It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Boy Who Answered Door with a wii controller.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
politicalblindspot.com...

The door bell rings, the boy asks who's there? no answer. opens to check and there's a cop there gun drawn and shoots and kills the boy.

Not sure we need to rehash the whole "trigger happy cop thing" but since its news and not been posted, *sigh* here is another one folks!

edit on 23-2-2014 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Cops are not to be dealt with. Avoid at all costs and approach with caution. They have been given the OK to kill everyone.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Preface: This post sort of took a life of its own. I understand there are law-abiding, and genuine officers. There are officers who fear for their safety. There are officers who serve and protect. I understand officers are human and imperfect, and every action they take is magnified by the public forum. Obviously this post does not reflect the men and women who sacrifice their time, safety, and sometimes sanity to assist the public in a magnanimous and generous way.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wow. I didn't want to believe this at all and thought perhaps there was some sort of misunderstanding but it appears it is exactly what it is. I understand police need to protect themselves, I can even understand how maybe one may momentarily mistake a Wii controller for a firearm. The response, however, is completely batty. There is absolutely no rationale for this.

What a shameful state we're in now!

Kids get suspended from school for pointing in a 'gun-like fashion' then gunned down at home for holding a Wii? Yes, this guy was 17 (or 13 depending on which version of the story you read) but I want to know, are they now training/teaching police that children are a huge threat? There's a child in Santa Rosa who was shot for carrying a water gun in the recent past. How many police officers are actually killed by children? This is a genuine question. Because I can't imagine it's that high.

Why I say this is that the statistics I read from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said there are currently over 900,000 officers employed at this moment and gives a statistic of 1,539 killed in the line of duty in the last decade. That's 154 or so a year. Not knowing the number of officers there has been in total over the last 10 years, we will use the 900,000, and 154 numbers for 2013. That means... 0.017% of the police force was killed in the line of duty. Yet this doesn't even accurately represent murders. According to the FBI, more police were killed in traffic accidents than by firearms, stabbings, or other means. The actual number is 54 that were murdered in the line of duty last year by their statistics. It puts our fatality rate somewhere near: 0.0071%. Putting that in perspective your chance of being struck by lightning? 0.016%. (1/6250 chance). Am I making a calculating error somewhere?

Honestly, how fearful should these officers be of children? Because now I'm fearful of them shooting my kids for playing a video game and answering the door, or playing with nerf guns, or making a 'gun-like' gesture with their fingers. I don't know what I would do if one of my children, playing a video game, answered the door to get shot.
edit on 2 23 14 by KaDeCo because: Grammarly

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Not sure how true the story is, but if is fact.... Hope that POS excuse of a cop gets life in prison.

No one wants a Farva protecting their town.

Killing a young man for zero reason is total crap!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Edit : a person of 17 years isn't a boy in GA. He was a man.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

From the article in your link:

Christopher asked: “Who is it?” but received no response from officer Gatny, who was on the other side of the door.

When he opened the door, officer Gatny already had her gun drawn and pointed at him, according to Roupe’s aunt.

The officer, who later claimed that the youth “had a handgun,” wasted no time, firing and killing Christopher as soon as the door opened.

Christopher’s aunt made it clear that there was no warning and no instruction to drop the Nintendo controller.

Both responding officers are on “paid administrative leave” as the investigation into their actions continues.

If that's actually how it went down, it certainly raises a lot of questions. Why did she not identify herself when the kid asked who was there? Why was her gun drawn when the door opened? The article says she was there "about a probation issue that had nothing to do with Christopher," which really could be any number of things. But would any of those be likely to require her to have a weapon in her hand while standing at the door after knocking, and not identifying herself? And why, when the door opened, with a gun in the cop's hand, and she saw a "wii-mote" did she not say anything about the item, to drop it, etc, before opening fire?

It all just seems really strange. And from the way I'm reading it here, she should probably be fired, if not face criminal charges. I'm sick of this crap where the cops don't have to announce themselves, and then kill someone, because the suspect/victim didn't know they were dealing with the police-- who are, it seems, often paranoid about their own safety to the point of extreme trigger-happiness.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

After the beating death of a Moore, Oklahoma man recently at the Warren theater, I was talking with some outraged folks. We all agreed that this sort of things needs nipping in the bud here in Oklahoma. One of the folks mentioned making an ap that would alert everyone on a call list of volunteers. If anyone sees something like the Moore, Oklahoma incident going on, send out a call to everyone on the list and have a citizens show of force, video cameras, news crews, etc.
Sounds like a great idea to me and I can't wait to be added to the list. I'm really sick of hearing daily about cops gone wild.
We definitely need to look into what sort of training cops are being given these days that they respond to an open door and wii controller with lethal force.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

whitewave
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

We definitely need to look into what sort of training cops are being given these days that they respond to an open door and wii controller with lethal force.

This.

Exactly.

What sort of training is involved for this? I'm going to give officers the benefit of the doubt here and confirm that the majority of them are not twisted individuals. I believe a majority of our police force has good intentions and there are some bad apples that ruin the bunch. The story I read had the officer that shot the boy (young man) going outside, holding her head, sobbing. That is not the act of a vicious killer. Benefit of the doubt given, what sort of regimen are placing so many officers on this serious of an edge?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Genius.

Lets crowdsource it and get on it.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I'd say we call this LEO department and ask!

Most counties in GA req previously trained officers. City cops usually get training city funded.

I'd bet this person wasn't stable enough to be a cop. But current 'people need exceptions' training is the flaw!

Seen this mentality first hand in the military. We cannot coddle everynody who wants to serve! Some people cannot and shouldn't meet standards! This is the outcome!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Thread on this already in progress, just FYI

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

America needs to seriously reconsider it's gun laws, I am seeing way too many trigger happy folks killing innocent people.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

lonewolf2
reply to post by Biigs

America needs to seriously reconsider it's gun laws, I am seeing way too many trigger happy folks killing innocent people.

Since the trigger happy folks killing innocent people tend to be LEO's, I'd say the only gun law to reconsider is open carry. If everyone has a piece strapped to their hip bullies will learn to be more polite and exercise some self-control.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Nah just omit guns from society.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

KaDeCo
Preface: This post sort of took a life of its own. I understand there are law-abiding, and genuine officers. There are officers who fear for their safety. There are officers who serve and protect. I understand officers are human and imperfect, and every action they take is magnified by the public forum. Obviously this post does not reflect the men and women who sacrifice their time, safety, and sometimes sanity to assist the public in a magnanimous and generous way.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wow. I didn't want to believe this at all and thought perhaps there was some sort of misunderstanding but it appears it is exactly what it is. I understand police need to protect themselves, I can even understand how maybe one may momentarily mistake a Wii controller for a firearm. The response, however, is completely batty. There is absolutely no rationale for this.

What a shameful state we're in now!

Kids get suspended from school for pointing in a 'gun-like fashion' then gunned down at home for holding a Wii? Yes, this guy was 17 (or 13 depending on which version of the story you read) but I want to know, are they now training/teaching police that children are a huge threat? There's a child in Santa Rosa who was shot for carrying a water gun in the recent past. How many police officers are actually killed by children? This is a genuine question. Because I can't imagine it's that high.

Why I say this is that the statistics I read from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said there are currently over 900,000 officers employed at this moment and gives a statistic of 1,539 killed in the line of duty in the last decade. That's 154 or so a year. Not knowing the number of officers there has been in total over the last 10 years, we will use the 900,000, and 154 numbers for 2013. That means... 0.017% of the police force was killed in the line of duty. Yet this doesn't even accurately represent murders. According to the FBI, more police were killed in traffic accidents than by firearms, stabbings, or other means. The actual number is 54 that were murdered in the line of duty last year by their statistics. It puts our fatality rate somewhere near: 0.0071%. Putting that in perspective your chance of being struck by lightning? 0.016%. (1/6250 chance). Am I making a calculating error somewhere?

Honestly, how fearful should these officers be of children? Because now I'm fearful of them shooting my kids for playing a video game and answering the door, or playing with nerf guns, or making a 'gun-like' gesture with their fingers. I don't know what I would do if one of my children, playing a video game, answered the door to get shot.
edit on 2 23 14 by KaDeCo because: Grammarly

Great post very informative, I've not checked your statistics but they seem about right based on your numbers. Its worth while putting these events in perspective and see how much police overreact to danger, putting the public they're are supposedly sworn to protect in harms way simply by their presence.
edit on 24-2-2014 by spacedog1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Since anything in your hand could be a gun, the safest thing to do is cut everyone's hands off...

Hmmmmm

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
pics ??

and full conerner's report ??

or .. it didn't happen .. think about it, why would someone produce this BS ?? why??

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Komodo
pics ??

and full conerner's report ??

or .. it didn't happen .. think about it, why would someone produce this BS ?? why??

There is already a link to a CBS Atlanta report, interviews with eyewitnesses, testimony from the officer....what are you trying to say?

It appears there is already substantial proof offered in the thread that it happened. Can you offer anything substantial to dispute that?

troll much?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Hmm did you read the OP? or you could just use your fingers and Google it.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

tigertatzen
reply to post by Biigs

Thread on this already in progress, just FYI

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Indeed it is...

Thread closed...

top topics

join