It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents forced to government "education" class, or government punishes children.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Excuse me but, um, are you suggesting we become robots? Beep boop.....

And hey Beez. Scary stuff in the OP but I doubt that it would pass. Then again, I've continued to be surprised at such foolishness over the years.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

HELL NO
I had 12 years in school ,Graduated and i work at a Middle School 40 Hours a week as
Head Custodian ( JUST A FANCY WORD FOR JANITOR )
I'll be Damned if they make me go back to Classes.

LMAO

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

AthlonSavage
reply to post by dollukka

The kids need punishment but by the parents the issue is the parents are the one encouraging the behaviours, the parents are the root cause of problem. For example if Hilter had decent parents who punished him when growing up for being a jerk we may not of had the world wars 1 and 2.

Irresponisble parents are like the majority of cat owners they let their cats out at night to roam and they kill the natural wild life. Parents are the root of the Problem!
edit on 22-2-2014 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Punishment?

What kids need more than ever is safety, non stressed happier homes, mom or the significant caretaker not stressed and working nonstop. Fun activities, camping trips, fishing, art, tai chi, trampolines, some friends over from time to time, allowance for some chores, some meditation sessions, and as much positive words as possible.

Use Love tactics NOT Pain tactics.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I would never attend anything like this. Don't involve myself in the school much. Speak up when I notice my son has strange saudi friendly text books, don't like crapola at all. Speak up.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone else has already pointed this out ... but why wait until a kid is in middle school? If you're going to go all nanny police state on the parents and force them to take parenting classes, you need to do it way before that age or else the damage has already been done.

Not only are you setting the kids up for failure and academic shaming, but you're going to be setting the parents up for failure, too. If any of them do take the classes seriously and try to change things, they now have a damaged kid who is set in his or her ways to try to correct. This is much harder than with a much younger kid.

So basically, all this is going to achieve is force people to do things at the behest of the state and get them used to the idea that government can and should tell them what to do without actually changing anything or making anything better.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Unity_99

AthlonSavage
reply to post by dollukka

The kids need punishment but by the parents the issue is the parents are the one encouraging the behaviours, the parents are the root cause of problem. For example if Hilter had decent parents who punished him when growing up for being a jerk we may not of had the world wars 1 and 2.

Irresponisble parents are like the majority of cat owners they let their cats out at night to roam and they kill the natural wild life. Parents are the root of the Problem!
edit on 22-2-2014 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

Punishment?

What kids need more than ever is safety, non stressed happier homes, mom or the significant caretaker not stressed and working nonstop. Fun activities, camping trips, fishing, art, tai chi, trampolines, some friends over from time to time, allowance for some chores, some meditation sessions, and as much positive words as possible.

Use Love tactics NOT Pain tactics.

Sorry, but it doesn't matter what kind of tactics you talk about. The child needs correction. It cannot be avoided. Call it what you will, but a child who is old enough to attend middle school and has been living in a situation where bad parenting has set them into a pattern of behaviors that are counterproductive will need some pretty heavy duty corrections of some type. And in this case you are talking about both parents and children changing ingrained behavior patterns to new and unfamiliar ones.

You are setting them up fail no matter what kind of new behaviors you try to teach them.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

My main reason for supporting this, is school is the only place that children who are victims of domestic abuse go into public. This is the time to catch domestic abuse.

I don't really see too much of a downside, it's not like they're trying to get you to vote of Obama again at the these things.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

iRoyalty
reply to post by beezzer

My main reason for supporting this, is school is the only place that children who are victims of domestic abuse go into public. This is the time to catch domestic abuse.

I don't really see too much of a downside, it's not like they're trying to get you to vote of Obama again at the these things.

The problem with this is similar to government-inspired gun laws.

Parents who abuse won't be going to these classes. Only the parents who have to go because they don't want their children held back!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
How to turn your children into drones 101.
edit on 23-2-2014 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

beezzer
The problem with this is similar to government-inspired gun laws.

Parents who abuse won't be going to these classes. Only the parents who have to go because they don't want their children held back!

What do you think the negative repercussions are? I mean I can't see why more interaction with parent and teacher could be potentially bad, just because it's government run doesn't mean the people working there support the government.

I work for the NHS which is government funded, anyone who has had a political chat with me will no that Cameron is not on my birthday card mailing list lol

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

This takes away parenting rights and responsibilities and makes government responsible.

Government can't even do government right.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by iRoyalty

This takes away parenting rights and responsibilities and makes government responsible.

Government can't even do government right.

Haha no they can not! Or, they can, but for their own benefit!

Perhaps this should only be mandatory for failing students? There are a lot of parents out there who most certainly aren't responsible parents.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

iRoyalty

I mean I can't see why more interaction with parent and teacher could be potentially bad, just because it's government run doesn't mean the people working there support the government.

The only problem with that is it doesn't mean you're going to be spending more time w your children's teachers. It could be a workshop run by a non educational 3rd party. No teachers are going to be discussing things like physical or sexual abuse. It's outside the scope of their education and training. Their educators not crisis counselors. Somebody is going to be getting paid to do these mandatory workshops. The question is who is trying to get the contract and what Sen. Diaz connection is to the payola.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

peter vlar
The only problem with that is it doesn't mean you're going to be spending more time w your children's teachers. It could be a workshop run by a non educational 3rd party. No teachers are going to be discussing things like physical or sexual abuse. It's outside the scope of their education and training. Their educators not crisis counselors. Somebody is going to be getting paid to do these mandatory workshops. The question is who is trying to get the contract and what Sen. Diaz connection is to the payola.

Well I don't know about the US but in the UK to work with children or adults in a care role you must undertake training, and get a certificate to say you can detect vulnerable children and adults. I have this for working with the NHS and I am not a professional, I'm sure teachers must undergo this as well.

This probably does deserve keeping an eye on, but as of yet, I don't see any malicious intent in the program.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

beezzer

NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -
New York state Sen. Ruben Diaz Jr. introduced a bill that would require parents of elementary school children to attend a minimum of four parent support classes. If parents don't go, 6th graders won't move onto 7th grade.

Leslie Venokur, the co-founder of Big City Moms, called the idea "crazy" and "insane." She said that what is most concerning that the education commissioner and Board of Regents would develop the parenting guidelines. She said the Regents should "stick to what they're good at which is teaching kids and staying away from the parents."

The bill states one of the courses would be related to physical, emotional, and sexual abuse of children.

Employers would be required to provide one day a year of paid leave so working parents can attend classes.

Some parents and non-parents we spoke with think it is a good idea.

www.myfoxny.com...

Well, ATS? What do you think? Is forcing parents to attend a government-run parent support class a good idea?

Or is it a way to force parents to behave a certain way so that their children can advance?

I think this is a nightmare. Government says do "this", or we punish your children!

But hey, we no longer live in the land of the free any longer. This is nanny-state, police-state, bullying tactics.

As always, read, ignore, reply, buy an angry pack of ferrets and let them loose at a yoga class for lawyers, it's always up to you.

Back in my day, this would never have been an issue. IMHO, Tell your state government to kiss your ______! Insert favorite kissed part on the line...

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Offered, sure. Required, no.

What if a straight A student has heroin addicted parents who barely even realize they have a child. That child shouldn't have to rely on their parents to go on to the next grade.
edit on 2/23/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think this is a ploy of some jackhole education company to get $$ from the state by having the state legislate that people attend these classes. The next step in this big lie is to find out who is suppose to provide this education. I wouldn't be surprised to find a company associated with someone in the NY state government.

It's like in NC right now.
1. Our governor (a Republicant) is blocking legal action for Duke Energy to clean up their coal ash spills. He also worked for Duke Energy for 28 years prior to being elected governor.
2. Federal prosecutors are subpoenaing McCrory's administration because of the blocking of legal action against Duke Energy.

I have no doubt there is someone behind the scenes in NY state pushing for this idiotic legislation because it means $$ for their company or a company of a friend/relative.

Follow the money!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
this bothers me for several reasons. first off just WHO decides what is taught and WHO's standards would be used? there are after all MANY VARYING "THOUGHTS" on what is right and wrong raising a child. some people believe in spanking to correct bad behavior, while others feel the proper thing to do is "let the child be themselves", there are those that think "time outs" are the way to go, others think yelling does the trick, some even believe that beating the crap out of their child is the best. could these "standards" even change as those in charge change?

what happens when it is felt that certain parents are "failing" said courses? do they then take the children away for what may just be a difference of opinion, or even a personality clash between the "teacher" and parent? or do they even just ignore any parents that do show up yet are "bad" parents, but they showed up so......

will those "resistant" to what they are being taught, be put on some kind of "trouble maker" list, to be closely monitored? could this be used to take kids away from those who's beliefs/opinions may not be what the government wants? or could even if not right now, but in future be used to see who needs to go into the "re-education" camps to "fix" their flawed thinking?

also it feels like this only would apply to public schools, what about parents who send their kids to private schools, homeschool, or even send their kids away to boarding schools? or do they just get a free pass, after all "they" obviously "care", and are "good" parents because of the money or time spent on them?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Kali74
Offered, sure. Required, no.

What if a straight A student has heroin addicted parents who barely even realize they have a child. That child shouldn't have to rely on their parents to go on to the next grade.
edit on 2/23/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

Excellent point!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
Well, this is dumbest thing I have heard today.

I wonder where these people get the gall to think they have the right to do something like this.

Where to begin on that one! Our representatives were never intended to do what they do full time; only when convened. They were supposed to have real jobs. These scum either get bored and think up laws to justify there own existence, or are just the fruit of a decayed empire, doing what maggots do. In any case, we used to vote these bums in (when voting was for reals) and now they're leaching our life forces away like the malignant cancers they've become. Any new ones "voted" into office are just carbon copies (or clones) of their predecessors.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join