It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conquistadors encounters with Giants.. Worth you time to read if you like giants ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

When we attempted to cross the large lake, we came under heavy
attack from many giant Indians concealed behind trees. Some of our men were wounded in this conflict for which the good armor they wore did not avail. The Indians we had so far seen are all archers. They go naked, are large of body, and appear at a distance like giants. They are of admirable proportions, very spare and of great activity and strength. The bows they use are as thick as the arm, of eleven or twelve palms in length, which they discharge at two hundred paces with so great precision that they miss nothing.

Something we should consider is the stature of the Conquistadors which I would be surprised if they were taller than 5'3"

Seeing him we paused, dumb with amazement. For, though but a youth...he towered on high. A great-limbed giant: heads of tallest men reached only to his breast.

So IMO anyone 6'2" or a bit more would have seemed to be a giant.

Tuscaloosa's village, and discovered that the chief was a giant ten times mightier than his son and turned out to be the tallest and most handsomely shaped Indian they saw during all their travels

Big man no doubt !

Alarcón and his men came upon a settlement of an estimated two hundred giant warriors. These giants, amazed by foreign intruders on the riverbanks, were ready to attack. But Alarcón defused the situation by making peace and offering gifts, which eventually won them over. These giants were later categorized with the prevailing tribes of the area as being the Cocopa Indians. A thousand more members of this giant tribe were discovered and reported farther upstream.

xavianthaze.blogspot.com...

Anyway I found this article very interesting: Anyone who has even briefly looked at history knows the Conquistadors were not someone who today we would look up to, not with the amount of carnage and mayhem they brought upon the native Americans.. Were there Giants or just a people who grew to over 6 feet and intimidated the short Conquistadors (my opinion)... Unfortunately time will probably not tell the rest of the story on this tale..... But what a story Huh?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The sad reality is that they got wiped out by diseases which explains why they don't exist to do this day.

In fact when the English arrived on North America they found abandoned Native villages hinting that the inhabitants were wiped out.
edit on 23-2-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Something to always consider in reviewing these word-of-mouth accounts by many explorers before we had the convenience, or inconvenience of modern photography (perspective depending) is their penchant for embroidery, at least to some extent.

We have to remember that not only were these conquests for new land, but, this was Business, and those involved in the Business of the day needed stories to go with the hard goods and resources brought back to the old world to shore up future expeditions, and drive interest in greater financial backing and investment which could in turn return not only more profits, but, stories as well.

Giants, well, they're traditional fare in all the great classical stories of adventure that all the classically educated financiers and interested parties in these ventures would have been familiar with. Stories of giants, at least in some part were somewhat expected.
Thus, stories of giants are promotional material.

Did they really exist? Perhaps, but, to what extent? What was the norm?
What does the archaeology tell us?

edit on 2/23/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

How come u think the invaders were only 5'3?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tucket

The average height depend's on there diet as much as there genetic's but some spaniard's even then had reached well over six foot, an estimate from 1904 claimed the average height of a spaniard to be 5'4".
Not meaning to go off topic but since we are talking about Exceptional humans look at this little story one the right of this old newspaper page, news.google.com...,320765
Now it no longer work's on win 7 but I have an old win 95 cd called "Wierd" which has photograph's taken in the late 1800's and information on that village so I can attest it is a genuine story, they were fully formed and working fingers.
Now back to the south american giant's,
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...
Also the Native American people of North America were before being nearly wiped out (as indeed most tribes actually were) recorded as larger and stronger than the european settlers, the Viking's whom had tried to colonize New Foundland or Vinland (though that was probably further south) had encountered the Screaling's though it is not recorded they likely were defeated by the native tribesmen whom where physically a match for them, now Viking's were big men and that is not a phalacy.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Tucket
reply to post by 727Sky

How come u think the invaders were only 5'3?

Old sailing ships and head clearance; costumes in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and other places, people seemed to be very small. I have read some Europeans during the 15th century had an average height of 5'7" but most men shrank during the 16th through the 18th centuries due to bad diets. Vikings seemed to be a tall stocky lot in some cases. Hard to find real numbers so I just go with clothes and ships/

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Quetchua language and finnish have a lot similarities .. same words meaning same things and same dialect. This has puzzled scientists for a long time.
similarities chapter 2

In finnish mythology there is Sampo (sammas ) magical artifact which brought fortune to its holder, some say sampo was not a machine it was a ship. Sampo dissapeared to the sea. Vikings talked about Giants in the east when they were talking about finns.

just something to explore.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

You mean if a Finnish speaking person and a Quechua speaking person were to meet they would understand each other?

Does it mean there is an ancient advanced civilization with a shared language long ago?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
the skeletons of giants have been found all over the world but then quickly covered up france has some and 12 foot plus is not uncommon biggest i read was 36 foot plus

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Interesting thread, thanks.

I'd like to offer you some information that you could find related to the topic you are discussing, from a thread I made time ago :

Nephilim in Peru

From that thread :

"When these great men or giants had thus made their settlement and dug these wells or cisterns, they destroyed and ate all the supplies they could find in the neighborhood. It is said that one of them ate more than fifty of the natives of the land; and as the supply of food was not sufficient for them to maintain themselves, they caught much fish with nets and gear that they had.

I hope you have a chance to read it,

Good job

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

dollukka
Quetchua language and finnish have a lot similarities .. same words meaning same things and same dialect. This has puzzled scientists for a long time.
similarities chapter 2

In finnish mythology there is Sampo (sammas ) magical artifact which brought fortune to its holder, some say sampo was not a machine it was a ship. Sampo dissapeared to the sea. Vikings talked about Giants in the east when they were talking about finns.

just something to explore.

Similarities between Runa Simi (Quechua) and many other languages like japanese or arabic had been found. Not only words with comparable phonetics, but also with other characteristics.

I believe the differences between the original sources and Runa Simi are an expectable distorsion caused by the time the original language took to arrive to the andean area and also to the variation in the pronunciation adopted by locals that ended accepted as official version.

Even today, if you travel around Peru and Bolivia you'll find Quechua has diferences according to the area. This is understandable if you consider there wasn't a written version of Quechua, there is only an adaptation to the Spanish language based in the sound of the words.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

As mentioned before it puzzles scientist for example in a study "languages in Americas" which was published by Linguistic Society of America says

For example, comparisons of Finnish with Cakchiquel (Mayan) and Quechua, and with proposed Proto-Mayan and Proto-Zoquean forms (Campbell 1973, Campbell & Kaufman 1981, 1983) show a much higher level of similarity and matching than that permitted by chance in Bender's claims.

There is similarities in grammar and a way sentences are created also a lot of phonetic ones.
Finnish also share similarities with japanese language specially with phonetics.

What i am saying is that what we know now about history is that we might know nothing at all. The problem with past researches has been the idea that ancient people were an idiots and long distances are not possible.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Old sailing ships and head clearance; costumes in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and other places, people seemed to be very small. I have read some Europeans during the 15th century had an average height of 5'7" but most men shrank during the 16th through the 18th centuries due to bad diets. Vikings seemed to be a tall stocky lot in some cases. Hard to find real numbers so I just go with clothes and ships

Regarding averages in Europe in that era, even the Vikings had only an average height of about 5'-6" to 5'-7" (167cm to 170cm) - based on skeletal remains. The rest of Europe was indeed shorter, as you said.

In North America there have been a number of east coast skeletal remains of native indians of over 6', some even approaching 7' in height. These were not averages though.

To conquistadors, they must have seemed huge - tall, robust and healthy. No wonder they were awed.
edit on 24-2-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

dollukka
reply to post by Trueman

As mentioned before it puzzles scientist for example in a study "languages in Americas" which was published by Linguistic Society of America says

For example, comparisons of Finnish with Cakchiquel (Mayan) and Quechua, and with proposed Proto-Mayan and Proto-Zoquean forms (Campbell 1973, Campbell & Kaufman 1981, 1983) show a much higher level of similarity and matching than that permitted by chance in Bender's claims.

There is similarities in grammar and a way sentences are created also a lot of phonetic ones.
Finnish also share similarities with japanese language specially with phonetics.

What i am saying is that what we know now about history is that we might know nothing at all. The problem with past researches has been the idea that ancient people were an idiots and long distances are not possible.

I agree with you, also showed my interest in Quechua and other andean languages in other threads. There is so much about this in particular. The Secret Language of The Incas

"That the Incas had another particular language spoken among them which did not understand the other Indians was lawful or learn them as divine language,"

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Wow im gonna read that.. what instantly strike at me is "PUQUINA" or "PUKINA" in profinnish Pukina means talking. For example sentence " what are you talking about ? " is very commonly used even today in finnish as " mitä pukiset ? "
Thanks for the link !
edit on 24-2-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Just for a little perspective here is a pic of Earl Boykins 5'3" next to Shaq 7'1"...

I'd think if I was a conquistador and I ran into a couple of dudes of this stature it would have left an impression

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Blackmarketeer
reply to post by 727Sky

Old sailing ships and head clearance; costumes in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and other places, people seemed to be very small. I have read some Europeans during the 15th century had an average height of 5'7" but most men shrank during the 16th through the 18th centuries due to bad diets. Vikings seemed to be a tall stocky lot in some cases. Hard to find real numbers so I just go with clothes and ships

Regarding averages in Europe in that era, even the Vikings had only an average height of about 5'-6" to 5'-7" (167cm to 170cm) - based on skeletal remains. The rest of Europe was indeed shorter, as you said.

In North America there have been a number of east coast skeletal remains of native indians of over 6', some even approaching 7' in height. These were not averages though.

To conquistadors, they must have seemed huge - tall, robust and healthy. No wonder they were awed.
edit on 24-2-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

I don't recall any information that make me think the Spaniards were taller than an average european of that time. What I'm convinced is about the existence of andean people of greater proportions in ancient times. Some of them survived and were reported eventually in time. Few chronicles may come to my mind.

"El Gigante de Paruro"

This man was Juan De La Cruz Sihuana, born around 1875 in Cusco. Height 2.10 m and weight of 136 kg in 1925. The photo belongs to a famous photographed called Martin Chambi. So no chances for a photoshop.

Believe me or not, back in the 90's I personally saw a man just like him. He was from Bolivia, with modern clothes in a restaurant in Southern Peru. We never talked but he gently smiled when he noticed my amazed face.

edit on 24-2-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

dollukka
reply to post by Trueman

Wow im gonna read that.. what instantly strike at me is "PUQUINA" or "PUKINA" in profinnish Pukina means talking. For example sentence " what are you talking about ? " is very commonly used even today in finnish as " mitä pukiset ? "
Thanks for the link !
edit on 24-2-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

Your conclusions will be awaited.

edit on 24-2-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

What a fascinating article,thank you-I have a place in my heart for all things Aztec,and to think of some of the men of General Cortez being hunted by giants makes me smile(Am I sick?).

Whether an exagerration,or trick of the mind(maybe Aztecs fire thin tiny narcotic darts at the spaniards-hardly noticed if done where mosquitoes are biting,creating a hallucination of giants),what a war move by the Aztecs,they knew their stuff,and I am sad they were destroyed.
They were not the cannibal bloodthirsty lot that they are often misrepresented as today.
Mexico would be better off with them today maybe.
Ah,my white ancestors have a lot to answer for.I can't say I am proud of what they have done.

Good thread 727Sky

edit on 24/2/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: extra letters added

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The giants, Nephalim, are found around the world. It is one of those things we are not told about. You have to ask why would proof of the Giants be such a threat to mainstream science. When was the last time you heard a scientist say he was wrong about anything lol. Like saying Columbus discovered America, no he didn't. He never stepped foot here, nor was he even near the first.

The earth has not been round all that long in perspective lol... Many things they don't care about being truthful and up front about. The giants existed but you have to look hard to find scientists brave enough to say it. Where did the materials, the copper that fueled the bronze age come from. It came from here and Canada, most of it. But that too is not recorded in your history books.

Just like the greatest theft and genocide in the world is barely a footnote. The theft of the land that is the united states and whole cultures becoming extinct. The true numbers of which will never be known. For they were not only raped, murdered, women babies, untold numbers completely disappear due to disease they had no immunity to.

No history it seems is in the eyes of the teller, the victor. To him goes the spoils. Giants, would have been something to see don't you think lol.

The Bot

top topics

<<   2 >>

join