians, that the public at large can be bought and paid for?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

dfens

Is this proof that it's not just big politicians, that the public at large can be bought and paid for?

Well that certainly is possible depending on how somebody would look at it.

Higher wages could be a form of "bribery" I suppose.

Perhaps government assistance could be another also.

Like they say; the loyalties usually go to the highest bidders.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join