It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Criticizes Obama Over Visit by Dalai Lama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
China Criticizes Obama Over Visit by Dalai Lama

WASHINGTON — President Obama welcomed the Dalai Lama to the White House on Friday morning, provoking a sharp rebuke from the Chinese government, which warned that the meeting would severely damage relations between Washington and Beijing.

But this time, in contrast to previous meetings, the White House seemed unruffled by the diplomatic repercussions of the visit by the Tibetan spiritual leader, which comes as the United States is taking a firmer line with China on a range of territorial disputes with its neighbors.

Mr. Obama, the White House said in a statement, reiterated in the meeting his support for the rights and religious liberties of Tibetans in China.

When I read about these visits by the Dalai and then watch the back and forth between Washington and Beijing I can't help but giggle. China the up and coming wanna be Super power can't seem to keep it together over these visits. Then I think why should Obama care? I know some will say because China supposedly owns the US or could do this that or the other and I'm far from a Obama supporter. Then it dawned on me that maybe the reason Obama doesn't care is because he's on his way out.

He wont be around to deal with any if at all fallout from Beijing's expected psychological meltdown over the Dalai's visit.

So, some guy living in India comes almost bi yearly, says a few words and bows. China, chill out. We still love you. Well, At least Walmart does....

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Obama is so weak on foreign policy that China is using this as an excuse to further annoy and get concessions from the US.

Dali Lama visits.
China gets annoyed.
The US caves and offers them. . . . . . ?

If Obama was a strong president, China would keep it's mouth shut and just accept it.

But Obama is weak.

See an "offering" to appease China next month. I'd bet 5 internetz on it.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It wouldn't matter if Obama was a strong President or not... China would still whinge.
The only difference is... That's all they would be doing.

They wouldn't get anything from the U.S if Obama was a strong President.

But again, lovely to see Religion playing a part in Politics.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Both China and Obama annoy me.

I do like the Dalai though.

'Paradox of our Age' sums it up rather succinctly.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Just more petty posturing and strutting about on the "world stage".methinks that both Obummer, AND China are just marking time....
As we try to encircle Russia. we do the same to the Chinese.......its a grand chessboard aint it?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Perhaps we should have given China something to scream about like a State Dinner for the Dali Lama. But then, I'm sure the guest list wouldn't have been the latest and greatest of hip hop if that had been done.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

neo96
Both China and Obama annoy me.

I do like the Dalai though.

'Paradox of our Age' sums it up rather succinctly.

As a self-declared Marxist (though anti-Leninist), his visit to the white house doesn't surprise me at all.

The big surprise for me was his visit to AEI!

Free Market Economics and Happiness

Also, when did we start caring what China thinks?
edit on 22-2-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
If I were the Chinese government I'd like to fund Alaska, Hawaii or Texas independent movements as retaliation.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
America emits the same kind of disgruntled barking over visits/speeches/events in countries all around the world. Let no pot call the kettle back...this kind of activity is fairly stock standard, and most countries do it on one level or another.

Just a shame Mister Lama hasn't hurt a soul with what he's said over the years...and to live in exile all the while. Geez.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Hey Slayer? How about we really annoy those Mandarin serpents, and just elect Donald Trump as our next President?

He would be much better than the Red China lap dog Obama. Or the next Red China lap dog Hillary. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
How is Obama encouraging the Dalai Lama and China resume talks taking a firmer stance? Is that a journalist thing? Because the two don't fit. Taking a firmer stance against territorial disputes? How is this our business to begin with, and how is making a request the same as being firm - other than how it makes him seem authoritative on the matter.

I think it is enough to spend time with him without the need to provoke the Chinese (honor) by talking to them like they are children. As if they are going to say, "Obama recommends it so we should do it". Just visit with the man and enjoy his company. I'm sure he doesn't want any drama.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

If the Dali lam had any scruples at all he would go home. He fears those there and therefore is no leader. he is a wimp riding on the support of a misunderstanding worldwide public. He's an attention seeking celebrity, not a religious leader.

Will he finally prove himself and return home be arrested and stand up for what he believes? No. He is a fraud, an attention seeker and a coward. No leader can be any of these things.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

Why do you feel this way about the Dalai Lama? I never hear about him unless he is visiting the states so don't see a whole lot of celebrity seeking. And if he returns to China he will be imprisoned or killed. That makes him a coward - to avoid those consequences?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

He's an attention seeking celebrity

No Miley Cyrus and Kim Kardashian are attention seeking celebrities - the Dalai Lama is not.

I saw him give a talk and he is about as humble and unassuming as you can imagine him to be.

To even suggest that he's an attention seeking celebrity is actually quite laughable.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Wouldn't a red Chinese lapdog shun the Dalai Lama?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Seems to me that when you want to stop somebody from meeting/speaking it is because you are afraid of their message. Maybe not afraid but do not want the recipient to "like" what they are saying and disagree with it.

If when my girls were in school the KKK wanted to come in and speak I would protest that. Same as if the Muslim brotherhood wanted to.

I wonder what part of the Dalai Lama's speech they disagree with?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think I enjoy the visits to simply watch Washington and Beijing squirm.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

AlphaHawk
Wouldn't a red Chinese lapdog shun the Dalai Lama?

Not when they keep their friends close, and their enemies closer. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

beezzer

Obama is so weak on foreign policy that China is using this as an excuse to further annoy and get concessions from the US.

Dali Lama visits.
China gets annoyed.
The US caves and offers them. . . . . . ?

If Obama was a strong president, China would keep it's mouth shut and just accept it.

But Obama is weak.

See an "offering" to appease China next month. I'd bet 5 internetz on it.
. Barry is just a Bankster puppet.

top topics

join