It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Were You Born? This Site Knows. (USA only)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
No, I am not on a "Thread Bender".

I couldn't resist posting this one. I answered the questions and was left at the end saying "Shut Up"....Whaaaat?

I know it shouldn't be surprising that answering a few questions about how you pronounce certain words and what certain items are called can pinpoint your area of origin, but it surprised me at the accuracy anyway.

www.nytimes.com...

My results were right on the mark. I am curious if the results would still hold up for folks that may have moved elsewhere for a fairly long time.

This can tell where you are from by what you call soda, highways, etc.

I thought it was pretty wild... but then I am easily entertained at times.

edit on 2/24/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2014 by Gemwolf because: Title edit by request

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Apparently "potato bug" gave me up...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

LadySkadi
Apparently "potato bug" gave me up...

"Rolly Polly" here.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Well, here you go then. I'd guess I'm as good a candidate for having moved 'far away' as anyone. It pegged me to within a hundred miles of where I was born for one city (correct state), within two hundred (correct state) for where I grew up, and Jackson Mississippi ... I haven't a clue. LOL

Thanks for sharing. It's been a boring day.

ETA: I didn't see rolly polly or potato bug. One of mine was highway.
edit on 2422014 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Snarl

Well, here you go then. I'd guess I'm as good a candidate for having moved 'far away' as anyone. It pegged me to within a hundred miles of where I was born for one city (correct state), within two hundred (correct state) for where I grew up, and Jackson Mississippi ... I haven't a clue. LOL

Thanks for sharing. It's been a boring day.

I guess that goes to show you that you can leave your hometown, but your hometown doesn't always leave you.

Your welcome. It has indeed been a boring day. That's how I ran across this.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Picked me as being from Michigan. The only thing I really do different from what it said. and it was an option, is I will call a mt. dew a coke. As in, I want a coke...walk in, grab a mt .dew

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It said i was from michigian because I say garage sale...
It missed by about 1500 miles lol.

I learned about the saying the devil beating his wife for when it rains when the sun is shining though. That is good enough for me

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Sremmos80
It said i was from michigian because I say garage sale...
It missed by about 1500 miles lol.

I learned about the saying the devil beating his wife for when it rains when the sun is shining though. That is good enough for me

That's what we say here.
It is a weird saying I guess, if you aren't used to hearing it.

tinner07
Picked me as being from Michigan. The only thing I really do different from what it said. and it was an option, is I will call a mt. dew a coke. As in, I want a coke...walk in, grab a mt .dew

We do either soda or coke here. Mostly soda. It's weird when you think that the sayings and words can be so different from state to state. I suppose I never really thought about it before.

edit on 2/24/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Sremmos80

I picked that up in Georgia. That'll turn a person's head the first time they hear it.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
it was right. said I was from northern Cali. Because the road parallel to the freeway I call a frontage road, and I never heard of a drive thru liquor store.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

mine was way off.....but I spent much time away from home and it looked as if it was confused because the three it gave me aren't even places I have been let alone lived, let alone was born in.

makes me want to try again though

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I did that questionnaire about a month ago. It localized me to the exact part of Southern California that I'm from. So weird.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

mine was way off.....but I spent much time away from home and it looked as if it was confused because the three it gave me aren't even places I have been let alone lived, let alone was born in.

makes me want to try again though

I think maybe we tend to pick up phrases and words from folks on the internet and tv, etc that might skew the results from time to time. Maybe that is what happened in your case? I have never left the city I was born in, so I am just hillbilly all the way I suppose.

brazenalderpadrescorpio

I did that questionnaire about a month ago. It localized me to the exact part of Southern California that I'm from. So weird.

I am glad I am not the only one that found it weird.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

ok....just did it again and tried to rely more on what I used to call things instead of what I do now and it got my exact city.

I feel better

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Says I was born in south Florida. Though I lived there for 4 years, I was not born there. Then again it also scored high for everywhere I have lived and for the area of New England I was born in so....

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Thought I'd take the test for a laugh and see how an Aussie stacks up..............

I must sound like a complete moron to youze.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Says I was born in south Florida. Though I lived there for 4 years, I was not born there. Then again it also scored high for everywhere I have lived and for the area of New England I was born in so....

...That just means you're a multi-faceted dude

My results picked up Madison, Wisconsin(?)and Grand Rapids, Michigan(?) ... sort of interesting since I was born in the Northern Illinois area... and now live pretty up north in WI... So the results kind of landed my dialect somewhere in the middle-ish. But not really. But I may have rigged the test somehow, because I was already familiar with It's intentions with the questions from looking at joke pages on Wisconsinites and having these dialect discussions with my fellow "FIBS"(acoronym Wisconsinites use for Illinois folks) and discussions with friends who live in different states.

edit on 2/24/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Creepy, Down to the City 0.0
Pop gave it away XD

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Your comment made me think that maybe the reason it was so exact with me, is because I've lived in this exact part of SoCal all my life. I think that if you move to a different spot, it might effect a different result.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Sublimecraft
Thought I'd take the test for a laugh and see how an Aussie stacks up..............

I must sound like a complete moron to youze.

You probably made it overheat trying to figure out where you were from!

Does not compute... Does not compute...

FWIW, I think the Aussies sound pretty dang sexy when they talk. Aussies and the Scots.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join