It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Labor, ‘looking for revenge,’ expects to dump $300 million into 2014 elections

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Looks like the big labor unions are going hog wild for the upcoming November elections.

They are ready to spend big money and are targeting Republicans in general and in particular States.

They will probably use common emotional style themes to get their points across.

I'm sure one main drum pounder will be minimum wage increases.

And then I wonder how many union workers will support a minimum wage increase if they think that could lead to less wage increases at the higher pay scales?

Unions have a massive influence in elections.

Big Labor pledges it will go all in, again, in its drive to knock out its top political adversaries in 2014.

And one of the biggest targets is Wisconsin Republican Gov. Scott Walker, hero to conservatives, bane of the left for his public-sector collective bargaining reforms.

Michael Podhorzer, political director of the AFL-CIO, in a New York Times piece last week said the nation’s labor unions look to spend at least $300 million going after Republicans in this fall’s elections.

Much of that spending is expected to be dropped on four industrial battlegrounds — Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, traditional union strongholds. Big Labor also wants Florida.

The article seems to focus on Wisconsin.
Lots of jealousy there, especially because of the surpluses and tax decreases.
Big Labor, ‘looking for revenge,’ expects to dump $300 million into 2014 elections

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Ahhhh...but they have Obamacare to wade through to get to the voters, this time around. I think Unions are going to find that a tough row to hoe.

I also think, Union members are getting tired of being bled dry by their fat cat bosses, to sway elections. The day has finally come, that lowly members, don't see eye to eye with their overseers.

JMOHO...

Des

edit on 24-2-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

xuenchen

Revenge? They going to take out adds against themselves for their own crappy decisions over the past decades? Maybe they can start by getting 'revenge' on their own leadeship who put them in this fix as the vote at VW showed that many of the nay voters stated that they did not want to end up like Detroit due to poor policy by the union.

edit on 24-2-2014 by LouisCypher because: Not evil enough

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I think that what is being seen by many, is that the Unions are having to make tough decisions, as they no longer hold the kind of power and sway that they once had. People are tired, of the Unions who are more and more a political a political tool, rather than being the organization to help out workers. It is more and more apparent that this is just a scheme to take money from people and try to dictate to businesses, where more and more businesses are looking and either refusing to deal with Unions, or just simply closing the doors, turning out the lights and going else where to continue to make money.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

LouisCypher

xuenchen

Revenge? They going to take out adds against themselves for their own crappy decisions over the past decades? Maybe they get start by getting 'revenge' on their own leadeship who put them in this fix as they vote at VW showed that many of the nay voters stated that they did not want to end up like Detroit due to poor policy by the union.

You may want to check your facts. It wasn't the Unions that killed Detroit it was Reagan and the big three that killed Detroit. Reagan waged war on the unions and the big three kept building gas guzzlers during the gas shortage. The unions voted to cut their pay to help the automobile companies and the companies still went under because they wouldn't change their policies. Lay the blame where it really belongs.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

buster2010
You may want to check your facts. It wasn't the Unions that killed Detroit it was Reagan and the big three that killed Detroit. Reagan waged war on the unions and the big three kept building gas guzzlers during the gas shortage. The unions voted to cut their pay to help the automobile companies and the companies still went under because they wouldn't change their policies. Lay the blame where it really belongs.

The unions and the automakers are both equally responsible for their own demise. One produced crappy cars and the other tried to sell them. I remember doing some work on my Malibu and found garbage in the door frame, you think the CEO stuffed that in there? As for the execs, they missed the boat on the shift to economy cars in the 70s and 80s. Maybe you should put your union pom poms down.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Unions have a massive influence in elections.

They have no where near the influence as the banks and global corporations. And 300 mil is a drop in the bucket when compared to those two.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

LouisCypher

buster2010

The unions and the automakers are both equally responsible for their own demise. One produced crappy cars and the other tried to sell them. I remember doing some work on my Malibu and found garbage in the door frame, you think the CEO stuffed that in there? As for the execs, they missed the boat on the shift to economy cars in the 70s and 80s. Maybe you should put your union pom poms down.

The unions have no influence as to what kind of cars the companies made that was the companies fault. So maybe you should take your anti union blinders off. And where is the proof of this "garbage".

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

buster2010
The unions have no influence as to what kind of cars the companies made that was the companies fault. So maybe you should take your anti union blinders off.

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? I said the exces missed the shift to econmoy cars.

And where is the proof of this "garbage".

Sorry, the 1980s were a while ago and I didn't think to take a picture of the food wrappers stuffed in a soda cup for you to see here in 2014.

The unions are just as reponsible for their own failure as any outside force. If they were so wonderful why did the workers at VW decide not to join? Many of the nay voters felt they were fine without the unions citing corruption and they are entitled to make this choice for themselves. You gonna try and cheerlead by telling me there has not ever been any serious UAW corruption?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
LOL.

Unions didn't kill Detroit!!!!!

Oh hell yes they did.

With their bought, and paid for conservative opposite politicians.

Come on people the only 'people' allowed to buy politician's are unions !

And guess what we have to 'thank' for that ?

Citizens united!!!!!!!!

itizens United v. Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 310 (2010), is a US constitutional law case, in which the United States Supreme Court held that the First Amendment prohibits the government from restricting political independent expenditures by corporations, associations, or labor unions

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes indeed!

Lets get rid of Citizens united!.
edit on 24-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

It's amazing that the average worker who makes only enough to pay their bills will shoot themselves in the foot and complain about unions. The current laws don't protect the worker if they're not unionized. If you don't belong to a union, businesses can fire you without even giving you an explanation or a chance to defend yourself. They don't have any legal obligation to tell you why they're letting you go. Sure there are some things that need to be changed with unions, especially protecting workers who are taking advantage of Union's protecting their jobs while they slack off or abuse it.

If it weren't for unions, a lot of non-union shops would still be paid poverty wages. It's the threat of organized workers that kept non-union shops from dipping below the poverty level. If you think businesses will pay you a livable wage out of the kindness of their heart, think about all the U.S. businesses who have built factories overseas to take advantage of extremely low hourly wages, and no government regulations on pollution controls. Businesses are greedy and all they want is big profits and large return investments for their stock holders. Back in the day, loyalty to a company meant the company had your back. Now corporations don't value their workers. They're expendable as soon as they see their profit margins slipping. Yet they can justify outlandish multi-million dollar salaries for their CEO's and upper management, but can't spare a million of that salary to preserve a few employees jobs who are raising families and are barely making ends meet?

Get rid of the rights of workers to organize and watch the conditions in the work place drop and wages across this country to follow. Young people forget what their grandparents and their grandparents fought for to improve working conditions and to receive a fair and livable wage. We're not slaves to the elite and the wealthy. The hard working people of this country made these businesses successful and wealthy.

edit on 24-2-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
RELAX......THE SOURCE OF XUENCHEN'S ARTICLE IS "THE WISCONSIN REPORTER".
LOOK'S LIKE THE KOCH BROTHER'S ARE GETTING SCARED!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well spoken WeRpeons...well spoken................
The Unions got the working man a semi decent life and the corporate structure has endeavoured to claw that back where and whenever possible....even at great expense....

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

brice

But But...

All the quotes are from union officials !!!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I guess the party of the Unions as the democrats once used to be call it has gotten nothing but crap from Mr. hope and change, I got the feeling that they are going to do this just to make sure that another Democrat do not get their feet into the white house.

edit on 24-2-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

brice

That must mean Soros is quaking in his silk sheets!!!

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

marg6043

I guess the party of the Unions as the democrats once used to be call it has gotten nothing but crap from Mr. hope and change, I got the feeling that they are going to do this just to make sure that another Democrat do not get their feet into the white house.

edit on 24-2-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

Oh I have to disagree there.

From the cash from the 800 billion dollar 'stimulus' to the GM bailouts.

The unions have gotten 'filth' rich. and the admins push for infrastructure spending.

Them 'fat cat' unions have gotten richer.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well I guess we will have to wait and see, but remember it was under Bush that they got the bailout not Obama if I am no mistaken neo.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The issue of unions requires extreme length of view. They're bad in some ways ... good in others.

Once corporate has taken root they are ... inevitable.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

marg6043Well I guess we will have to wait and see, but remember it was under Bush that they got the bailout not Obama if I am no mistaken neo.

You are correct but it was wrong either way since taxpayer money shouldnt be used to bailout private companies for any reason.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join