It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dan Rather Stepping Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
CBC news has announced that Dan Rather, the anchor for the CBS evening news will step down in March. Rather who has held the position for 24 years has come under fire for the Memo Gate debacle during the presidential election. The network did say that Rather would continue to be a correspondent to 60 Minutes.

www.cbsnews.com

Dan Rather announced Tuesday that he will step down as anchor and managing editor of the CBS Evening News in March, 24 years after his first broadcast in that position.

Rather will continue to work full-time at CBS News as a correspondent for both editions of 60 Minutes, as well as on other assignments for the news division.

"I have been lucky and blessed over these years to have what is, to me, the best job in the world and to have it at CBS News. Along the way, I've had the honor of working with some of the most talented, dedicated professionals in the world, and I'm appreciative of the opportunity to continue doing so in the years ahead," Rather said.

"Dans dedication to his craft and his remarkable skills as a reporter are legendary," said CBS News President Andrew Heyward. "He has symbolized the CBS Evening News for nearly a quarter century. Hell continue to apply his talents to everything he does at CBS News. I look forward to saluting his extraordinary tenure in the Evening News chair

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No doubt this was enviable give the controversy surrounding the national guard memos. Im surprised it took this long. Rather had a political axe to grind with the Bush family and allowed it to get in the way of his objectivity. Rather does represent the old guard or sorts tracing its lineage back to Murrow and Chronkite. However, they seem to have lost a step with the advent of the internet. Much of Rathers downfall may have been a fundamental misunderstanding of political blogging and the nature of information on the Internet. I cant say that I will miss him, but he does, I think, signal and end of an era in news.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
All that lying finally getting to them?

"There is no such thing, at this date in the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.

There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the street looking for another job.

If I allowed my honest opinion to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. You know it and I know it. And what folly is this - toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance.

Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

John Swinton - New York Times - New York Press Club

"The news and truth are not the same thing."

~~Walter Lippmann, American journalist, 1889-1974

"News is what someone wants to suppress. Everything else is advertising."

- Rubin Frank, former president NBC News

"We tell the people what they need to know, not what they want to know."

- Frank Sesno, CNN News

"Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we decide they ought to have." - Richard Salent, former pres. CBS News

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Good riddance. I read the book Bias by Bold Goldberg who discusses in detail The Dans extreme bias and hubris. Its amazing to me that this kook was allowed to stay around as long as he was.

Thanks, Dan, for destroying what was once the crown jewel of CBSs broadcasting network.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
half way through the memo-gate scandal....didn't Rather bet his career on the authenticity of the memo?

guess he lost that bet quicker than a porcupine climbing a cactus in....

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
project_pisces

Ouch! Some scathing remarks from those in the know. Thank goodness for the internet.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
....something that is gone forever in this country. He's been growning an ulcer since he was clamped down upon & given the 'no-report' orders on Coup 2000 and that the Emperor was so obviously naked.
People these days favor the vapidness of a Katie Couric or the fluff of an Anderson Cooper, but really, it's a function of the corporate media's need to act as a corporation & put it's profit ahead of integrity.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
speaking of Katie Couric...and sorry I'm getting a little off topic...remember when the morning news used to be.... the MORNING NEWS??

what happened????

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It's refreshing to see a network take responsible actions in regard to news. Rather made a mistake, so for the sake of integrity, he's paying for it.

If only other news networks took journalistic ethics as seriously.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This just in from BSNN

Dan Rather has agreed to take the position of Editor in Chief at Al Jazeera news network.

On behalf of CBS, Internet Bloggers, and the staff of ATSNN we would like to wish Dan Rather well in his new position.

I am sure we can FAKE the documents to prove this, however that may take some time. and right now I am in the mood for a snack!

Gazz

[edit on 23-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Heard reported that Michael Moore will replace Dan at CBS. They couldn't get Mikhail Gorbachev.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The network did say that Rather would continue to be a correspondent to 60 Minutes.

Wouldn't it be better for him to remain a "face man" and not a correspondent? It is one thing for him to read the news but to remain a reporter seems like CBS is dismissing the whole memo affair as irrelevant.

B.

new topics

top topics

join