It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian tanks exhibited at entrance to Sevastopol, Ukraine.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Latest news on Ukranian channels-
Russia recalls ambassador to Ukraine.
Southern Ukrainian city of Sevastopol stops paying taxes to Kiev, seeks independence.
Russian tanks exhibited at the entrance to Sevastopol.

Sorry links in Ukrainian, but Googles always ready to translate it for you.

Russian tanks headed for Sevastopol, Ukraine.

edit on 23/2/14 by asen_y2k because: Factual errors.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Been expecting it.......Hungary 1956 all over again.....
Perhaps engineered by the KGB as much as the CIA....maybe?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

Doesn't sound good.
Obviously Russia would like the Crimea back for strategic reasons.
Perhaps- at best- they might settle for partition?

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Olympics are over, now the main show starts as Putin will get his hands dirty.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Looks like the unleashing of a whole pot full of nationalistic and other forms of loyalties that conflict. This doesn't sound like it'll end well for this new direction it's taking.

As a new regime consolidated its grip over power in Kiev on Sunday, calls for secession in the pro-Russian south of Ukraine were growing louder.

At a protest attended by thousands in the port city of Sevastopol on Ukraine's Crimean peninsula, the crowd voted to establish a parallel administration and civil defence squads.

Demonstrators waved Russian flags – there was not a Ukrainian flag to be seen – and chanted "Russia, Russia, Russia" during the gathering.
Source: Guardian

This one is from back in 2011...but gives numbers on why it's so crtical to Putin. There is a flash point I think we could actually see fighting over.

Russia will never give up its naval base in Ukraine's port of Sevastopol on the Crimean peninsula, ex-commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet Adm. Igor Kasatonov said.

Russia's Black Sea Fleet is stationed in Crimea under a lease agreement with Ukraine. On April 21, 2010, Moscow and Kiev signed a deal extending the lease on the fleet's base in Sevastopol for 25 years after the current lease expires in 2017.
Source: RiaNovosti

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Why have one war, when you can have two at twice the price?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The article does NOT say "Russian tanks headed to Sevastopol" as the link in the OP states - - it says that armored vehicles of het Russian Black Sea fleet "exhibited" at the entrance to Sevastopol.

Google translate link to article in English

Many may not realize that when the USSR broke up, the Black Sea Fleet was subject to negotiation between Ukraine and Russia - it was originally split, then operated as a single entity, and then split again in the late 1990's - Ukraine originally leased Sevastopol to Russia as a base of operations for the Russian Black Sea Fleet until 2017.

Wiki article on the Black Sea fleet after fall of USSR

Given that an upgrading of security at the base in the light of recent political developments in Ukraine should not be any great surprise - these vehicles are those already stationed there.

In 2010 Yanukovych agreed a 25 year extension to 2042 - but with his downfall that will be problematic as overt Russian "neocolonialism" is not popular in much of Ukraine but the Crimea is one of the areas that is largely populated with Russian speaking people & the fleet is understandably popular therefor employment and prosperity reasons.
edit on 23-2-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: add wiki link

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Here we gooo

Source

Russian Troops Arriving in Ukraine to Battle Protesters
edit on 23-2-2014 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I was wondering when somebody was going to post that.

Not that I don't think the thought has cross Putin's mind about Officially crashing the party...

edit on 23-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cass1dy09

That is what I call serious and no-kidding troop movement, under the circumstances and given what is happening. It's stretching belief beyond breaking to say it's anything else like an exercise. lol...

Putin is moving his side of the chess pieces and I think the real conflict may start soon....

Nothing I'm looking forward to seeing happen here and what may be about to come will likely shock a world that has seen nothing like it since a Square in China had themselves a freedom protest.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

no - the link doesn't say Russian troops arriving in Ukraine....it says

In the recent reports tell of movement of Russian troops at the border with Ukraine; Rumor high alert in the Russian army for the invasion is limited to the Ukraine to help the Ukrainian law enforcement forces against demonstrators.

-google translate link

rumour - not news!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Seems to me that Putin is calling Susan Rice's bluff!

How stupid of her to try to back Putin into a corner! If this is an example of diplomacy, then no wonder the world is screwed!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

and just above that it says "Elements in the Russian army began to move toward areas of Ukraine; may have prior military intervention"..

What about the other link I provided about the 1500 Russian troops?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

cass1dy09
Here we gooo

Source

Russian Troops Arriving in Ukraine to Battle Protesters
edit on 23-2-2014 by cass1dy09 because: (no reason given)

Comments on that identify the Russian commentary as identifying the convy as airborne troops moving to Novorossysk on black sea coast - nothing to do with Ukraine

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Prior intervention - all rumour.

1500 troops - really - you think that's an invasion??

Russia has 1 million or more troops - when 1500 move around in trucks it is nothing - every military every day moves troops - the US army is probably moving 1`500 troops in trucks right now to somewhere in the USA - dose that mean they're doing something nefarious, or perhaps they're just moving troops as happens every day??

Get a grip!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
1500 more troops then Russian has ever had in Syria... And a simple Google map search of the city Novorossysk shows a road leading right into Ukraine.. I speculate nothing just contributing.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yep my furry friend it won't be long now. We will see if he even let's all the Olympic teams leave before he pushes in with tanks. We have had real good relationship with Ukrainian military, sure hope they step up quickly. They are no match for Russia but we have been helping them for years now.

They have a real problem though and I only see this ending with a split Ukraine. Either way putin wants it all. He wants and needs his jewel back. He is one crazy brutal smart guy. He will take the ports and almost half the country in the next few days. Wait for the closing ceremonies to end. It won't be long after that.

Ukraine has some generals and part of the military who are still loyal to Russia. That is going to be a big key how bloody it gets. I don't think he will see any resistance at all in the largely Russian border area.

Not good for the world..... Cold war all over again.... Only now with crazy people in charge lol.

The Bot

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Everybody can relax

/Sarcasm

US tells Russia to keep troops out of Ukraine as Crimea flashpoint looms

The White House warned Russia to keep its troops out of Ukraine on Sunday night, amid fears that Moscow may step in with military force following the overthrow of the president, its ally.

Moscow accused the Ukrainian opposition of breaking a peace deal to seize power as Russia recalled its ambassador from Kiev, blaming the “deteriorating situation” in its neighbour.

Sergei Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, said opposition leaders had broken the agreement mediated by European foreign ministers on Friday, “having in effect seized power in Kiev, refused to disarm and continued to place its bets on violence.”

Barack Obama’s national security adviser said it would be a “grave mistake” for Vladimir Putin to send soldiers into Ukraine to restore a friendly government after the upheaval.

edit on 23-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69
Holds as much weight as Russia asking the United States to keep out of Canada under similar conditions.

edit on 23-2-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
To keep up on what's current, I came across this showing less than an hour ago for posting time...

Ukraine uprising: Russia's Vladimir Putin promises to work with Merkel and keep crisis-hit country ‘intact’

That is interesting to read..but somehow, knowing the history of Russia and how it responds to what it sees as threats, it doesn't make me feel any better. A week with nothing happening is all that will do that, I think. I also doubt we're going to see that here.

The support and assistance to this 'rebel element' was so transparently European and American, it's almost making Putin look like an ass in his own backyard. Imagine if Russia fomented revolution in Iceland oe Quebec to be even closer to us...to be pro Russian and anti-West? Sure....... We'd believe it had been a local uprising... Yup.. No doubt.. We'd just leeeeet it happen. Errrr...

I have this bad feeling of the quiet before the Putin fueled raging storm.

Hopefully..he's mellowed in his later years, and isn't the man he once was for this case. Otherwise..Well.... Uh oh...

* You'll have to enter this link title into their search box at the news site which loads. The article IS there. There is a word formed within the URL that the censor sees and blocks. It is actually a profanity too, if taken all by itself. I don't know why it's hitting on it.

President Vladimir Putin has agreed that the “territorial integrity” of Ukraine must be maintained, amid concerns that Russia could send in the military to defend its interests in the east of the crisis-hit country.

Mr Putin has previously been one of the missing Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych’s staunchest allies, but he pledged in a phone call with Germany’s chancellor Angela Merkel that the country must be allowed to appoint a new, functional government.

That is part of what is said, and can also be Google searched in quote to find the source. It's a good and very recent article for making it worth the hassle, IMO.
edit on 23-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join