It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Orchids... Stop And Smell The Flowers Once In A While

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Life in the fast lane? We are all guilty of not stopping to "smell the flowers" as the saying goes. We are busy working and taking care of the kids, the laundry, the bills, etc. and we just forget about some of the beauty that surrounds us... even if it is free and breathtaking to look at.

I ran across this first orchid by accident and was awed by it's beauty so much so, that I went on a search. I found some of the more interesting orchids during this search and wanted to share them with you guys to remind us all to take a breather once in a while and be amazed at what occurs in nature more than what occurs on our smartphones.

The Hanging Naked Man Orchid

This pretty orchid has flowers borne in a dense spike which vary from pale to dark pink. They sometimes have darker spots on the lip and the hood has dark pink veins.

The Naked Man Orchid (which on close inspection resembles just that!) can grow up to 50 cm in height and is widespread throughout the Mediterranean often forming dense colonies.

The Bird's Head Orchid

This Pink Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis sp.) is absolutely gorgeous and amazingly cool for the sole reason that it looks like it has a little bird’s head guarding the nectar on the flower.

The Dove Orchid

Similar to the Pink Moth Orchid is this Holy Ghost Orchid (Peristeria elata) which also has a little hidden creature inside it. In this case though, it’s not just the head of a bird but an entire bird!

The Monkey Face Orchid

The Monkey Face Orchid (Dracula simia) These rare orchids only grow in the cloud forests of southeastern Ecuador and Peru at elevations of 1,000-2,000 meters on the side of mountains. In the scientific name, “simia” refers to the monkey face and “Dracula” refers to the two long spurs that hang down, almost like fangs. What makes this flower even cooler (as if it needed to get any more awesome) is that it smells just like a ripe orange when fully blossomed.

The flying Duck Orchid

The Flying Duck Orchid (Caleana major). It’s a small orchid, about 50 cm tall, that grows in eastern and southern Australia. It’s a most remarkable flower

The White Egret Orchid

This elegant orchid is called the White Egret Orchid (Habenaria radiata) because it looks just like a… white egret! The flower looks like the bird is spreading its fluffy white feathers, getting ready to take off.

The Bee Orchid

The Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera). It resembles a female bumblebee visiting a pink flower to attract the attention of male bees. Thinking another one of their kind is there, they try to mate with it. In the process they get covered in the orchid’s pollen and end up spreading it around as they fly and pollinating other flowers as they go. You can find these amazing orchids scattered about England, Ireland, and Wales.

www.thefeaturedcreature.com...
www.first-nature.com...

I apologize if there are too many pictures. They were just all so awesome, I had to post them.
Nature never ceases to amaze me. I hope it doesn't you either.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

damn that's pretty cool...

I like the monkey flower

S&F

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Akragon

damn that's pretty cool...

I like the monkey flower

S&F

I was torn between the Bird's head Orchid and the Dove Orchid.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Those are awesome pics. Makes me think...Spring is coming

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

tinner07
Those are awesome pics. Makes me think...Spring is coming

Indeed it is! I can't wait for it either. All of this snow makes me ready for mowing some grass!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

That Dove orchid is so beautiful and the Egret. They are all unique. I must buy these soon. Didn't even know so many varieties existed!

This thread brightened my day, S & F. Glad I stopped and looked at them at least.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Those are incredibly beautiful, I had no idea!

Thanks for taking the time to compile them

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

This is very cultured of you sir!

If I was a butterfly, I would not want to go to the one that looks like a bird... You'd be sitting there, having a drink, then turn around and have a heart attack!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

DaphneApollo

That Dove orchid is so beautiful and the Egret. They are all unique. I must buy these soon. Didn't even know so many varieties existed!

This thread brightened my day, S & F. Glad I stopped and looked at them at least.

I wouldn't mind having a few orchids myself... but I would only kill them.
There are tons of them to be had. I have never seen an ugly one either. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

beansidhe

Those are incredibly beautiful, I had no idea!

Thanks for taking the time to compile them

You are welcome!

iRoyalty

This is very cultured of you sir!

If I was a butterfly, I would not want to go to the one that looks like a bird... You'd be sitting there, having a drink, then turn around and have a heart attack!

Ma'am... but that is ok.

I bet there are insects that do not go near some of these for that very reason!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Funny I said damn that's pretty cool when I got to the end and saw your post.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

Ma'am... but that is ok.

I bet there are insects that do not go near some of these for that very reason!

My bad! Swing and a miss on the assumption, could have gone either way lol

Perhaps that is the purpose? Only certain insects allowed!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

iRoyalty could have gone either way lol

That's what she said.... GAHH!! I couldn't resist.
I did try though.

top topics

join