It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sign the Bernardo Movie Petition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I just got this in my email from my friend back home I thought it would be necessary to send this along, since I feel this too is discraceful and tasteless.
read below...

I'm writing this letter as a young aspiring filmmaker and a concerned Canadian. I totally understand the struggle of my fellow tradesmen when it comes to finding a great original idea. The whole point, from a business aspect, is to come up with a script that will sell. From an artistic standpoint, you want something that will intrigue the audience as well. I have to say though, in the following case, I'm not torn in the least as to what the right thing to do is. I just heard today that there is a film being made about the Bernardo murders. When I heard this, I was shocked to say the least. The idea of making a film about something so real, so recent and so close to home, just didn't seem right to me. I feel that its exploitation at it's lowest and it sickens me to think that something so horrible could be commercialized. When I heard that Jason Priestly was hoping to land the role of Bernardo, it really struck a nerve. What has happened to this country and our sense of decency for which we are known worldwide? It seems that it's now taking a backseat to capitalism, in which case I dread to think where we're heading. The very idea demeans what we as a country are in the eyes of the world and in our own sense of national identity this is not what we are about. I haven't spoken to anyone, since word came out about this movie, who doesn't share my sentiments. Everyone seems to think that sensationalizing such a disgusting crime, that happened in our own country, is a terrible thing to do. I would never support such an endeavor, and I ask now for your support in mine. We as Canadians, and concerned citizens, should speak out against this kind of exploitation and support the families of the victims in t heir attempt to stop this film from being made. Please give your show of support and lets send a message to these producers that this is a bad idea. Sign this boycott of their film, and if you're the 100th person to sign it, please send it back to me so I can amalgamate our efforts.

Let's be decent- let's be Canadian.

Daniel J. Potyok mailto: [email protected]

(COPY the entire email and PASTE into a new mail message)

NOTE: The parents of the two teenage girls that were victims of sexual assault and murdered have been trying to prevent this film from being made. Let's see what protest we can make to support them in their efforts. Let's keep this petition moving right along quickly.

For more information; www.snopes.com...

1. Devon Grey - Welland Ontario
2. Rebecca Satchell-St. Catharines, Ont.
3. Daniel Mercier-St.Catharines,Ont
4. Deanna Nicholls - St. Catharines, Ontario
5. Tavis Nicholls - St. Catharines, Ontario
6. Betty Lane - Niagara Falls, ON
7. J.Bye - St.Catharines, Ont.
8. Charlie Battel-St.Catharines,ON
9. N. Savoy, Thorold, On.
10. Lesley Linton, Toronto, ON.
11. Griffiths-Thorold,On.
12. Dorothy & Alan Braid St Catharines ON,
13. Bill & Doreen Hanna St.Catharines,On.
14. Pat Steinmetz, St.Catharines, ON.
15. Bob Steinmetz, St.Catharines,On
16. Tracy D'Antonio North Bay, On
17. Marg Curran Niagara Falls, On
18. Bill Curran Niagara Falls, On
19. Ralph and Judy D'Antonio, St. Catharines, On.
20. Melissa&Joe Roma,NiagaraFalls,Ont.
21. Christie Salmon, St. Catharines, ON.
22. S. Marandola, St. Catharines, ON
23. Leigh Pritchard and Ray Shotter, St. Catharines, ON
24. Clara Suba, St. Catharines, ON
25. Katharine Lorence, St. Catharines, ON
26. Rachel Miller, St. Catharines, ON
27. Krysty Webb, St. Catharines, ON
28. Aleks Couturier, St. Catharines, ON
29. Todd Greenhalgh,St.Catharines,ON
30. Greg Greenhalgh, St.Catharines,ON
31. Michelle Hay, St.Catharines, ON
32. Kelly Baker, St. Catharines, ON
33. Erin Vint, St. Catharines, ON
34. Marcy Hadgraft, St. Catharines ON
35. Josh Saunders, St. Catharines, ON
36. Sarah Barnes, St. Catharines, ON
37. Ashley Berry, St.Catharines, ON
38. Karen Wiinholt,St.Catharines,ON
39. Kelly Collins,St.Catharines,ON
40. Rob Tyndall, St. Catharines, ON
41. Lauren Kennedy, St. Catharines ON
42. Wendy Middleton, St. Catharines, ON
43. Jody Dawson, Niagara Falls, ON
44. Rob Gilmour, Grimsby, ON
45. Ashley Gibson, Windsor/ Fort Erie, ON
46. Kelly Fawcett, Windsor, ON
47. Shari Oberscheider, Crystal Beach, Ontario
48. Amy Hayes, St. Catharines,ON
49. Ruth Zuvic, Port Colborne, ON
50. Kerri Cyr, St. Catharines.ON
51. Will McPherson, Vineland, Ont.
52. L Wainwright, St. Catharines, ON
53. Carole Boucock, St. Catharines, ON
54. Tari and Steve Gibson, Thorold, ON
55. Shonna Stefurak, St, Catharines, ON
56. Tim Daly, St. Catharines, ON
57. Joy Stewart-Riffle, St. Catharines, ON
58. Pat Meggison, Charlottetown. P.E.I
59. Francine & Rod Estabrooks. St. Catharines, ON
60. Stephanie Thibault, St.Catharines, ONT
61. Sarah J Bird, St.Catharines, On

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
As horrific as the killings were, as depraved as Bernardo and Homolka are, as bereaved as the families are, this is NOT an excuse to tromp on freedom of speech. If people wish to boycott the movie they have every right to, however to deny someone else the right to make a movie about a grisly crime commited over a decade ago out of sensitivity to the families is wrong.

Insensitivity and poor taste are not crimes. I myself won't watch the movie.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Insensitivity and poor taste are not crimes. I myself won't watch the movie.

Your right, they are not crimes... It's an ethical matter....

This is out of respect to those girls who were brutally murdered and to their families, hence the petition.

Sure the film maker has the "right" to recreate the time line and chain of events to relive such atrocities, but people have the right to try and shut em down and boycott to let them know it's ethically unacceptable.

I too wouldn't watch the movie, I lived in the same city where Kristen French lived and went to the same school she went to, my cousin went to school with her.

It's vile... And would deeply disturb me for the rest of my life. They burned the video's he made so they would never get out, thats how brutal and heart wrenching they were... The judge cried, the jury cried, they had to take many breaks because they were just so masochistic...

Who would want to relive something so heinous?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

It's vile... And would deeply disturb me for the rest of my life. They burned the video's he made so they would never get out, thats how brutal and heart wrenching they were... The judge cried, the jury cried, they had to take many breaks because they were just so masochistic...

Who would want to relive something so heinous?

People always forget. The pain, the sadness, the sorrow. People forget where they were. People forget faces and facts, until last names are the only thing they can grasp onto. This was a horrific crime, even bv American standards. This was the sort of thing that happens in War Zones, not in Canada.

Most likely though, the film won't be made. The Canadian government funds films, and they've denied Peter Simpson any money to make it. There is simply not enough commercial interest for any American studio to get involved. And Simpson isn't exactly Jerry Bruckheimer, so the chances of securing foriegn financing is slim at best. While his production of REGENERATION was serious and very respectful of the subject matter, Simpson was also responsible for the PROM NIGHT films.

I think it's a shame that it won't be made. Film lasts forever. People will forget Bernardo's victims within two generations.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can somebody please explain the bernado murders to me? pardon my ignorance...... but i find it to be bliss.

I have never heard of this before, but its just struck a memory stick in my brain. I remember hearing of a movie being made of the Jamie Bulger murder if you are in USA i will explain.

A small child from my home town was abducted in a shopping centre by two boys aged 8 AND 10 i think. upon getting him to some rail road (2 blocks from my house nearly) they tortured him ........

I WILL WRITE IT HERE WHAT THEY DID...... SCROLL IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW.....

They placed batteris in his anus, threw bricks at him, made him eat glass, peeled his toenails and finger nails off then left him on the railroad to die...

But somebody please explain this and yes i will sign it

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yes can someone shed light on the Bernado killings?

Just because the crimes may have been grotesque, I do not know, thats no reason to prevent someone from making a movie on them. If they were to glorify a murder then yes that would be wrong and I would boycott it, but in this case from what I get here they just want to make a movie on it.

If you want to ban movies that touch on potenially un-ethical subjects, then we would have to get rid of a lot of movies. Holocaust movies would have to go, oversexed comedies would have to go, movies with extreme violence would have to go. Just because a movie is unethical in the eyes of some people does'nt mean it can be banned. They have a right to make unethical movies whatever they may be. I think gangsta rap is morally wrong but I don't listen to it. If you don't want to see it don't view it. I won't be seeing Bernado.

Then if we start to prevent un-ethical movies from being made then we'd have to move onto books, like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas a book that basicly glorifies drug use. I will read it since I have taken into reading banned and or censored books.

Maybe the movie needs to be made to remind people of the heinous act of an evil man.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

[edit on 24-11-2004 by deevee]

Karla and Paul were depraved killers who kidnapped and murdered 2 schoolgirls to keep as sex slaves. They videotaped the horrific abuse they inflicted on these innocents and have become synonymous with evil in Canada. The full story can be found here www.crimelibrary.com...

[edit on 24-11-2004 by deevee]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Being that you are a filmmaker, I am surprised that you would advocate this kind of response. As you are aware, there are always dissenting opinions. If art is only "allowed" to be made based on what the public deems to be correct, then many great works would never have been created. I'm not saying that this film will break down any barriers, but it is a bad precedent to start letting public opinion decide what an artist can or can't create. One day, you might be compelled to create a controversial film and find that because society allowed art to be suppressed, your freedoms are being stepped on.

I personally find things that I see in films objectionable--and I am sure that I am not the only one. But to shut down a film production because of my personal beliefs is ludicrous. Let the filmmaker express himself. A better response is to not see the film.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thank you Deev.

While this was a horrifc act, preventing a movie amde aobut it won't stop or help anyone or anything. It is better to boycott it and make it lose money in the box office than to restrict the director's right to make it anway.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Well maybe they would still make it, this doesn't mean everybody doesnt want to watch it. Even though it is a sick sick story. pardon me mods the f****** perverted B*******

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This is an interesting story. I remember seeing some HBO special with these two on it. I would like to see this movei. Sorry... I like movies about crazy people. I may be sick, but people interest me. Especially people on the fringe like these two, just my opinion. Honestly though, good luck on your mission. Fight for what you believe in. It is just as much free speech to argue against making this film as it is to make this film. You are not in the wrong at all.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Hmmm...would not considering watching it its a waste of time. There enuf stuff goin on in the world to make u worry about. But, i wouldnt care either way whether the movie was made, those 2 ppl made a choice to do something that overrode the freedom of other ppl and eventually killed em.
A lot of that happens in the world nowadays so this one is nothing special.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I had never heard of these before, but didn't these murders occur over a decade ago? How long should one wait to treat these facts in a film? Here's a guy who got into trouble for writing a couple of books.

www.ctv.ca...

There's already been a film about the Peterson case, which is really crass.

Someone give three good reasons either of these individual should be using precious resources.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If a they want to make a movie about it they have every right to do so, If you offended by the movie or dont think its right simply dont go to see it,
I myself would not watch it.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
While I can see why the movie would cause problems for the victims families, there is no good reason for the film not to made. The victims families have the choice of not watching it, just as the films creators should have the choice of whether to make it or n ot.
Movies have been made based on real life happenings for a long time.. and I'm sure the families involved also struggled; but succeeding in stopping the movie will not take away what Bernardo and Homolka did.

Perhaps they should be more worried about homolka being released next year.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That's the latest in long line of idiotic things I've seen lately. Would you try and stop an artist from making a painting of say a recent train crash? Would you stop an artist from writing a book or poem about a recent murder?

Do you want to censor art? Because despite commercial interest and really bad movies film is an art form, which people seem to forget.

As for the artistic merit of this movie and as to whether it'd be any good I don't know ( from hearing Jason Priestly might be in it I imagine not
), but I'll NEVER stand in the way of someone making art, whether I think it's good or not.

If you don't like the subject or the artist, don't view the damn thing simple as, but if you want to start your own version of a book burning then I feel truly sad for the way things are going.

I feel for the families loss I really do, but I will not be signing this dumb petition.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joe Manco
That's the latest in long line of idiotic things I've seen lately. Would you try and stop an artist from making a painting of say a recent train crash? Would you stop an artist from writing a book or poem about a recent murder?

Do you want to censor art? Because despite commercial interest and really bad movies film is an art form, which people seem to forget.

There is a huge difference between a train wreck painting, and a movie about a girl's finger nails being pulled off one by one, globs of hair being pulled out, limbs being severed, being defiled in every way imaginable...

I'm sorry I didn't know you viewed sadomasochism as art....
How idiotic of me to want to post a petition to stop the formation of "artwork"...

[edit on 29-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
There is a huge difference between a train wreck painting, and a movie about a girl's finger nails being pulled off one by one, globs of hair being pulled out, limbs being severed, being defiled in every way imaginable...

Well hyperthetically what about the little girl on the train who had a metal object pierce her eye, munch out her intestines and crushed her legs beyond all use? Oh that's ok, because you don't see it right?

It makes me laugh that you know so much about a movie that hasn't even been made yet. You have NO idea how these scenes will artistically handled at all, yet you assume it's going to be a gore fest.

The artist might cut away from all the violence (imagination is much more effective after all, just see SE7EN), in fact they may not show any violence at all. They may choose to just suggest it and then show the effects it has on the family e.t.c. You have no idea as to the artists intent (which may not be good, I don't know) yet you'll destroy them from making art before you've even seen the result.

It's people like you that tried to get movies such as A Clockwork Orange, Natural Born Killers, The Last Tango in Paris e.t.c. (the list is endless) banned, films that are very important and still make major statements about all scopes of human society, but people jumped on the bandwagon of "It's filthy, it's morally disgusting" just because the artists pulled no punches in showing the truth, or were so good at their jobs they made you THINK that you saw something that you actually didn't.

Now unfortunately alot of crap gets out, but is it worth it just so we can get these masterpieces from true artists that'll live with us for the rest of our lives? Absolutely goddam right it is.

Don't be silly to judge something that hasn't even been made yet, wait until you see it or better yet, if you're offended don't see it at all.

I'm sorry I didn't know you viewed sadomasochism as art....

Yeah I suppose I am into sadomasochism, I guess that's why I date women.

How idiotic of me to want to post a petition to stop the formation of "artwork"...

It's ok you're forgiven, we all make mistakes.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Joe Manco]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
this movie is in poor judgement and should be band in canada.only perverts will go see this movie.perverts who made this movie have nothing better to do.band the distributor and the actors also to make the statement.thats 70s show actor might have acting problems in the furture for being in this movie. i dont think i would want to be part of this type of movie.anyways you have my support and others in canada.by the way someone who worked for the cia should not be involded producing movies like this.shame on you.so say no people to child abuse and crimes against them including making movies that do not protect there infomation.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I agree with Joe Manco.
If it does not show the act but shows the effect on the family and the court proceedings, than its should be considered able to be made, also how is this perverted, sick, horrible and violent, yeah it is, but I do not see how it is perverted.

[edit on 11/30/2004 by iori_komei]

new topics

top topics

join