Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Where Were You Born? This Site Knows. (USA only)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I have moved all over the country but lived in Michigan for a many number of years, I live in Phoenix but was born in Long Beach California. It gave me 3 maps, the one had Phoenix on it and a town about 100 miles from Los Angles!
It was accurate on where I was least from, the South, the far east and the middle of the country.
Stuff like Drive-up Liquor stores we call "Drive up Liquor store"!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Not even close but I suspected as much since I have lived in various parts of the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
My result was 3 cities that were 1000 - 1500 miles away from where I was born (not even the right state) - cities where I've never lived (although my parents lived in one of the cities at one time). In defense of the quiz though, I only lived in my birth state for a few years after I was born, then moved to various places in Texas, Arizona, California and Nevada. Even having spent most of my life in Texas - I have no accent.

It's probably an accurate quiz - but won't catch those of us who didn't stay in one place for very long.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I got a little too far south. lol

We have kind of our own dialect around here anyway. The wild cat one would have been a perfect giveaway if they had our name for it. "Wampus cat".

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hmmm, it put me in the New Orleans or Baton Rouge area! Never lived there---never lived for very long anywhere outside Kentucky. Parents were the same, blooming where they were planted.
Ah, but when my Prince tried it, it just went nuts. A Brooklyn-born guy who lived a lot of different places before settling on Kentucky in 1968, most locals are amazed when he comes out with some "Brooklyn-ese." However, in his defense he was raised by a Southern mother (Atlanta) and a prairie-born (South Dakota) father. I suppose that combination must have snarled up the study's innards so badly that it couldn't compute.
Hey, it was good fun for a huge laugh for both of us!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

unb3k44n7
reply to post by thepolish1

That was just down right creepy.

It didn't get the exact city, but the triangulation of the three cities, I was smack dab in the middle.

Rockford Ill, Fort Wayne, In, and Indianapolis, In

As was the color map. The darkest red was where I grew up.

Does anyone else call the round a bout, the thing you drive in a circle so you don't have to stop,

"The Hillbilly Roundy-Round??? We also use that term for the dirt race tracks that are oval.

Before any hillbillys on here get offended, I'm part one, and part Pollock, so I'm more screwed than you.

Get over it.......RALMFFAO......

Not offended, although not a hillbilly -- fellow Polock speaking. Never heard of Hillbilly Roundy-Rounds, just round-abouts, but then again they only exist in the southern portion of my state. If they were prevalent in the northern part of the state, i am positive we would not be calling them round-abouts, that would just be too easy.

...I tend to drive through them at near speeds of mach 20...it can't be helped, their repetitive nature and placement drives me impatiently nuts, I must admit...

blogs.citypages.com...

"A roundabout is a combination between a three ring circus and the Kentucky derby racetrack."

Note to Jane: The whole point of a roundabout is to keep traffic moving -- not to stop.

And kept moving it shall.
edit on 2/26/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

Nice to speak to a fellow Pollock. I try to steer clear of the round a bouts, they are just aggravating. Cuz usually when I come up to one, I have to stop. So it is pointless to have one in my mind. Of course, I don't think like everyone else.

One thing my dad always told me, if someone questions me about being Polish, reply.....

"Yes, but I am smarter than your average cumquat." You can Imagine some of the looks I've gotten over the years.

And you don't even want to know how many times I have had to explain what a cumquat is..........

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

Domo1

Pretty much spot on. There were a few I figured would be different. I'm one of the few brave and proud people around here that calls it pop. It makes no sense to shorten soda pop to the longer word. Fools.

That was a fun little test! Ty Roo.

Always my pleasure Domo.

BTW - I say soda... I hope we can get over this little hurdle.

I went to school in Tennessee for a year, and I'm from Northern Indiana. I had a girl ask me if I wanted to go get a Coke, and I, of course, said yes, because I drank Coke, we walked in the room with the vending machines, it was a Pepsi machine, she got her drink, turned to me and asked me If I was getting one, I said no, because it wasn't Coke, she showed me her Pepsi and informed me it was a coke..........You can say I had a mild culture shock at first.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hard to believe there are so many regional variances ...and that the ones I picked were spot on.
A fun quiz.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Oh, darn. My test results were 100% wrong.

Although, most people I meet ask if I am from New York. Hmm...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Mine was way off I got Wichita, Lincoln, Omaha. I have never been to either of those states. I'm was born in Alaska, My parents are from West Virginia. I have been to the lower 48 a few times but haven't really spent alot of time down there.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution