It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'pause' in global warming is not even a thing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Since everyone is jumping on the 'global warming is a myth' bandwagon, I thought I'd present some counter information

While you in the Northern Hemisphere have been freezing your butts off and denying global warming 'because it is so frikkin cold outside right now' we in the southern hemisphere have been boiling our brains out

Climate change impacts People suffering in extreme heatwaves, droughts and flooding, I would argue, don't stand there muttering: "At least the average global temperature on the earth's surface is 0.2C less than some climate models thought it would be." During this lovely comfortable hiatus when we're told by some that global warming has stopped and so we can all stop being such worry pots, what else has been going on? Australia has experienced its hottest year on record after the most widespread heat wave on record. The risk of bushfires is on the rise. The UK is experiencing extreme flooding – again. Other research has found that globally, all this extra warmth means that monthly heat records are being broken five times more often. Even if we do want to look at globally averaged temperatures, the "hiatus" has given the world its hottest decade since records began in 1850. We could go on and on.

Full article here

There is no hiatus and it is only getting warmer

Australia has just had it's hottest year n record and the heat wave we had in January was the worst one ever. I visited my homeland of NZ in November and they (bless their little cotton socks) were complaining because they had just had a week of 25 deg days. (My 48 deg day here in Adelaide beats that hands down)

Here is an Australian map to show I mean what I say

New Zealand has even got in on the act and produced this map of what they are expecting based on what is happening now. I can 100% say the cyclone threat in the North Island is true. I've seen some right rip snorters come through.

Global warming is not a religion or ideology, it's a fact. I've already seen some of the consequences here in Australia and it is not fun. The discussion needs to turn from if it's happening to what's happening and what's driving it.

edit on 24-2-2014 by markosity1973 because: broken link

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Climate change happens. It is cyclic. The entire solar system is heating up at the moment. The 'myth' part is that humans are responsible for it. That is unproven. It might be true that humans contribute, but we can't say that global warming has humans to blame (at this time). And the fact that politicians are trying to scam humanity with 'carbon credits' (etc), doesn't help figure out facts. All people hear is 'global warming' and at the same time Al Gore and Obama and the rest are pushing their green companies which they just happen to be heavily invested in. It turns people off. Ya' know?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm not denying the sun is partly responsible or that factors other than human activity are contributing.

However, it is happening and we are starting to see the effects.

I will PM you, as there is an aspect to this that is not suited to this forum.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

Just because Australia is hot, doesn't mean much to the rest of the world. Remember, "GLOBAL" warming.
(yea, I know, it sucks when your logic is used against you)

Think about the term you used. "record" breaking. Meaning, somewhere in the past, it was almost this hot before. How many times did that happen? was it all in the last few years? If not, how did it get that warm before and not skyrocket into a molten pool of lava?

Is it even remotely possible that we are in a warm cycle that is coming to an end? Or does it have to be AGW and sell carbon credits to survive?
edit on 24-2-2014 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Climate change happens. It is cyclic. The entire solar system is heating up at the moment. The 'myth' part is that humans are responsible for it. That is unproven. It might be true that humans contribute, but we can't say that global warming has humans to blame (at this time). And the fact that politicians are trying to scam humanity with 'carbon credits' (etc), doesn't help figure out facts. All people hear is 'global warming' and at the same time Al Gore and Obama and the rest are pushing their green companies which they just happen to be heavily invested in. It turns people off. Ya' know?

Although I agree that the degree to which humans are contributing to global warming is unclear, you are simply wrong in asserting that "the entire solar system is heating up." In fact, it is the opposite:

www.skepticalscience.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Wait here 5 minutes and someone will be along to discredit that site. I swear, this subject gets harder to comprehend as it goes along. Now each side has their own data and the other side is always wrong. I think we may have to just wait 5 more years and see if we all combust into flames, or perhaps the global temps continue to cool.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Since everyone is jumping on the 'global warming is a myth' bandwagon, I thought I'd present some counter information

Your OP is precisely why even the United Nations has dropped the "Global Warming" language from most material and good riddens too. Climate *CHANGE* is a realistic thing to say, because the weather regulator that keeps our system running in a predictable way and where things don't generally cross extremes too often...seems broken if not at least running rough and in bad need of a tune up.

Australia bakes...while Georgia freezes solid and then a swath from Texas to the Carolinas have been host to ice storms more than once this year. Our season opened with 1,000 cold records broken in a single day ..and a point I'd written a thread on for the novelty at the time. Now, its broken much more for those extremes in cold and weather this season.

The point being, Global Warming is a silly notion to hang onto when we are seeing extremes to both ends. We might as well say global cooling...and in the right place, it's 100% accurate too. In GLOBAL terms...it's instability building within the overall weather engines.....hence, Climate Change.

My two carrots...

edit on 24-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

DJW001
you are simply wrong in asserting that "the entire solar system is heating up."

Um .. I'm not wrong. Yes it is.
Solar System Climate Change
Even Pluto is going through 'global warming'
Live Science - Sun Blamed for Warming Earth and Other Worlds

The thing is .. Earth is warming up at a faster rate then the others.
We have to figure out if that's cyclic or if humans are to blame for the faster rate.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The entire solar system is not heating up. And what politicians do with an issue shouldn't have any bearing on whether an issue is a fact or not.

The reason for the slowed increase of global mean temperatures is because the heat has been being absorbed by the oceans. However despite that and despite the horrible, enduring bitter cold in parts of the US this winter (it's winter up in the northern hemisphere), January 2014 was 4th warmest January on record.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

a volcano emits an equivalent quantity of greenhouse gasses
that it would take humans at the present day productions, 7000
years to equal.
There is no proof of global warming.

in the last 100 years the temp has risen .6 of a degree.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

Your OP is precisely why even the United Nations has dropped the "Global Warming" language from most material and good riddens too. Climate *CHANGE* is a realistic thing to say, because the weather regulator that keeps our system running in a predictable way and where things don't generally cross extremes too often...seems broken if not at least running rough and in bad need of a tune up.

Indeed, warming / cooling the truth is that the climate is changing.

The point being, Global Warming is a silly notion to hang onto when we are seeing extremes to both ends. We might as well say global cooling...and in the right place, it's 100% accurate too. In GLOBAL terms...it's instability building within the overall weather engines.....hence, Climate Change.

My two carrots...

I am my own worst enemy with my terminology, I will concede that. I like the term that someone here in Australian media coined 'Global weirding' - it sums it up the best for me personally.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This has been discussed before, as has the Temperature map.

I certainly admire your passion, But as someone like yourself, from NZ, I guess anything over 30 deg is a heatwave.

Let me reassure you, after having spent 50 + summers in Adelaide.....this summer is no different than many many summers before it.
If you have only been here a few years, then you can be forgiven for panicking.
The last 5-6 years, our summers have been quite mild, this year is back to a more Normal summer pattern.

We have NOT had 48 deg in Adelaide.... The hottest has been about 44.5 Deg., and that is only for 1 hour out of a complete 24 hour day.

The weather you have been experiencing is normal. We Always get very hot northern winds that travel across the vast deserts of Oz, and blow straight to us. In fact during Really Hot summers, we have Dust storms, which pelts us with red dust....but we havent had one of those for many years.

There have been no more bushfires than normal.....every summer there are bushfires, and more people building homes in bushfire risk areas.....nothing has changed.

It is also Normal for us to have Summer rains, as we did last week. In fact last weeks rains we the most we have had for many years.

In the 1960s, I remember many a summer heatwave was broken with summer rains (as per last week), and the bitumen on the roads was so hot, that steam rose from the wet roads. Have'nt seen that for a while now.

Our hottest months are January and February, so the weather we are having right now, in the mid 20s, is actually cooler than our normal summer weather.
We still have a few more weeks for some more hot weather to come, dont put away the suncream yet.

Dont panic, Australia is not Melting away...this is just a normal summer.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
not posting for some reason ....

edit on 2/24/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

FlyersFan

DJW001
you are simply wrong in asserting that "the entire solar system is heating up."

Um .. I'm not wrong. Yes it is.
Solar System Climate Change
Even Pluto is going through 'global warming'
Live Science - Sun Blamed for Warming Earth and Other Worlds

The thing is .. Earth is warming up at a faster rate then the others.
We have to figure out if that's cyclic or if humans are to blame for the faster rate.

Pluto is heating up because it has moved closer to the Sun. Mars is going through a period of warming due to its Milankovitch cycle.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Those planets have a much, much longer orbit around the sun than earth does. For instance Pluto takes 248 years to orbit the sun and it's wobble is way more dramatic than ours. So while Earths seasons change 4 times every 356 days if Pluto even has four seasons, it would take 248 years to get through 4 seasons.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The one thing that one side claims over and over again is the "All signs point to an acceleration of human-caused climate change" ...If it is human caused I hardly think that CO2 is the culprit . The warmest side of the debate want to drive that part home from every angle possible .Could it be HARP or geoengineering ...don't know but as far as I am concerned with some of the attempts by some of the scientist involved in this less then rigouress/rigoress charts and graphs and pal reviewed studies one is left to only say , yea so what it's hot where you are ...don't like it ! move to where I am because baby she is cold outside .

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I posted information showing that the entire system IS heating up. You are free to disregard that if you wish and you are free to believe those who say it is not. I also said that Earth is heating up faster - so that means either we are in a natural cycle of climate change OR people are contributing to the change.

ANd as far as the politicians go .... when crooked politicians like Al Gore pull a 'carbon credit' scam on humans, all so he can pad his bank accounts with millions of $$$, it turns people off to the situation. They assume the entire 'climate change' thing is just another political money making scam. And they could be right.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Global Warming is absolutely correct terminology.
The climate is changing because the planet is getting warmer.
No matter how much deniers love to trot out the name change as some sort of indication of proof that science has no idea what it's talking about, it doesn't change facts.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

lol... Global Weirding.. I like that. It fits. It REALLY fits.

Global weirding ....as we watch things like Ocean temps rise without air or ambient temps to even start to explain. Antarctic ice melting ..and absolutely 0 chance air temps are above freezing. Warmth from the depths, if not from the air ..and what from? Indeed.. Weirding is the best term I've heard.

Mind if I use it?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

No one with functioning synapses is going to tell you that the climate is not changing. What some people argue about is whether or not the higher percentage of the cause of that change is mankind and it's activities, or natural cyclical change. The stupid thing about both groups, is that at this point it matters not one bit which cause is responsible for the unfolding situation. The important thing now, is to learn to mitigate the worst effects of that change, by changing the way house building works, thinking about new ways to deal with river flooding, and coasts being claimed by the sea, and in hotter locations, seeking better and more efficient ways to harness sunlight for the benefit of the population.

Focusing half as much time and energy on solving the issues CAUSED by climate change, as is spent currently on bickering over what caused the change in the first place, would see our reactions to it improve as a species, and see lives and livelihoods secured long term. Continuing to BS about it from one side or the other, will only result in variously drowned, burned or starved people, and little else besides.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join