It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Were You Born? This Site Knows. (USA only)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I tried again, choosing British terms on purpose to see if I could break the quiz. It didn't work. They had to pick something, even if said area was only surrounded by a bit of pale orange.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Listed three cities for me and I had only briefly visited one (less than a day). The other two had never been to before. All three cities were far off the mark ( half a country away). Though; to be honest, I have moved around a lot in my life (mid-west, south east, west coast, and abroad). Guess I'm just an amalgamation of the country as a whole. The whole eastern half of the us was at least orange and my birth place was close to red but was not listed directly.
edit on 25-2-2014 by illuminateme because: Added info

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It pegged me as either Madison WI, Rockford IL, or Rochester NY.

I guess you can say it got the origin region somewhat right, I was born in western MI. I grew up in FL, though. To be honest, for each of the questions, I seem to use words from all over the country, not some general region.

I'm hard to categorize on the accent, too. I pronounce some words differently than others, according to people who've noticed. I have a southern accent for some, a midwestern accent for others, and sometimes people look at me and go "You Canadian?? for a few others.

edit on 2/25/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
That was just down right creepy.

It didn't get the exact city, but the triangulation of the three cities, I was smack dab in the middle.

Rockford Ill, Fort Wayne, In, and Indianapolis, In

As was the color map. The darkest red was where I grew up.

Does anyone else call the round a bout, the thing you drive in a circle so you don't have to stop,

"The Hillbilly Roundy-Round??? We also use that term for the dirt race tracks that are oval.

Before any hillbillys on here get offended, I'm part one, and part Pollock, so I'm more screwed than you.

Get over it.......RALMFFAO......

edit on 25-2-2014 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

thepolish1

It didn't get the exact city, but the triangulation of the three cities, I was smack dab in the middle.

Does anyone else call the round a bout, the thing you drive in a circle so you don't have to stop,

"The Hillbilly Roundy-Round??? We also use that term for the dirt race tracks that are oval.

Before any hillbillys on here get offended, I'm part one, and part Pollock, so I'm more screwed than you.

edit on 25-2-2014 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

Hillbilly here too. It got me on y'all straight off. I have no shame.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
For sure..ya'll and crawfish gave me away.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

kosmicjack
For sure..ya'll and crawfish gave me away.

NOOO! Everyone knows it's a Crawdaddy!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Erm..those are fightin' words. LoL! Don't make me go Cajun...

j/k...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Listed three places I had never been. At least they were predominantly in the Southeast, so that part was accurate. But, I've grown up all over the place, so no doubt it had a hard time with me.... Roly Poly, Crawdad, Firefly/Lightning Bug, Soda, etc.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Not offended, although not a hillbilly -- fellow Polock speaking. Never heard of Hillbilly Roundy-Rounds, just round-abouts, but then again they only exist in the southern portion of my state. If they were prevalent in the northern part of the state, i am positive we would not be calling them round-abouts, that would just be too easy.

...I tend to drive through them at near speeds of mach 20...it can't be helped, their repetitive nature and placement drives me impatiently nuts, I must admit...

blogs.citypages.com...

"A roundabout is a combination between a three ring circus and the Kentucky derby racetrack."

Note to Jane: The whole point of a roundabout is to keep traffic moving -- not to stop.

And kept moving it shall.
edit on 2/26/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Pretty cool, although when you narrow it down to half of the map then I guess it is pretty easy to guess

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Pretty much spot on. There were a few I figured would be different. I'm one of the few brave and proud people around here that calls it pop. It makes no sense to shorten soda pop to the longer word. Fools.

That was a fun little test! Ty Roo.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I actually corresponded with one of the principles of this study some time ago over the phrase, "Wanna go with?" which is, I believe, peculiar to the Northwest for "Do you want to come along?" as in come along on a shopping trip or errand. My mother (born 1914, grew up in Gunnison, Colorado) would just shudder at this and complain vociferously.

That's how I've always said it, then again I've lived in or around Seattle my whole life. "Do you want to come along with me to the store?" sounds clunky to me. The only other ones I can think of are sunbreak and maybe freeway. It seems like everyone else calls it the highway or interstate.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If you enter "Rotary" for the round street, you are automatically from Boston or Worcester.
Cool.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Domo1

Pretty much spot on. There were a few I figured would be different. I'm one of the few brave and proud people around here that calls it pop. It makes no sense to shorten soda pop to the longer word. Fools.

That was a fun little test! Ty Roo.

Always my pleasure Domo.

BTW - I say soda... I hope we can get over this little hurdle.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

If it were anyone else I'd say no dice scumbag, I will make an exception though. It's a weird pet peeve that I need to get over. I just think soda sounds stupid. Even if meant something else entirely I would think it sounded stupid. I think I just pinpointed why I hate it too. Knew a kid that said it strangely like sodetuh with a weird questioning inflection. "I drank some sodetuh? last night." Ugh. You're better than a therapist! Come to think of it it was more like sthodetuh. Not sure if it was a speech impediment or the kid just said it weird, only speech impediment that's ever bothered me if it was one. It was more like someone who can say ask but says axe instead. I'm becoming a little too passionate and talkative about this.

/end rant

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Domo1

If it were anyone else I'd say no dice scumbag, I will make an exception though. It's a weird pet peeve that I need to get over. I just think soda sounds stupid. Even if meant something else entirely I would think it sounded stupid. I think I just pinpointed why I hate it too. Knew a kid that said it strangely like sodetuh with a weird questioning inflection. "I drank some sodetuh? last night." Ugh. You're better than a therapist! Come to think of it it was more like sthodetuh. Not sure if it was a speech impediment or the kid just said it weird, only speech impediment that's ever bothered me if it was one. It was more like someone who can say ask but says axe instead. I'm becoming a little too passionate and talkative about this.

/end rant

You are getting passionate about it.

I promise that I do not say it with a lisp or add extra letters to it that aren't supposed to be there. I say it with a southern twang... but that can't be helped.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It couldn't place me exactly, it got that I grew up in Nevada but couldn't decide between Reno or Vegas. I was far happier than I should be that I haven't picked up the local dialect, where I currently live was blue on the map. I must sound weird to everyone else.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Thanks for the post and link to the site. And yes, it got me right, although the region was a three-state swath.

On a related note, once while visiting Hawaii I had a conversation with a local who worked parking/security at a tourist spot. We talked for maybe five minuted and at the end he guessed where I was from. He had me dead by rights -- named the precise state rather than a three-state area.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I would be interested in such a site for German people, since we have so many regional differences

Edit: I just did this quizz, even though I am not American. I should be a coming from York, New York or Providence
edit on 27-2-2014 by aLLeKs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join