It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed

page: 67
<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Is there a Guys day? I bet not. Us shlubs never get to be pampered or have fun.

Ok, we do...but it would be nice to have a day where we can run wild.

Ok...we do that too.

Dammit! I want a day!

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Night Star
reply to post by Serdgiam

Build a desktop? LOL You think you could walk me through, but believe me, you wouldn't want to put yourself through such torture.

I'll probably get a 15 inch or 17 inch laptop with windows 7. All in good time.

Do what you feel is best!

And, I have zero doubt about being able to walk you through it. Done it lots of times with people that have said the exact same thing! At the end of it, they are all rather surprised at how easy it actually is because it can look a bit intimidating.

The advantage is in performance, reliability, and cost. A lot of the parts can be bought "permanently," (like the computer case, hard drives, power supply) and then put in a new computer when you need one. So, you can save quite a large amount of money in the long term by doing that. Many people buy a laptop with the intent of using the portability, but end up just leaving it plugged in at their desk and using it like a normal PC. There isnt a "problem" with this, per se, its just that a desktop will be able to get better performance for less money and the long term cost gets cheaper and cheaper as time goes on.

Another option you can think about is a tablet. If you only use your computer for "typical" stuff (internet, writing documents, spreadsheets, internet games, etc) a tablet will do everything you want it to do and has portability that a laptop struggles to match. Most tablets and laptops have an HDMI out at this point, which means if you want to watch a movie you can connect it to most TVs made in the last however many years (6+). Always make sure to buy your HDMI cables from monoprice.com or else you are probably getting ripped off! So, you can watch it in HD, and you will actually be able to tell! You can also get external disc drives of any type imaginable for pretty low cost. An external USB DVD writer can be bought if needed, for anywhere from $20-$60.

If you cant tell, I am a bit biased against laptops.
I just think they are a middle ground that compromises too many things without gaining enough advantages.
edit on 8-3-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well start one then!
You can call it Dawg Day!!!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'm a Desktop guy myself as it is the entertainment center for my house. Not a big fan of laptops because of the heat issue, but they do double as the entertainment center when on the road.

The folks have been pushing me to get a tablet AND smartphone. I know. Different priorities and all, but I'm starting to be swayed a bit. (I still have a clamshell; GZ One, desktop and Laptop...behind the times ya think?)

I'm looking at the Galaxy S-series of both smartphone and tablet (mainly because of commonality). What's your take on these gadgets? Are they worth it?

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

angelchemuel

Well start one then!
You can call it Dawg Day!!!
Rainbows
Jane

But then it will be the Dawgs day...

And I'll spend it picking up all the poo.

Hmmmm...that gives me ideas.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

TDawgRex

I'm a Desktop guy myself as it is the entertainment center for my house. Not a big fan of laptops because of the heat issue, but they do double as the entertainment center when on the road.

For the price, you cant even come close to how cost effective building your own desktop is!

Especially if you do not do heavy video games, 3d rendering, or something like that.

The folks have been pushing me to get a tablet AND smartphone. I know. Different priorities and all, but I'm starting to be swayed a bit. (I still have a clamshell; GZ One, desktop and Laptop...behind the times ya think?)

Honestly, I think that a desktop is only really *needed* for the heavier duty applications. You can connect most portable devices to a TV and get a nice large screen at any point, so there isnt much advantage there. Pretty much any tool you could want will also work through USB on a tablet, though I would suggest getting one with a "full" operating system rather than a mobile platform. Windows 8 actually isnt all that bad with a touchscreen, though I am not a huge fan of Microsoft.

I'm looking at the Galaxy S-series of both smartphone and tablet (mainly because of commonality). What's your take on these gadgets? Are they worth it?

The Galaxy S smartphones are pretty nice. They tend to be reliable and fairly quick and at this point, their cost isnt too bad. I dont have many issues with them, other than issues I have with a lot of communication tech these days. I actually havent looked at the newest Galaxy tablets, but iirc, they use a mobile-based operating system. I wouldnt necessarily suggest that, though for most people, it would probably work fine for general tasks.

In a lot of ways, I view smartphones the same way as laptops, lol. The difference with phones is that a lot of the cheaper ones can be pure, unadulterated crap! Whereas with laptops, a cheap one will at least function as intended and probably be reliable for a reasonable amount of time.

My personal "ideal" setup is a desktop that serves as a media center/gaming unit (connected to home theater), a full OS tablet, and a phone that can at least make calls reliably. Even as a "techie," I just find that all I want my phone to do is make calls and maybe have a calendar. The other devices do everything better and more comfortably, so I prefer them for any actual computer work.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Serdgiam
My personal "ideal" setup is a desktop that serves as a media center/gaming unit (connected to home theater), a full OS tablet, and a phone that can at least make calls reliably. Even as a "techie," I just find that all I want my phone to do is make calls and maybe have a calendar. The other devices do everything better and more comfortably, so I prefer them for any actual computer work.

It seems that we're on the same page. (With the exception you have a tablet and I have a laptop)

I've identified my needs and all I want is for those needs to be fulfilled by the tech I buy. (Preferably without becoming obsolete within the next six months) And for the devices to last at least two-three years. My desktop is quite old, but I do add/replace things to it from time to time. But I'm afraid the old gal is about to give it up for good. My next desktop will be a custom job. (With Linux)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

To be honest, I dont have either a tablet or a laptop right now. Just gave the laptop to a single mom who is trying to go back to college! When I look now though, its going to be at a tablet.

When you do get your new desktop make sure of the following:

You not only LOVE the case, but its well made. I suggest the Corsair 300R/400R.
You get a power supply that will handle any needs you may ever want (750-900 watts if you are a gamer, 500-750 if you arent).
Get good, reliable hard drives (enterprise drives are great, I personally suggest the Western Digital Caviar Black series)
Dont spend more than about $30 on your dvd-writer doodad
If you have a Microcenter near you, NEVER EVER EVER buy a processor elsewhere. EVER!
If you buy extra stuff (like water cooling, fan controller, etc) make sure its well-built and can be used in the future. With water cooling specifically, make sure you can get parts if you change the socket of the processor down the line
SSD drives are fantastic, but make sure you always have backups either way

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Cooling is the issue I want to address. Mainly because I think that it will expand the life of the desktop. I game on occasion (though not to well) and am always getting programs that are graphic intensive. (I don't seem to do to well with those either...:lol

I just want it to last. Ahh! I see it is time for a nap...LOL it's flippin' snow here again.
edit on 8-3-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

TDawgRex

Cooling is the issue I want to address. Mainly because I think that it will expand the life of the desktop. I game on occasion (though not to well) and am always getting programs that are graphic intensive. (I don't seem to do to well with those either...:lol

Well, you may or may not have heard of overclocking, but there is also underclocking. Processors do tend to eventually die out, frequently because they experience a decent amount of heat constantly. The reason an overclocked processor can die out more quickly is because, frequently, it involves increasing the voltage along with increase the clock speeds. This also ends up creating significantly more heat.

So, what you can do is lower the voltage running to the processor, without changing the clock speed, and reduce temps and longevity without affecting performance (for better or worse). The same process of testing for stability is involved, but in the end, you get a processor that is running at the same speed but producing less heat. Now, some of the newer CPUs are a little more restricted in whether or not you can "play" with them. So, if you are looking at doing something like this, you do have to make sure the CPU will work for your needs.

(FWIW Apple uses typical Intel processors running at lower speeds. Quite a bit lower in some cases.)

ETA: And just to be clear, if you have a Microcenter near you, seriously dont buy your CPU elsewhere. Even if its a hundred miles away, it will probably be financially worth it. They intentionally take a loss on it because they expect you to buy other stuff. You will not find Intel chips cheaper *anywhere*. And again, always buy cable from monoprice. A 12' HDMI cable should only cost around $10.. period!
edit on 8-3-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Do I need to remind you two boyos....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

angelchemuel
Do I need to remind you two boyos....

Rainbows
Jane

Aw...c'mon Jane. Guys like to soup up stuff. Whether it be cars or confusers or what have you...

OoooH! OoooH! OoooH!

You should have seen the time I blew my first bridge on a training exercise. It was a classic screw up...but it was epic! I shut Grafenwohr down for a day while they investigated.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I have no problem with you having 'blokey' time....just a bit concerned that jacy hasn't posted in a bit and somebody might say The Shed got whipped up to Kansas if you get my drifft?

As you were!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

angelchemuel

I have no problem with you having 'blokey' time....just a bit concerned that jacy hasn't posted in a bit and somebody might say The Shed got whipped up to Kansas if you get my drifft?

As you were!

Rainbows
Jane

She has been having problems with her confuser/connection lately, and she does suffer from migraines as well. Think bright thoughts. Though real life does have a bad tendency to interfere from time to time, I'm sure we'll hear from her again. She's across the lake from me and her weather ain't all that great right now either.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Thanks for directing my gaze here! Will be absorbing for a while but the opening is quite the home run!
edit on 8-3-2014 by ErgoTheMirror because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Thanks TDawg

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I own a gaming laptop and an iPad. Love my iPad, have all my books on it, even my textbooks for school, it's much more tempting to throw THAT out the window when my math frustrates me LOL

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Homer, Hey! thanx for the Welcome! I really Appreciate the Acknowledgement.

I am right in line with you on the UFO Geek Topic!! Just had a minute to try to catch up on my U2u's. See ya at The Shed......
Syx.

Hey EveryOne!!! Hope all is well with you and yours.

I'll try to get in here after I plow down some Tacos!! MMMmm The Taco Prepping Aroma here is outstanding!!! Back later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Gordy Hello! Thank You for the Warm Welcome complete with a run-down of the happenings/warnings here!!
I appreciate the official intro's from ALL of You!! I am really glad to be here!!

See Ya's Soon!!! Later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all well! I'm absolutely knackered, and stuffed on KFC hehheh. In other news I am very rapidly going grey. Really, it's not even funny anymore. I'm thinking of just getting purple shampoo.

Anyone fancy a dance...

<< 64  65  66    68  69  70 >>

join