It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a Remake of Sagan's Old 1980s Cosmos Series

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I predict, with my new, all-seeing-eye crystal ball from Wally World that the new series coming in March entitled
Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will finish the 14-part series with a very detailed and intense look at possible life on other planets . OK, that part is a no-brainer, but my guess is that it will be evident that a heavy emphasis is being put on that aspect and that references will be made to UFO phenomena even though technically that subject should remains outside of the interests of the series because officially it has always kept outside of scientific investigations and acknowledge. Further, I expect to see and hear new discoveries about life in the Universe if not within our solar system that has not been reported before to the public.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the reworking of the old series from the 1980s which Carl Sagan moderated intentionally has been resurrected in a new form to help convey and convert millions of in-the-dark world citizens toward the possibilities of life existing elsewhere. The wildly successful original series has already proved the value, need and educational benefits of such a series. True, Sagan is long gone, but his legacy will live on in the new series. I suspect this new one will blow us all away with excellently done narration, and beautiful artwork both real and CG stuff. I'm suspecting that the way is being paved in the short term for some manner of disclosure.
edit on 22-2-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I don't think there's much of anyone anywhere that would dispute the possibility of life, even advanced intelligent organized technological life and civilization(s) ... somewhere out in the great vast ambiguous largess of the Universe, and even perhaps our own Galaxy.

The Universe, to use an insufficient word to describe it is BIG.

Thing is, the enormous scale of volume and mass contained in the Universe that allows for the near certainty of life ... somewhere ... is also the very thing that makes it quite improbable that there's any such visiting our planet.

Our little planet is so small in comparison to the rest of the Universe, and even just our local Galaxy, it's quite unlikely for an abundance of reasons in addition to this issue of scale, that any other life from any other anywhere else is visiting, or has ever visited.

1. There's the issue of TIME.
1a. 99.9% of all life that's ever existed on this planet over the course of 4 Billion Years of life is EXTINCT. Humans, by comparison, have only been around for about 5 minutes.

2. Resources are abundant in the Universe
2a. Exploration is driven by both curiosity, and a demand for resources, where when any organism finds a resource rich habitat/location, that organism tends to stick around. Given the relative abundance of resources available for any potential space-faring civilization accustomed to operation on a less inclined gravitational plane, other than curiosity, there's not much reason to go looking for reasons to get lost among the stars.

3. Long term homesteading
3a. By the time many possible civilizations reach any point of interstellar exploration, the long game may very well come into question.
Our sun, for instance, will only last about 10 Billion Years.
!0 Billion Years?! That's a lot?!
Well, maybe, but, for a civilization that may have solved issues like mortality, 10 Billion is still a LIMIT, and, having to pull stakes after the expense of settling in and setting up a home for a bit may be considered troublesome.
3b. Have a look at Stellar Evolution.

Smaller solar Mass objects like Red Dwarfs, and White Dwarfs could very well prove the more advantageous long-term homestead for any civilization interested in sticking around for more than a blink, and once moved in, set up, and settled, domestication and sedentary lifestyles could very well be norm.

4. As mentioned at the start, there's that whole thing with scale.
4a. In a Universe with at least 100 BILLION Galaxies, each on average with 300 BILLION Stars each, there could be a BILLION civilizations each with their very own galaxies, none aware of each or any other due the astounding gulfs of distances between galaxies.
4b. That's on a galactic scale, and, here we are, just one single tiny little insignificantly sized small planet, where we don't even really have much of a human presence in our own solar system, much less anything even in our own neighborhood.
We're a speck of dust in the corner of a tiny attic, in an abandoned house, in a ghost town, surrounded by wilderness, surrounded by desert, on an island, in the middle of a vast ocean.

Sure, there's likely life ... somewhere in the Universe.
Visiting?
The likelihood is quite very extremely small.

Now, on the flip of that, chances of us detecting someone else are greater than anyone else detecting us, so, there's that.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I noted this morning that I can pull up Cosmos from my On Demand menu, so I am going to watch the first installment of the remake today, and as a fan of the old Cosmos, really looking forward to see what the new Cosmos is all about. I will post thoughts/comments later.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
well I noticed in the credits early of the show, the name of Brannon Braga, as the Director and then I remembered he was with Star Trek The Next Generation, so I went in with fairly big expectations. After watching the first episode I would say its ok, nothing to write home about. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. There was a fair amount of cartoonish animation in parts which did not impress. Overall a bit of a letdown. I will wait and see what further topics are. I was thinking with all the new discoveries we have made of late about the universe it would be in this episode. Not.
edit on 24pm31pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join