Cable merger stirs opposition in Congress

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are pledging close scrutiny of a proposed $45 billion merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

thehill.com...

Critics like Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) say the merger is likely to leave people with higher bills and poorer service.

Senate Commerce Chairman Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va) said after the deal was announced that it “raises serious questions that deserve thorough scrutiny.”

Hmm.

I guess Franken, and Rockefeller got a little mifted that Comcast didn't donate enough to them so they figured they would 'blackmail' them instead.

See www.washingtonpost.com...

Bwhahaaa!

www.opensecrets.org...

www.opensecrets.org...

influenceexplorer.com...

Close 'scrutiny' eh?

More like both sides of the aisle are doing a shakedown of Comcast, and TWC.

I was going to go another router here, and say that government doesn't like competition which it is why it is the only monopoly that is allowed in this country.

I have a lower opinion of politicians than I do them evil corporations.

Imagine that both sides with their hands of that 'telecom cookie jar'.

Oh yeah definite shakedown.

Comcast,TWC says 'shhh look the other way, heres a few million for your campaign funds'.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The difference is that;

With businesses, you don't have to buy their product.

With politicians, you are forced to "buy" through legislation.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by neo96

The difference is that;

With businesses, you don't have to buy their product.

With politicians, you are forced to "buy" through legislation.

Yep especially since the ACA.

I don't get what the big deal is though.

Wireless communication is the new 'king'.

4g, LTE etc.

It's the digital age after all, and wireless is the new sultan of swing.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
What ever happened to the Anti Monopoly Laws?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

amazing
What ever happened to the Anti Monopoly Laws?

We have those, and those laws clearly state the only monopoly allowed is the US government.

If the US government was held to the same standards ?

Fanny Mae,Freddy Mac, Social Security,Medicare,and Medicaid would all be broken up, and sold off to someone else.

edit on 22-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The merger would be exceptionally bad for the consumer.

Comcast has unconscionable service, is behind things like undoing net neutrality, bandwidth caps , and has done things like actively campaign in Seattle to ban Google fiber, instead of bettering there network they would rather ban competition.

Id say they are damn noncompetitive, its nice to see that for what ever reason (probably a competing lobbying interest) its being fought.

And that needs to happen.

As this is about the worst Idea in a long time and will end up hurting the consumer, and its the supposed job of congress to look out for us, Id say fighting this happens to fall to that.

but I have no delusions its for our sake.
edit on 22-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)
edit on 22-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Id say they are damn noncompetitive, its nice to see that for what ever reason (probably a competing lobbying interest) its being fought.

Maybe if it was fought for the right reasons, but hell we all know our 'elected' leaders do nothing for the right reasons.

EVER.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Its gotten to the point I can't give any of them credit,

We have allowed too much opportunity for corruption, to even get elected they need millions.

For most the only choice is to stay bought if they even want a job, least their competing candidate get funds they might of.

We created a system that rewards corruption to the detriment of all.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I'm a Comcast customer, by choice. My wife and son get their movies and cable at home, I get it on the interwebz.

I get pretty much whatever I want, viewing wise. My family enjoys the movies and such. We don't watch much (if any) network television shows.

Caveat Emptor. (spelling?) Is all I have to say.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I was a verizon Fios customer, it was 4x the speed of what I have now for a quarter less with comcast.

My one regret in moving was not ensuring they had Fios out here, Thankfully google fiber is supposedly coming out here soon.

The fact they would rather dump money in lobbying against the competition rather than upgrade themselves is BS, don't even get me started on Customer service...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
tl;dr: They campaign donations. In other news: nothing else is new.

new topics

top topics

join