It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists turn to GARLIC to kill deadly bacteria

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

White garlic is generally the strongest and the longer garlic is stored, the stronger the flavour is, and the healthier it's components are.

Some supermarkets in the UK do extra strong garlic and wild garlic can be added as a herb with a milder flavour in lots of dishes where it isn't as obvious as a flavour. Using the cloves whole also gives a milder flavour, especially added to slow cooked dishes.

There is a great French recipe that is called 40 garlic chicken and basically is roast chicken, often cooked in a clay pot, chicken brick, or cast iron pot, with 40 cloves of garlic. It tastes great and the garlic just melts.

Roast garlic can be used in so many ways, it softens so can be used as a fast option with olive oil and vine tomatoes for pasta, tapinades etc.

Smoked garlic is also nice, good roasted and used in dips and sauces as well as winter stews and casseroles.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I generally introduces garlic into my meals such as:
- scrambled eggs
- protein shakes
- oven roasts
- meat stews
- marinade
- toasts

Sometimes if I get nailed with a bad cold (doesn't happen often), I will eat a few cloves raw daily

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Good stuff!

I add garlic to those things too (apart from protein shakes as I don't do those) and more. I am surprised at some people's attitude to garlic, especially here in the UK, some people will only eat things like straight meat, potatoes, veg, minimal seasoning and not garlic.

I think they are often being precocious ''the flavours are too strong for me'', probably because they never tried it. I know a good few people that said they didn't like certain foods but had never tried them to know, and when they did, loved them.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth

Good stuff!

I add garlic to those things too (apart from protein shakes as I don't do those) and more. I am surprised at some people's attitude to garlic, especially here in the UK, some people will only eat things like straight meat, potatoes, veg, minimal seasoning and not garlic.

I think they are often being precocious ''the flavours are too strong for me'', probably because they never tried it. I know a good few people that said they didn't like certain foods but had never tried them to know, and when they did, loved them.

The best garlic is organic...of course...but here in Canada, the best garlic are those from US. We also get sold garlic from China, which I feel should be banned because:

1) It tastes like sh*Ft (no nutritional value whatsoever)
2) It is perfectly symmetric with its cloves (suggesting genetic engineering)
3) It peels very easily (again, GMO)
4) It is very cheap to buy (suggesting it is artificially made perhaps?)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

IceHappy

SnF thank you for posting this.... Something I have long believed in.... Garlic has always found itself in my cooking... ex-wife always (English) suggest I am over kill with garlic... if recipes state one or three cloves I use a bulb....

Now after surviving almost stage 4 cancer and she is taking a tablet that eliminates all female hormones as they feed cancer her type that is for three years she woke up and said she no longer needed a man and ended a 30 year marriage leaving me stranded in the UK..... Point is a year ago I went into a depression as I did not want the divorce. The Black Dog refused to allow me to cook for myself. I needed to loose weight as I was a type 2 diabetic and my youngest daughter was gonna have a white wedding middle of Nov last. So I started eating oatmeal for breakfast laced with cinnamon and I started taking cinnamon caps 1000 mg morning 500 lunch and 1000mg dinner. I who need an ankle replacement due to exotic life style of a Ranger years gone past and HALO jumper long distance runner etc, I started walking. In 2 weeks I was hurting but put in my mind those sleep rails in Burma and what our POWs looked like when liberated. In their honour I had the strength that this will not kill me. UK had the first summer in three years. As a Californian I suffer from SAD and needed sun. So walking became my day and ended up walking 10K a day. Dinner was a simple salad no salad dressing favouring instead Cole slaw the healthy type that has less fat. 3 - 4 table spoons on top said salad. Every other day I treated myself to a tin of Tuna on top of salad under slaw.... I found a shop that sold inexpensive garlic cloves in brine. I started eating three cloves a day.....

I am one who rarely receives colds... I have always suggested to my irritated wife that its because of the garlic who loved my food if it wasn't so spicy ergo she never ate much of it but snacked on other items which is why she is huge. I was 295lbs on a 6'1" frame too fat but not like her who is 4'12" LOL...

When Nov came for the wedding the tailor who measured me for the father of the bride tails in June heard I was dieting he said good luck as that is a common statement during the initial measurement taking, was blown away I lost 5 chest sizes and 8 waist sizes. Went from fat boy vest to proper vest. This was the kindest pressie I could give the bride as she was employing a fabulous wedding photographer who took over 800 photos. She will have them when I am gone and will forever know I did this for her wedding. My ankle still hurts and doctors want to replace it but not used to having questions I asked how long will it last... 10 years but you 8, I saw another doctor for a second opinion and he said after studying my notes 6 years.... Next question which was a deal breaker... What is the replacement replacement like.... silence.... doctors looking other directions but at me. A complaint that he has never been asked these many questions... I said its important. Of course he said but its not good news.... there is no replacement in fact we will have to fuse you foot to the leg! Well I will wait for the replacement replacement comes out. I am 60 years young its only my body in service for my country whom turned her back on me in the 70's I left, my mind is still set at 30!!!!

Back on topic. I have an English mouth now. Last time in the States I broke a tooth and had to see a dentist. Long story short he invited after asking of course all of his staff (he had 8 dentist working for him) to come in and look in my mouth. How embarrassing.... This gentlemen is an English mouth. If any of my clients end like this the one who has been treating will be fired full stop end of that story. His xray reveals an infection in my back upper teeth. Thanksgiving was hell for me. My daughter was honeymooning in NZ and I who never been alone on Thanksgiving spent my first totally alone. Sad depressed withdrawn I woke up the day after and could not move my jaw. Point is my entire upper jaw infected. I am still not right having lost 5 teeth now. I cannot wait for partial plates but gums still too soft to take the impressions needed. Maybe next week and yes I have private care here not NHS dentist.

Thanksgiving day was last day of garlic taking....

This morning I woke up to the worse head cold with nose dripping and sore throat. This is not a bad cold but for one who does not get colds and cannot remember what decade was my last trial of a cold I don't like it. I hate a dripping nose.

Then it hit me. I am not taking any garlic what so ever. Hmmmmmm

Then OP you posted this article... I had to write...

I am now chewing cloves using my front teeth. Eating without rear teeth is not fun there is no pleasure in eating right now... hope it returns when partials are fitted. Only concern is roof of mouth is part of the eating experience will be covered by the partial plate. Bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have lost 75lbs btw and my last type two diabetes tablets taken was day before Thanksgiving with no ill effects so far. On Wed I will be taking the blood test I been tardy in getting. Nurse been calling three times to get me in. I just wanted to clear my body from those Mediformin tablets for a few months before the blood test to see the results.

I was getting comments all the time that I am loosing weight when walking to the point I started wondering if I was doing wrong by my body... I started research and came across a wonderful doctor who is on Youtube. Dr. Neal Barnard. Wonderful information provider. First I saw Kickstart your body. Then I went on to Dr. Neal Barnard: Eating Right for Cancer Survival. Wow impressed I am doing the right things.... He is not selling anything but how to get healthy highly recommended viewing.... I turned my ex wife on to him.... But alas one of the reasons we are not together is I am a thinker and proud of it and she is the opposite. Don't confuse me with the facts is her favourite line LOL.. It saddens me that she is getting bigger.

Moral of this rant? Garlic Cinnamon... They are natures way of curing and preventing disease... Its been a quarter of a year sans garlic and my first cold in decades... What does it cost you to try and change to be more healthy????

Enjoy and Peace

Thanks OP wish I could give more than one Flag but I can star each comment you make!

You must get some comfrey root and make a poultice out, apply it to your ankle several times a day for complete healing of your ankle, give it a shot. Wish I could provide you with a link, sorry about that, quick search should help though.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I have tried elephant and giant purple garlic here but those are a form of leek and not really garlic, despite looking the same, they don't taste much like garlic.

There is a cheap German supermarket chain here that apparently does giant 'pearl' garlic from China, it's one single giant clove about half the size of an average bulb. I was just reading about it, apparently it grows faster there because of the climate in the area it's grown. Though there are other suggestions. I don't buy or trust anything from that supermarket and I sure wouldn't trust their garlic and after learning about so many unscrupulous practices, I am very wary of any food from China.

I try to buy local when possible but after that grown nationally and preferably organic.

www.theguardian.com...

Lidl's solo or pearl garlic is the real thing: a version of allium sativum, the plant that worried our grandparents on trips to French restaurants and keeps vampires at bay. This variety grows as a single clove because of the planting practices and the warm climate in Yunnan, a mountainous region of southern China.

Do we need it? Probably not. Garlic peeling can be a quick and satisfying task. (Most of us just put the clove under the blade of a chopping knife and press down with the heel of the hand till the skin cracks and loosens. But others have more magical methods.) More disturbing, my local greengrocer won't stock this or any Chinese garlic as they believe many farmers fertilise their soil with untreated human faeces.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My blessed mother-in-law introduced me to the health benefits of garlic---wasn't hard to convince me since I love the stuff!
It is one of the easiest foods to grow so if you have a few square feet of dirt, you can produce healthy, organic garlic with very little manual labor after the initial labor of planting.
Obtain several bulbs of organic garlic and break them into individual cloves. In our area it is planted in mid-October for harvest in July. Plant the cloves 2-3 inches apart, about an inch deep then cover the entire bed with shredded leaves or pine needles. Now sit back and wait. If the leaves/needles get blown off, replace and keep the area covered. This keeps the weeds down. My garlic was up and about 6 inches tall when the winter set in. Keep watered when they begin growing in spring as they do like a lot of water.
If you have compost, add a lot before planting and work into the top of the soil. If you have wood ashes, SPRINKLE them along with the charcoal left in the ash before planting. The charcoal works as biochar, allowing the soil to hold nutrients and making it easier for plants to take up the nutrients in the soil. The ashes contain lots of trace minerals taken up by the trees over many years.
But the compost and other additions aren't absolutely necessary. The first time I grew garlic, I just cut the sod back from an area of my yard and planted. The bulbs weren't as big as I got later, after adding compost, but they surely were tasty.
Thanks for the post!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth
We have odourless garlic daily in capsule form.

Also it is essential as a flavour in most dishes and delicious.
edit on 24-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

If it doesn't have the smell you don't get the full benefit from my understanding. If you take the pills that haven't been stripped of the sulphur compounds you can always do so in a way that assures they will digest quickly - empty stomach maybe. Or take chlorophyll if worried about the smell. I've not had a problem to date with the smelly pills. I mean - you can feel the sulphur so don't want to take too much (might hurt your stomach) but it gets absorbed pretty quickly in my experience.

When considering the variety of capsules available to you, look for the amount of allicin in each supplement; many do not contain any. This may be because allicin is a sulfurous compound that gives garlic its notorious smell — some consumers worry that garlic supplements will make their breath smell unattractive. Some capsules instead list the amount of another compound called alliin, a different compound that is not as potent or beneficial. www.wisegeek.org...

edit on 24-2-2014 by Dianec because: To add link

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

The best way of getting health results from garlic are crushing it, adding lemon juice, letting it sit for 10 minutes then using it raw or as near as.

I don't take out the green part of the garlic personally. Though I do use garlic a lot in cooking more than raw, because of it's use as a flavour whilst also getting at least some of the health results from it.

I have suffered from iron deficiency / low blood count anaemia for years and garlic is good for iron absorption so I take the garlic capsules anyway, they keep a percentage of the nonvolatile compounds, so worthwhile.

www.whfoods.com...

Chopping or crushing stimulates the enzymatic process that converts the phytonutrient alliin into allicin, a compound to which many of garlic's health benefits are attributed. In order to allow for maximal allicin production, wait at least 5 minutes before eating or cooking the garlic. Also observe this 5-minute "time out" period before adding any high acidic ingredient to the garlic (for example, lemon juice). Ingredients with a pH below 3.5 can also deactivate the enzymatic process.

Since crushing and chopping are the food preparation steps that activate garlic's enzymes, these steps can help you obtain many of garlic's special benefits. For example, research has shown that microwaving or boiling garlic in uncrushed, whole clove form will deactivate its enzymes, preventing these enzymes from working. For this reason, we recommend that you chop or crush the garlic cloves prior to heating. According to research on garlic preparation methods, it only takes 60 seconds of microwaving whole cloves to lessen some of garlic's health benefits. By contrast, many of garlic's health benefits (including its anti-cancer properties) are preserved if the whole cloves are crushed and allowed to sit for 10 minutes prior to cooking.

www.chiro.org...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I like the organic locally grown purple elephant heart Russian garlic they have here. Yummy.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

When I was sick a couple of months ago I was crushing garlic in everything and eating it raw (crushing raw garlic on cooked food). I think I found my personal overdose or toxicity on this because I bit into some pasta I had added some raw garlic to. I'm pretty sure every blood vessel in my body about exploded. Nose running, heart beat changed, etc. I think I just had too much in the bite I took or it was due to having crushed it about 10-15 minutes before I ate it. It was a little troubling so now I'm much more careful.

I've heard of people juicing garlic but I would think this would not only taste horrible but also contribute to possible toxicity. It's too bad we couldn't get the full therapeutic value in 1 clove. However - it might be that we're meant to take it over time - allowing the body time to assimilate to it. It might be we are not meant to extract all the good stuff and take it as one therapeutic dose.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I felt ill from eating raw garlic a few times too, now I make sure I cook the garlic, unless in the capsules.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Garlic ( ginger, lemon & honey) - My witchdoctor magic 'make your throat better' recipe.

1. Roughly chop 2-3 cloves garlic, and the same amount of ginger.
2. Add to simmering water & leave for 2-3 minutes.
3. Strain, and add juice of 1 lemon & 1 tablespoon of natural honey.
4. Mix well.

Use this like a cordial with hot or cold water.

( yes it smells )

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by V3isM3

If I have a sinus headache a cup of freshly juiced ginger tea will take it away (better than any pain reliever I've tried). I've had people say it's like drinking a cup of pepper water, and I admit it is a slow sipping sort of tea but it really works. I can't imagine adding garlic to that mix but with enough honey - probably would be palatable.

Also - there are different kinds of garlic - elephant, etc. I started reading once the different level of compounds in each but it was a bit overwhelming - wasn't even sure it was based on fact. I would say different types probably are more powerful than others. As long as it all works eventually I suppose this is what matters.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nature has the cures! We just need to understand and find them.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I think garlic protects us in many ways - one is to create an aromatic layer around us that prevents bacteria from even surviving contact with our bodies .. the exact definition of aromatic might be up to interpretation

Personally I eat an average of 4 cloves of garlic per day, also 1 teasp of turmeric, 1 teasp black pepper, 1 teasp ginger, half a lime, hot cocoa drink (tablespoon of honey, tablespoon of cocoa, 1 teasp of cinnamon), 1 teasp oregano, 1 teasp parsley, 2 chillies, and either bamboo shoots or broad (fava) beans.

Add some broccoli and spinach, potato with skin, onions, avocado, mackerel, coconut or coconut milk, other nuts, general fruit and veggies and you are looking pretty good for diet. Everything on that list is basically essential - if you are not getting all this food, you are increasing your chances for serious disease.

You can add some whole grains, but dont over do it - just a handful a day, or a few slices of whole or mixed grain bread is more than enough. Avoid sugar and salt, and always use canola or olive oil for cooking.

The other thing people often dont get enough of is sunlight - vitamin D deficiency is very common, and a leading cause of depression and lowered immune system function - morning sun is the charm - use a supplement in winter to help avoid the 'winter blues', flu's and colds.

Theres my diet tips anyhow - provides a wide range of things which many diets fail to include.
edit on 25-2-2014 by Amagnon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace

I put garlic salt on a lot of things... probably not the same thing, though.

Hi there,

you should try to put garlic powder instead of garlic salt, much better for you health since salt is so omnipresent in every food, cutting on it can't harm you

Peace out

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

theabsolutetruth

The best way of getting health results from garlic are crushing it, adding lemon juice, letting it sit for 10 minutes then using it raw or as near as.

I sometimes crush it and toss it into the roast pot or I like to crush by knife and then chop it into fine pieces and add it to scrambled eggs...

UPDATE: I ate three cloves today!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

theabsolutetruth

I forgot to add to my reply to you *truth about why do you add garlic to lemon juice? I never tried that? What is the purpose of using the lemon juice and then do you drink it raw as is?

edit on 26-2-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Garlic cures ills shocker.

Just don't tell the twilight crowd, they'll think garlic growers are trying to kill off their vampires.

P.s Garlic is cool, it tastes great roasted, plus it can cover up the smell of whisky morning breath ( I used to work with a guy who used garlic every morning - wink).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join