It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safeway rotisserie Chicken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The wife picked us up a rotisserie chicken from Safeway tonight. Looked like a perfectly normal chicken until we dug in to it. Upon splitting it up we found that it seemed to have been run over by a truck before it was cooked! Many disconnected bones, no real carcass after it was done. The breast had odd pieces of bone in it, as well as the thighs. At first I did not think much of it as I was hungry and it was good.

As I ate, I got the oddest feeling that I was not eating chicken at all. When it was done there was not enough bones left over to make a proper chicken carcass. Very strange stuff and makes me wonder about what these huge meat factories are kicking out and if this was a genetically screwed up chicken or just what the heck we had eaten. It was sort of alarming to say the least.

An odd bird for sure lol

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Coopdog
... Very strange stuff and makes me wonder about what these huge meat factories are kicking out and if this was a genetically screwed up chicken or just what the heck we had eaten. ...

Dude, everything you eat from those places should be called into question. If they could get away with selling pureed rat meat for chicken and not get caught, what makes you think they'd not do it?

I have said for along time that if you want to know what you are eating, you'd better have picked it from the earth or bled it out yourself, or intimately know the person who did. Otherwise, there ain't no tellin' what you're sticking in your mouth.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
You may be better off not knowing at this point. Seriously. There is so much wrong with a lot of the food we eat, it makes one uneasy eating it at all truthfully. I read so much stuff about almost anything you can think of... and most of it is not good by any stretch of the imagination. It's getting to the point that you are never quite sure what you are eating unless you have killed it, or grown it yourself.

Your chicken may have had an accident while being butchered and that made it seem like it was run over. If it was frozen beforehand and then shipped, the unloaders may have trampled over it, hit is with a pallet jack, or any number of other things you could think of. I have worked stocking at Wal-Mart and have seen many things treated this way....including food unfortunately. I often wonder how anyone gets a TV from there that works at all from the way it is handled in the back rooms.

Try not to think much about what you have already consumed. It's too late for that and you don't want to make yourself sick worrying about it. What's done is done. But it wouldn't hurt to ask someone the next time you are in there, where their chicken comes from and what they do to it when it arrives (preparation, etc.).

It probably just got smooshed somewhere along the way.... hopefully.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I've eaten the Safeway Rotisserie chicken a number of times. Out of Desperation and laziness..
(and it was 5 dollar Friday!)
Other than being massively salty...It seemed like a pretty normal bird.

Go in, and tell them what happened. They will refund you.
At least that's how the safeway here works, if you shop there with any regularity.
Wont' solve the issue that you have already eaten it, but they need to know.
And you'll get a gift card..

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

Let us know if your bowels act up.

Hope you get compensated for a normal chicken.

Can't speak for Safeway, but never had that issue with Walmart/Sams chicken rotisserie. Or Harvey's (Old FoodLion) yard birds.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
MMMmmMMm!! Safeway's rotisserie chicken!! I'll pick that thing down to the bone. *nom, nom*

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think you got one of those mutant birds they created for rotisseries.....
No connected bones you say?-check...
Not enough bone matter to make a chicken?-check
It WAS a mutant rat.....

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

Mmmmm, Safeway mystery rotisserie meat. So you and your wife didn't notice before you opened it up -- let alone before you bought it -- that it didn't look like a chicken usually looks. Hmm.

Safeway sells collections of rotisserie chicken parts sometimes too. Maybe that is what it was. Did it taste like chicken at least? In any case save the pseudo-carcass and make varmint soup with it.

I buy rotisserie chickens from Safeway or similar such fine food product emporiums, and they have always been fine. Of course I choose the chicken-in-a-container carefully.

Once I did get a piece of bbq chicken out front of an Albertson's (they were having one of those summer-day sale festivals). Got a wee bit of the ptomaine from that, so I'll never eat -- let alone buy -- any food being sold/offered like that again in front of a supermarket again.

On a related note, at my local Safeway, which is a fairly nice one, they have rat traps at each side of the front sliding doors, as well as others around the outside of the building. That might be where they get their rotisserie victuals from.

edit on 23-2-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Coopdog
The wife picked us up a rotisserie chicken from Safeway tonight. Looked like a perfectly normal chicken until we dug in to it. Upon splitting it up we found that it seemed to have been run over by a truck before it was cooked! Many disconnected bones, no real carcass after it was done. The breast had odd pieces of bone in it, as well as the thighs. At first I did not think much of it as I was hungry and it was good.

As I ate, I got the oddest feeling that I was not eating chicken at all. When it was done there was not enough bones left over to make a proper chicken carcass. Very strange stuff and makes me wonder about what these huge meat factories are kicking out and if this was a genetically screwed up chicken or just what the heck we had eaten. It was sort of alarming to say the least.

An odd bird for sure lol

one more reason why ..

I don't eat chicken ..

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Komodo

Coopdog

An odd bird for sure lol

one more reason why ..

I don't eat chicken ..

I used to love these back when I ate meat. Although the last time I had one (I can't remember which store I got it from but I think they're all basically the same) I was so utterly grossed out as I was getting down to the carcass. Now that I think back on it I can't exactly remember everything but there were some leftover organs inside, like part of the liver which was just weird as I've never had this happen before in one of those chickens. It made me wary of the entire thing. In fact I think it was one of the last meats I ate before totally turning totally vegetarian.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Heh, The local walmart here, yea, the chicken is questionable. Not only could it be something... other then chicken, it's NEVER cooked all the way through. So, we don't buy chicken from the local wal-mart. /shudder..

However, we do buy fried chicken from the local King Soopers.. Never had a bad experince with them.. yet. and it's the parts I've alway seen offered for fried chicken. Tastes like chicken too.

The local KFC.. For-get it! /shudder. another "What is this?" meal.

Some things are best left alone.

Hope you remain well, and with your full fortitude after such a meal. As long as it was cooked all the way through, and juices were "clear", your safe from getting food poisoning, at least.

A little trick I learned from my culinary days. People who question the "safety" of their meal, will typically drink a glass of white wine, or have a shot or two of a strong alcohol after the meal, as it is believed to KILL any bad bacteria that would, otherwise, make you sick. This was carried over from the past, where nobles, and others could not always be guaranteed a "safe" and "sanitary" meal. As to the validity of the idea, who knows.

Best wishes!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
We have Meijers here and I love their rotisserie chicken, never had a problem with it and its pretty cheap. You can see them being handled and cooked, no big secrets.

I do tend to stay away from anything BBQ in the deli. Kinda makes me think of yesterdays chicken with an odor covering bbq sauce.

Sometimes it just isnt possible for some of us to harvest or kill our own food, although if hunting city squirrels were legal I'd have a feast

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

tinner07
... although if hunting city squirrels were legal I'd have a feast

Mmm, squirrel.

I've got a recipe around here somewhere for those tender lil morsels.

May I borrow an onion and some carrots?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Coopdog

I got one from Asda once and it was pretty much destroyed inside for some reason. it was black like a bin liner yuk!!

new topics

top topics

join