It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Golden: "Don't Frack In my Backyard" - Exxon CEO, Rex Tillerson

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

The CEO of ExxonMobil – the top producer of natural gas in the US – has joined a lawsuit that challenges the construction of a water tower connected to hydraulic fracturing operations near his Texas home, given that it may reduce the property value.

Really?... Really?!?!

Tillerson himself has excoriated fracking regulations amid the practice’s boom across the country.

"This type of dysfunctional regulation is holding back the American economic recovery, growth, and global competitiveness,” he said in 2012, Reuters reported.

In another 2012 interview - with the Council on Foreign Relations - Tillerson said that natural gas production today has been revamped with new technologies, “so the risks are very manageable.”

Source

So wait wait wait... Let me get this right... You smash any form of regulation laws to pieces on the grounds that "It's not harmful and we pay people off so they can move away", but when it's YOU who is in the situation it's unacceptable?? Oh right... Well you're awesome... /sarcasm

For anyone out there who does not know what Fracking is all about, I will quickly explain it.

Fracking is the process of pumping water mixed with sand and chemicals into the ground, this causes fractures in the earth and gas, oil and uranium baring solutions are forced up into a man-made well. These are collected and usually turned into Shale Gas.

As the picture indicates, there is also a major concern about possible seismic activity that could possibly be triggered from the fracturing of the earth. On top of this is the problem of the gases and oils infecting local rivers and water supplies. Fracking companies (such as Exxon) have denied that there is a possibility of this happening, and stand by the process being safe for people and the environment.

No wonder he doesn't want it in his backyard! Neither would I, but this man has been pushing it on the international community for years and will obviously continue to do so whilst he still has a mansion to live in.

But wait, it get's worse...

The "Rogers" family signed a surface-use agreement with a fracking company in 2009 to close their 300-acre dairy farm in rural Pennsylvania. That's not the end of the Rogers' story, but the public, including the Rogers' own neighbors, may never learn what happened to the family and their land as drilling operations sprouted up in their area. The Rogers did not realize they had signed a nondisclosure agreement with the gas company making the entire deal invalid if members of the family discussed the terms of the agreement, water or land disturbances resulting from fracking and other information with anyone other than the gas company and other signatories.

Source

Exxon and other companies are silencing people who are effected by the horrible repercussions of Fracking, there are cases of people getting very sick from drinking the water and the environment getting ruined.

I say we put ALL the fracking sites in the back yards of the board of directors for these companies, we'll see how safe they think it is after a couple of months.

“I have friends who still live here. They don’t have a place to go. They have small children...and they’re all sick,” one Mayflower resident told RT recently.

ExxonMobil pays Tillerson $40.3 million a year.

Mettā ~

edit on 23-2-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

This is one of those threads which ought to be flagged up the flagpole to the top of the main page. The hypocrisy of this man in this action should be put on a postage stamp (a stamp about the size of his integrity).
edit on 23-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Lol what kind of douche would hold back the American economic recovery? Doesn't he know the risks are very manageable with our modern technology? Sheesh what a little girl...

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Aleister

This is one of those posts which ought to be flagged up the flagpole to the top of the main page. The hypocrisy of this man in this action should be put on a postage stamp (a stamp about the size of his integrity).

A stamp that size would be dangerous man!

Something of negative mass will cause a black hole and suck the entire world into it.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 23-2-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Some people don't have any shame (apes either).

You can't go much lower as a person IMO.

Also:

rt.com...

Fracking involves toxic chemicals being lowered into kilometer-deep holes drilled in the ground to isolate gas and oil from shale. The toxic chemicals can then float into lakes and rivers or contaminate the ground. Also, fracking produces a disproportionate amount of waste, including radioactive water, which then has to be dumped somewhere.

Locked up in the strata into which they pump the pressurized process water, to fracture and thus create the huge surface area sponge which will yield up its cargo of gas and oil, is a monstrous amount of natural uranium and its deadly daughter Radium-226. And vast amounts of the radioactive alpha emitting gas Radon-222, and its own daughters Bismuth 214, Lead-210 and the alpha emitter Polonium-210. Remember Polonium-210? That was the material used when a few millionths of a gram poisoned ex-Russian agent Alexander Litvinenko.

Deep down in the earth, there is a lot of radioactivity, which is safe enough, so long as it is not brought up to the surface. The technical term is NORM (Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material). When it is brought to the surface it becomes Technologically Enhanced, or TENORM, and it is a serious health problem near oil wells and gas production sites. It is in the production water, in the oil, in the gas, around the production sites, the groundwater, in the pipes and tanks – and in your kitchen.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

I don't understand how they have got away with it, and people aren't protesting??

There have been a couple of protesters spring up in the UK, but not enough change anything.

If it makes money, people just don't give a s**t.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It sure isn't fair. When it's done to them, they won't have it near them or theirs' , terrible.

I say, if they want to do this to someone else, let them be first in line. But, they will always get away with it, and come out high and dry. Money talks, BS walks.

I hope they do frack near him and his, would serve these people right.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

I wish it was something that was on the tip of peoples tongues more. I try to talk about it when I can, but the people I talk to usually just go "What's fracking?"

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Where is the usual, there is nothing wrong with fracking, corporations can do no wrong, CEOs are god crowd to defend the CEO of Exxon in this situation.

I wonder how much press this story will get.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Immediately stop all fracking operations around the world and move them all to his back yard. I apologise, in advance, to any poor soul who lives by him who must suffer with him.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This should send up alarm bells in the while fracking debate. The fact that one of the head swine who wants to frack the hell out of everyone's back yard and damn the consequences, yet refuses to have it done anywhere near his residence, should tell you something about the safety and harmlessness of this activity. It's just like the energy tycoon that wants to build a nuke plant near you, but refuses himself to live anywhere near it.

It's ok to poison and lower property values for other people, bot not THEM? If they can't put their money and homes where their mouths are, then whatever they are selling us should be refused.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Rex Tillerson doesn't want to **** on his own doorstep.....

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

*shakes head*

If this doesn't send a message to the deniers, then I guess nothing will short of one being put in their own backyard too

Not only does it cause the land value to depreciate, but there is also a slim chance of worn out concrete protectors which may cause cracks in the casing that may allow gas to seep into the water table causing tap water to become contaminated as well as flammable

Doesn't happen all the time but it has been recorded on video
Never a problem with the land until one of those wells goes up

I don't understand how they have got away with it, and people aren't protesting??

Actually there has been 2 controversial documentaries made about the downside of fracking and it has interviews of some residents that have to live with the repercussions of it

But as one might expect, people came out of the woodwork stating that the residents have it ALL wrong and are just blowing it out of proportion.
And the guy that made the documentaries had his facts all wrong too
Basically they don't know what they are talking about
'Their problems are not related to fracking, blah, blah, blah and so on and so forth'......*sigh*

Not to mention possible cause of numerous EQ that have been on the rise since fracking itself has increased since 2009
But that once again is also disputable

S&F

edit on 23-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Flagged!

I wonder how long it'll be before he moves somewhere else and denies his objections?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

wonder how long it'll be before he moves somewhere else and denies his objections?

Per the article at bottom:

ExxonMobil pays Tillerson $40.3 million a year.

Yeah, he sure has the money to move if he so desires
Damn, that's a hefty salary!!

That means he has the clout to fight it in court for how ever long it takes
I'm sure his neighbors are pleased too

It also means he gets paid to say whatever the company wants him to say

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Here is the face of hypocrisy - to share if you'd like. Let's spread the word.

edit on 23-2-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Maluhia
Here is the face of hypocrisy - to share if you'd like. Let's spread the word.

edit on 23-2-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

Definitely keeping this!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

"Don't Frack In my Backyard"

Is this really about fracking?

In June of 2011 Bartonville Water Supply Corporation, a/k/a Cross Timbers Water Supply Corporation, sued the Town of Bartonville in the 211th Judicial District seeking to invalidate the City’s denial of a conditional use permit for construction of a water tower located at the Stargate site.

That suit has been dismissed. In the fall of 2011, BWSC applied for a building permit to construct an elevated water tower. That building permit application was denied based on the fact that site was not zoned to allow the construction. That determination was made by the Building Official and letter sent to the BWSC/CTWSC.

www.townofbartonville.com...

Excerpts from a statement from the North Bartonville Citizens Association. They argue the city doesn't need a new water tower and the contructions plans don't comply the town's ordinances.

In August, 2010 and again in 2011, CTWSC (previously known as Bartonville Water Supply Corp.) applied to the town for a permit to build an almost 160-foot elevated water storage tank. While the Planning and Zoning Commission's responsibility is to determine if the plans are workable, it is the Town Council's responsibility to determine if the structure complies with the town's lawfully enacted ordinances.

If it doesn't, the applicant must present clear evidence as to why the town should give them a conditional use permit for that request. Otherwise, any developer, manufacturer and retail public utility could run roughshod over any private citizens' property they chose.

There were months of research and public hearings conducted by the Bartonville Town Council in both 2010 and 2011. The following facts emerged: The water company already had one elevated tower which stores 500,000 gallons of water. That, along with their ground storage tanks, provided all the water needed. In fact, they didn't need a second elevated tower anywhere in their service area. A ground storage tank with back-up pumps adjacent to the Upper Trinity pipeline is all that is needed or required in Bartonville to add to their other storage facilities to provide safe water and fire protection to their customers now and in the future.

www.crosstimbersgazette.com...

Cross Timbers Water Supply Corp. sees things differently, that's why they're suing.

online.wsj.com...

www.crosstimbersgazette.com...

crosstimberswater.com...

Tillerson seems to be more concerned with the 'blocked view" and the loss of property value, not so much with the fracking.

online.wsj.com...

edit on 24-2-2014 by talklikeapirat because: fixedlink

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Well.. Golly... If fracking is as safe as he and his company force everyone to be told and live with ...He should be welcoming it. In fact, he should be told what he sees to it, others are told. This is not your business, not your concern and you best find yourself some business to tend before you GET tended by something like..Oh...public demand for criminal investigations?

After all... What is he objecting to? He and his company HAVE said this is all just fine and shouldn't matter......but his words when it's HIS land clearly say the opposite. I smell a rat that needs drawn out into the light for some serious examination here.

What a guy tho...... Peace for me but none for thee! Thanks Exxon...What a wonderful attitude. I'll walk before I buy a gallon of your crap again. The final straw of the box for my attitude with Exxon.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join