It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Success is Determined by Your Ancestors and their Surname

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I wish I could find more information on my last name! It is really hard and every site that "promises" to have your name never has mine! I was even refunded from one site because they couldn't find it and they were stumped.

I only know that it changed spellings twice and was originally a French name that was traced back to the 1200s. I learned this from my dad and one old guy in a flea market who some how was able to find my name. I wish I still had the print out, damn water heater flood!!! I know that it changed spelling in the mid 1800s from another spelling different from the French but nobody knows when. The current spelling is from the late 1800s. The meaning of it is "valley of Christ." That is all I know.

Interesting article and in a way it kind of makes sense.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

everyone of european decent is from king Charlemagne technically.

www.itsokaytobesmart.com...

my line goes all the way back to Charlemagne too. from what i gather the line split fairly fast after charlemagne and more "Favorable" lines held strong through king henry i-iii and so on. my line splits off a couple generations after king henry the first and from the looks of it, spent some time abroad but once the line returns to europe around 1400ish it was about as tight with royalty as it could of been without actually wearing the crown. i dont know if my line is of the "favorable" ones after Charlemagne but it certainly doesn't seem to be one of the winning lines.

where does your line split after Charlemagne?

heres the line back to about 300-400ish til king henry the first.

King Henry the First was the son of--

1. William the Conquerer, King of England r. 1066-1087. He was the son of

2. Robert I, Duke of Normandy. He was the son of

3. Judith of Brittany & Richard the Good, Duke of Normandy. Judith was a daughter of

4. Ermengarde of Anjou & Conan I, Duke of Brittany. She was a daughter of

5. Adelaide De Vermandois & Geoffrey I, Count of Anjou. She was the daughter of

6. Robert, Count of Troyes and Meaux, who was the son of

7. Herbert II, Count De Vermandois & Liegarde. He was the son of

8. Herbert I, Count De Vermandois & Bertha. He was the son of

9. Pepin, Count of Senlis, who was the son of

10. Bernard, King of Italy, the son of

11. Pepin, King of Italy, the son of

12. Charlemagne, HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR; he was the son of

13. Pepin the Short, King of the Franks, the son of

14. Charles Martel, Victor of the Battle of Tours, the son of

15. Pepin of Heristal, Mayor of the Palace in Austrasia, the son of

16. St. Begga & Duke Ansgise, Mayor of the Palace to Siegbert. She was the daughter of

17. Itta & Pepin of Landen, Mayor of the Palace in Austrasia. She was the daughter of

18. Arnoldus, Bishop of Metz, who was the son of

19. Ansbertus, Gallo-Roman Senator & Blithilde. Ansbertus was the son of

20. Tonantius, who was the son of

21. Tonantius Ferreolus, friend and relative of Sidonius Apollinaris, at Rome 469 A.D. He was the son of

22. ______ Syagrius who married Ferreolus. She was the daughter of

23. Afranius Syagrius, who was a Gallo-Roman Consul, 381 A.D.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
and I'm still a bit confuzzled about the whole "Everyone comes from Charlemagne" thing.

my guess is that in 535 and 536 AD the great catastrophe and the following plague narrowed the gene pool drastically. i dont know that we could ever know the numbers of lines that came to an end during those dark years but i bet its alot? now shortly after most of the world dies and your now the ruler of the known world and the holy roman empire. good chance to spread some seed and create a bottleneck in the genetic lines. am i right?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I don't know if its the Name but I can tell you living in a small town, if you don't have the name people tend to walk over you, until they meet me. To me a name is a name and so what if your ancestors did wonderful or hateful things, the past is the past, we make a name for ourselves, I don't give a toot what your name is as long as you treat me the way you want to be treated.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think anyone can rise above a "family destiny" at least in societies where there is room for creative thought, but it doesn't take away the fact that it takes money to make money, and sometimes many generations of diligence. Some are better blessed in that regard.

Another thing I've felt personally is that knowledge of successful ancestors is where the biggest benefit lies.

My family, on one side, is near the top of a Scottish clan and they think of themselves as royalty though they are not. Regardless, it gives them the cojones to strike out and try.

The other side were inventors and lost and gained fortunes overnight, repeatedly, and I feel connected to them on some level and it sure gives me the confidence to market my creations. I know the risks but success was only a few generations back so why wouldn't it come to me? Not realistic but a definite psychological boost. As is knowing they survived their losses and moved on, takes away fear of failure.

As for me, I work very hard, long hours to have what I have, but have inherited a deeply ingrained sense of "why not me" in regards to success.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I notice the source doesn't provide a link to the study where it got its information. It looks like there could be a lot of interpretation.

It seems that mainly they looked at how successful people were in obtaining institutional status.

One has to wonder if those who have last names that many others within those institutions have, might find success comes easier, more likely to get good grades, promotions, and other benefits because of their names being well known within these institutions.

What about success in living good lives, contributing to humanity.

How many people named "Carpenter" are good carpenters?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
some names carry some weight....

www.todayifoundout.com...

the irony is pretty amazing with this one isn't it lol

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Relatives, it's all relative. We're all related it's just how far you want to look back. As an aside I watched a documentary not so long ago(don't ask me for a link as i'm p*ss a*sed) what stated that over 50% of the land in England is still owned by the families who came over with William The Conqueror. As for using surnames to trace your lineage surnames did not come into existence till around the 16th century and that includes any royal line.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

How does a rich ancestry work for their descendants? It's called inheritence and that isn't just genectics. Keep it in the silver spoon family.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

poet1b

How many people named "Carpenter" are good carpenters?

Debatably, they were better singers!
edit on 23-2-2014 by igloo because: better word choice

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Okay then, I'm related to the last welsh king Llyewlyn. So crown me. Lol.All I can say is that there must be a curse on us somewhere cause it sure hasn't come down the line for my family.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just to reiterate....the family fortunes do dwindle over the long haul, so apparently it a toss up as to what generation you get born into .....
At thaty rate the hundred ninetyseventh generation of the Rockefellers will be welfare recipients trying to make shrift on food stamps....?
Some small comfort there....alright....
edit on 23-2-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

i got a feeling there's certain families that dont rely on money. its more of a grace thing. as long as the game is being played right they keep their power/money. i got a feeling even the most powerful families could be gone in a matter of minutes if the rest of the worlds powers decided it so.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

19KTankCommander

I don't know if its the Name but I can tell you living in a small town, if you don't have the name people tend to walk over you, until they meet me. To me a name is a name and so what if your ancestors did wonderful or hateful things, the past is the past, we make a name for ourselves, I don't give a toot what your name is as long as you treat me the way you want to be treated.

That's Wisconsin for you. Been there, Done that. I kind of enjoyed it.

But not having a name happens everywhere. Sometimes, having a name or being connected to a family is not always a good thing.

Capiche!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
i come from a long line of men who never lived long enough to give a damm
and i think i might join in the family way sooner rather than later

got to keep up the tradition

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join