It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious "Rocks" appear and disappear... Curiosity Sol 550, 549

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
For the "It's A Rock!" Crowd, this thread is about Rocks!
But, Strange Rocks and images. As usual the truth is into details. From Sol 550 something strange happen in that narrow area detected by the Rover. Some rocks appear and disappear right in front Curiosity... Different terrain nearby and some anomalies...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

AND THIS, from Sol 549

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Where did they go? Behind? The perspective is quite the same. How can those rocks disappear behind the big one?

And inside the last one image there is an "cute" anomaly.

THIS ONE that do not appear in the previous images...

The Cub...

edit on 24-2-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Very interesting Arken, star and flag.

That last "thing" looks like a little Tasmanian devil, of cartoon fame. Very weird that it inserted itself into the frame, and that it appears it have legs. It appears, in fact, that maybe this story about life on Mars has some legs.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Jchristopher5
reply to post by Arken

Very interesting Arken, star and flag.

That last "thing" looks like a little Tasmanian devil, of cartoon fame. Very weird that it inserted itself into the frame, and that it appears it have legs. It appears, in fact, that maybe this story about life on Mars has some legs.

Thank you, Jchristopher

I don't know what it is.
I called it "The Cub", but the strange thing is that it isn't in the other images...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Arken

Where did they go? Behind? The perspective is quite the same. How can those rocks disappear behind the big one?

I'd say yes, IMO they disappeared 'behind' that rock ... the sol 550 image (MastCam) shows that very same slab more from a side profile view (just slightly). It's not visible in the cropped views, only in the original images when comparing the background terrain. Since the views are from 2 different perspectives, Curiosity must have moved a bit between sol 549 and 550.

And inside the last one image there is an "cute" anomaly.

Cute, indeed ... all "marsimal hopes" fulfilled, at last!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Nice find Arken. I would assume, that pic #49 was taken as the rover was approaching the large rock, from a farther distance than pic #50.

A slightly different perspective, from a different angle. This would account for the disappearing rocks. They are in the same position, the rover is not.

As far as the cub...I wondered where my teddy bear went.

Des

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Enjoyable puzzle. I would have to disagree about the perspective being the same though. In looking at the larger rock with the connecting rocks on the right, you can see that the rover came around from the 8 o'clock position on 549 to a 6 o'clock position on 550. I would say the rocks are behind the larger rock then are captured in the next one.

Also, you can see the stone that creates your anomaly creature best in your black and white photo. It was captured right in the middle of that pic on the far right edge.

I hope you can understand or see what I am saying. Perhaps, someone else knows how to point this out with the images. I am new and don't know how to do that yet.

Edit add: I guess others noticed too. I type too slow.

edit on 2 24 2014 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Going to spend some time looking at these images Arken.

Have you noticed the PERFECT triangle etched into the rock just in front of the larger rock in your first image?

Going to study it now and make a crop for you all.

Might be wrong yet, but my first impressions were striking, the etched or incised triangle looked very much like it had been carved.

BRB.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Very interesting find Arken!! S&F for you.

I have to admit when I saw the title I immediately thought, oh hear we go again..

But I am amazed to say the least. There are quite a few anomalies in those pictures that you really cant explain. Once again props on the great find!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It also looks like the "cub" or the "Martian/Tasmanian devil is walking away from a vertebra structure.

Of course, those just could be rocks. That Cub is very curious indeed.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

by the direction of travel it looks like one of them is heading behind the phallus shaped rock , im guessing by the time it reached position for the third photo, they were obscured...

hmm but did the little fella move?

funBox
edit on 24-2-2014 by funbox because: of sending slayer69 blind/mad/ with a gif

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Great posT!
That last pic kind of looks like Snoopy.

edit on 24-2-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

i agree that the perspective is'nt the same in both photo's but i have to say its not enough of a change for the rocks to be behind the bigger rock. its a slightly different perspective.
But then i think, why would Never A Straight Answer doctor a photo of rocks?
So that has me stumped.
Also, the back end, or left-hand side of the bigger rock looks different in both photo's

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I have a question......

if you look at the terrain (in the first picture of the cub below the b&w pic) on the ground around the "cub" you see it is very rough with little rocks and such every where. Now if you look at that same spot on the black picture right above it you will see that it is very smooth, almost as if some one had cut out that section and replaced it using photo shop.

My question is this, what is the time between these shots?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

That image of yours is both very informative and kinda annoying at the same time. I had to quit looking at it, started getting dizzy...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Arken, here we go..several odd things in the image you posted.

If you like, i'll move them to another thread, as they are not strictly speaking related to your moving rocks OP.

Let me know.

Here is the inscribed or etched equilateral triangle...it's dead center of the crop. It appears on the original image, on the rock in front of the main large rock, about two-thirds along the large rocks length looking left.

(Notice the 3 holes or black dots, one at each corner?)

Hope you don't mind, but while taking a closer look at the triangle, i found some other curious objects and features.

Here, on the main rock (right end, bottom) there's a curious Golden disk, with strange long and very mechanical looking 'something' laying across the top of the disk.

And closer in view of the golden disk and long, thin mechanical debris;

Weird huh?

Here's another odd object. Just to the left and slightly behind the triangle rock, almost underneath the main large rock, there's a shiny black or dark 'something', if it's a rock, it looks different to any other rock in the image.

No idea for a description, only that it immediately reminded me of an old camcorder (i know it's not a camcorder, just that it made me think of one)..it also looks a little like a gun muzzle.

I've found more, but don't want to hijack this thread.

Cheers for posting the original...there's some fascinating 'rocks' that look an awful lot like mechanical debris amalgamated into a concretion that looks like rocks!

ETA: These images are only crops..they have not been coloured or had brightness or contrast enhanced etc...they are all available to see in the main, original images posted by Arken.
edit on 24-2-2014 by MysterX because: added info

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I see what you mean, its the anchor point at the left of the long rock, that stillness is disconcerting.. ill adjust , I don't want to send anyone blind / get a lazy eye.. thanks for the criticism, I should leave the two perspectives to ArMaP

funBox

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Seriously some members on here need to look more closely at images, they are not the same perspective and not taken from the same location, to be honest with these threads there are a certain group of members that are so desperate to find something they make silly assumptions about images this is a fine example!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Have you noticed the PERFECT triangle etched into the rock just in front of the larger rock in your first image?

Notice yet that, and the Golden disk encrusted
I'm glad you noticed it too.
A perfetc triangle and a golden disk etched in the stone... really a puzzle...
edit on 24-2-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

snypwsd
reply to post by Arken

I have a question......

if you look at the terrain (in the first picture of the cub below the b&w pic) on the ground around the "cub" you see it is very rough with little rocks and such every where. Now if you look at that same spot on the black picture right above it you will see that it is very smooth, almost as if some one had cut out that section and replaced it using photo shop.

My question is this, what is the time between these shots?

Exactly.

That is a good point. Totally different terrain.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Where did they go? Behind? The perspective is quite the same.
The perspective of these two images is not the same.

Look again at the originals and watch the background. Notice how you can see a depression and mountains in the first image yet not in the second?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Flip back and forth through those two images and you'll begin to see why the rocks seem to disappear.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join