It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby food!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

ketsuko
Ah, the best laid plans ... I knew I wasn't going to be able to breast feed for any length of time. I did enough to get ours his early milk (forget the term), but then between latching issues and him being jaundiced and getting supplemented with formula in the nursery. The breast feeding was a non-starter, but the migraines started up pretty quick, so I needed to go back to my maintenance meds anyhow, so the breastfeeding would have stopped.

You mean colostrum?
That is the pre milk that comes in.
Oh I have had headaches/migraines since I was released from the hospital. I've had all kinds of tests and meds, nothing works. It is VERY annoying and frustrating because it interferes with my daily activities. My mom helps out when she can and my husband is overseas. He will be home in April so I will definitely take some time to myself. I hope by then I'll have some answers as to my headaches because they are making me slightly crazy.

Then, we made food for him, but that only lasted until he acquired taste for hot dogs and mac and cheese. He still gets everything we get, but there are times when the only way to get him to eat even just a little something is to stick one or the other in his hand. Lucky, we are back in the process of expanding his food vocabulary again now. I was starting to get worried.

I personally won't give him hot dogs or mac and cheese unless I make the mac/cheese myself and that includes the pasta. lol I don't eat hot dogs myself and everyone in the family has been warned what NOT to feed him. lol I don't care if they think it's cute if he eats ice cream. I don't want him having that stuff. I will decide when he can have such foods if at all. My mom loves to sneak things to him and it really irks me. I don't want him to eat processed foods. I don't eat them and I don't want him to eat them. It is my choice and people in my family and my husbands family should and need to respect it. They don't want me to go all crazy non gmo mom on them! LOL

I will say that when I was a kid I LOVED hot dogs with mac and cheese. OMG it was one of my favorite snacks. My mom always thought it was gross but I loved it. I don't think I could eat it now since the only time you will see me with a hot dog is at a baseball game. lol Not sure why I'll eat one there but to me it's like a must!

I have a friend whose little one is about a month older than mine and she said he won't eat any food. She has tried all kinds of foods but he just won't have it. I have another friend who has two kids and one ate baby food and the other ate whatever they were eating because she wouldn't eat baby food. Every baby is different it would seem. So far my little one will eat anything. Today I gave him a scrambled egg and he seemed to like it. He is still new at feeding himself so most of what I give him on his tray he plays with and the other half goes into his mouth lol.

He never lost the love for fresh fruits. Vegetables dropped back to only edamame, roasted sweet potato and avocado (yeah, it's a fruit but seems more veggie), but we've recently added raw spinach and carrots back into the menu, so I'm hopeful it's only a matter of time before we get more back onto the menu again.

And then when we can drop the hot dogs and cheap mac and cheese ... I'll declare victory.

Yea he likes fruits esp banana's and strawberries. I will mix the two and he will eat an entire bowl if I let him. I mix it with yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast or a snack.

I have never had edamame. How do you cook it? He loves sweet potato!! I just roasted about 3 of them and diced them up for lunch portions. He didn't seem too thrilled with the avocado but he ate it. I didn't buy anymore since he didn't seem to really care for it all that much. Spinach he loves too! I mix it with green beans and he loves it. Carrots is one he has been eating since I started feeding him food. My mom grows carrots in her garden along with a lot of other veggies so when she has some she gives me a bunch and I just make it food for my little one. I have mixed corn with butternut squash too and he downs it!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

fictitious
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I'm due in May with my first child. I plan to make my own baby food when the time comes and breastfeed. The midwives I am seeing will help you until you are successful and even act as peditricians (using natural medicine) until the baby is 9 months. They also can provide baby food recipes. I'm also having a homebirth, so I'm excited about that too. Lots of firsts coming up for me soon.

I'm glad to see other new moms on here. If I ever have any baby food questions, I'll surely ask you

Congrats!!! I love making baby food. I cook a lot anyways so it was only natural that i"d make his food. It is also so much cheaper plus I know exactly what is in it!

Where do you live? Are you in the states?

I wanted to do the all natural home birth in a tub but my husband was freaked out by it and I winded up having to have an emergency c-section so it's probably good I did the hospital..

You are lucky to be able to have a home birth!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

HomerinNC
Damn, 9 months already Blah??? Where DOES the time ago, I thought he was a newborn like 2-3 months ago, no kidding
He looks great hun!!!!

Thanks!

I know!! On the 2nd he will be 9mths.

He is walking already with the assistance of his stand up walker. He will walk around the coffee table and then let go and stand all on his own. It was funny the first time he realized he was standing. He looked down and then at me and then plopped down. lol It was cute.

He is moving so fast with everything now! He is alllll over the place! Last night he chased the cat from the bedroom to the kitchen all while giggling. It was hilarious. I was right behind him though and the cat was like "WHY are you following me tiny human." LOL The cat and dog should just wait til he is actually fully mobile with his legs lol. I foresee a lot of hiding under the bed from the cat!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Wait, just WAIT until he starts getting into EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Sorry I'm just now replying. Yes, I'm in Texas. The midwife I am seeing is providing amazing amazing prenatal care. So much is focused in diet, exercise, not too much weight gain, all natural medicine when something comes up, and herbs. She has attended over 2000 births in her practice, and she says that emergency c-sections are almost always preventable. Only a few girls ever ended up going to the hospital to have one. So for your next one, definitely consider it! I'm not saying your csection wasn't medically necessary, but usually some sort of intervention that hospital did caused it or lack of real prenatal care. Doctors also tend to let women gain way too much weight and sometimes encourage it. They get paid more for csections and it takes much less time. Of course I haven't yet given birth yet, but everything has gone great so far! My midwife calls them "unneccesarians" lol.

Anyway, if you consider it next time, find a good midwife you completely trust that has an almost non existent hospital transfer rate. My OB actually recommended this one, and she happened to only be a few minutes away and the best in Houston. Birth isn't a medical process, it's a natural one, so I hope one day you and your husband can experience the calm and reward of one!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Many congratulations OP! I'm expecting in mid-September so you may get a PM from me looking for some guidance soon after. Though I intend to nurse, all baby food will be home-prepared and stored in glass to avoid BPA leeching into the food. Your little one is adorable and so lucky to have such a talented and enthusiastic home cook for a mom. I'd have never considered attempting strong flavors like basil, but given your experience and my affinity for growing herbs year-round, I'm sold! I didn't realize there was formula based in goat's milk, which is such a comfort. I don't know if I'll encounter challenges nursing, but if I do, I'll feel much better providing a formula based in goat's milk to all others. Shoot this has already got my mind turning and I have all spring and summer! Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

HomerinNC

Wait, just WAIT until he starts getting into EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

HAHA he already is! He crawls at 50mph. I love when he tries to "out crawl" me, like he is making a getaway.

The 3 things he is always getting into:

1. TV Stand
2. Stand up fan (he loves that thing) I don't care if he sits in front of but he wants to hold the sides and put his face in it. It's hilarious but I don't want him knocking it over.
3. The dogs food and water. I won't put it up. I don't believe in that. He will have to learn that it's off limits. He does know the word "no" and will stop and redirect when I say it but not always. Sometimes he's got a one track mind with that food bowl!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

fictitious

Sorry I'm just now replying. Yes, I'm in Texas. The midwife I am seeing is providing amazing amazing prenatal care. So much is focused in diet, exercise, not too much weight gain, all natural medicine when something comes up, and herbs. She has attended over 2000 births in her practice, and she says that emergency c-sections are almost always preventable. Only a few girls ever ended up going to the hospital to have one. So for your next one, definitely consider it! I'm not saying your csection wasn't medically necessary, but usually some sort of intervention that hospital did caused it or lack of real prenatal care. Doctors also tend to let women gain way too much weight and sometimes encourage it. They get paid more for csections and it takes much less time. Of course I haven't yet given birth yet, but everything has gone great so far! My midwife calls them "unneccesarians" lol.

Wow that sounds awesome!!

I didn't gain that much while pregnant. About 37lbs. I pushed for HOURS and then my heart rate started getting to high and they were concerned about the baby. He was turned and not moving and I was out of energy, literally. I felt as though I was going to pass out at that point. I did not want a c-section AT ALL! I hated having one. I still have problems from it.

I know people who schedule them and I think they are nuts! They feels it's easier. Yea no it's not! I couldn't move for weeks afterwards and it sucked. I was in so much pain. HOW could anyone think they are easier than NATURAL child birth.

Anyway, if you consider it next time, find a good midwife you completely trust that has an almost non existent hospital transfer rate. My OB actually recommended this one, and she happened to only be a few minutes away and the best in Houston. Birth isn't a medical process, it's a natural one, so I hope one day you and your husband can experience the calm and reward of one!
IF I ever had another one i'd love to go all natural but I am done with one. I was told my chances of having kids was like 10% to none so my son was a surprise. I'm not trying to go through any of that again. I'd adopt honestly before i'd ever go through pregnancy and child birth again. I did not have an easy pregnancy.

Good luck and congrats!!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

chasingbrahman
Many congratulations OP! I'm expecting in mid-September so you may get a PM from me looking for some guidance soon after. Though I intend to nurse, all baby food will be home-prepared and stored in glass to avoid BPA leeching into the food. Your little one is adorable and so lucky to have such a talented and enthusiastic home cook for a mom. I'd have never considered attempting strong flavors like basil, but given your experience and my affinity for growing herbs year-round, I'm sold! I didn't realize there was formula based in goat's milk, which is such a comfort. I don't know if I'll encounter challenges nursing, but if I do, I'll feel much better providing a formula based in goat's milk to all others. Shoot this has already got my mind turning and I have all spring and summer! Thanks for posting.

Awe congrats to you!!!

Yea I wanted to breastfeed so badly and didn't expect to have the problems I did later on. The goats milk is awesome! He loves it. He was on formula after I couldn't breast feed and he hated it. It stunk and tasted like crap. I can't say that i blame him! The goats milk it great. I have to add raw sugar, organic coconut oil, molasses, organic olive oil, vitamins, priobotic powder and that is it. My mom had him over the weekend and said she felt like a chemist making his bottle lol Once you do it a few times it's like second nature. It takes no time at all! It is also SOOOO much more affordable to use the goats milk powder than formula and it's cheaper to make your own food than to buy it!

I love adding flavor to his food. A friend of mine was like you can't give him that because he won't eat bland foods. Um she clearly doesn't know me! I don't make bland foods. I think if you introduce them to all kinds of flavors and foods they will not be such picky eaters. There hasn't been one thing he won't eat!

He loves quiche and meatloaf! I made a bacon, tomato basil quiche with asiago cheese and gave him a taste on my spoon and he grabbed my plate! I then gave him a little sliver heated up and diced. He fed himself and ate the entire serving! He digests the foods fine and his doctor says he is right on track! As for the meatloaf that was about a week ago and he loved it. So I diced up meatloaf and green beans and mixed it with the red mashed potatoes I made and he loved it. He is almost 10mths now and he eats a lot of what I eat right now. Which is nice because I have a little one to cook for!

I tried the Earths Best jar food and it was just bland, they all tasted the same except for the "gourmet" blends. One of which I make for him from scratch. I buy those for when we are out and about during the day because it's hard to reheat homemade food and making his milk is really not possible out and about because you need to use hot water at first to dissolve the coconut oil.

I recently went to a local Tex Mex place for lunch and ordered him an avocado and he ate 75% of it! I also gave him some beans and he loved it. He wanted nothing to do with the jar food lol

I love to cook period so having him to cook for now is just awesome. I couldn't wait til he was able to eat people food so I could cook for him. He will be "spoiled" in the food dept you could say. I just see it as teaching him about good food! No boxed foods for him!

Good luck with your little one and let me know how things go!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join