It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No radiation in fish tested: Health Canada

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Health Canada's Radiation Monitoring Data
www.hc-sc.gc.ca...

...on Thursday, August 11, 2011 Health Canada removed nine supplementary fixed point detectors that were installed in British Columbia and the Yukon in response to the Fukushima nuclear incident. In addition, on September 15, 2011, Health Canada will end its weekly data postings...

Measurements from these networks have confirmed that the quantities of radioactive materials that reached Canada as a result of the Japanese nuclear incident were very small... The very slight increases in radiation across the country, observed during the first few weeks following the onset of the incident, were smaller than the normal day to day fluctuations from background radiation.

edit on 22-2-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

How on earth can you 'confirm' that the radiation from Fukushima that arrived across Canada that had 'very slight increases' was smaller than the normal day to day fluctuations? It isn't even the same type of radiation... yet they removed the fixed point detectors because........? I can't recall the excuses they gave - budget problems? broken? Anything but wanting to actually detect anything... Yeah, sure wasn't suspicious. They're all such liars. I actually called the Federal Government when this happened and their "PR" person gave me the 'bananas have more radiation' spiel... do bananas also have plutonium particles? lead? strontium? They absolutely bank that people think all radiation is the same - and harmless.
edit on 22-2-2014 by wishes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

my question is why would the Federal Government remove 9 monitoring stations in BC and Yukon...the closest stations to the wave of radiation coming from Japan
You know those were air monitoring stations, right? You know there are other (permanent) stations in BC, right? They are listed on the page you provided. Those temporary stations were there to monitor atmospheric levels of contamination from Fukushima, not seawater. Since radiation measurements never rose above background levels there was no reason to continue using the supplemental stations.

Why don't you go out and prove me wrong?
I can't. But these guys can and they aren't using "testing kits."
ourradioactiveocean.org...

edit on 2/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Talk about beating a dead horse....... I am so over people ignoring reality. What is the reality?
1. Fukushima radiation is being tracked and monitored by organizations not associated with Government or the Nuke industry.
2. Radiation off of California has been tracked to the Farallon Islands nuke dump and zero isotopes from Fukushima have been found.
3. Starfish are not dying from radiation, this has also been proven.

Alarmists are being just that. Check out Deep Sea News, be forewarned though, it is a site full of things about the ocean and it may very well prove the doom and gloom of Fukushima is BS, for now..... It has all kinds of articles about the ocean and ALL of the scientists there are NOT associated with the nuke industry. In fact, ALL are the exact kind of people that are looking (and testing) the oceans for all kinds of things and could radiation from Fukushima be proved they WOULD be telling everyone. Researchers, deep sea sub commanders, scientists and almost all are marine conservationists.

Of course I have pointed all this out on ATS before. Sadly many here can not handle actually doing the research into the truth for themselves. Not one person has found a single link to any of the researchers from Deep Sea News to any entity at all that wants to cover up Fukushima. I however, have done the research and there are few people more trustworthy than the folks from Deep Sea News.

Fukushima Alarmists are just like Birthers and 911 Truthers in that they will ignore any proof whatsoever to protect their beliefs.

Lots of people on this site so badly want to believe that Fukushima is poisoning us all and that there is a giant coverup. Yet they flat out refuse to do the research. So many here are embracing Fukushima stupidity that I have lost interest in interacting with them any longer.

Fukushima Alarmists are like the knight fighting the black knight in Monty Pythons Holy Grail. No matter how many limbs they lose in the fight, they still think they can win. This is my last post on anything related to Fukushima as I have wasted enough time trying to calm the alarmists down and I am tired of swinging the sword.

edit on 22-2-2014 by Mamatus because: added content.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sorry, Phage. You present yourself as the gatekeeper here so my response is directed to your response:

You said you were sure that contamination had reached the west coast. Why are you sure?

Shortly after the meltdowns I was listening to a west coast radio station and the host had a guest from Berkley on who in fact stated that, "Its here". Meaning the radiation from Fuku.

"Where is it?", the host asked.

"We detected it in milk."

"Which milk? "

"Not at liberty to say…"

I'd give you a link but it was a live radio broadcast, not sure how to dig that up. I remember it clearly, I live on the West Coast and I have no reason to lie about it.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

They absolutely bank that people think all radiation is the same - and harmless.
Actually there are two main types of radiation; electromagnetic and particle.
Mostly what we are talking about with nuclear contamination is particle radiation. While different radioactive materials emit different levels of radiation, the radiation is pretty much the same and results in the same effects on living things.

Whether or not a living think can cope with radiation depends upon the amount recieved in a given period of time. We are exposed to radiation all the time and it is "harmless" because it is at low levels.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yes, radionuclides from Fukushima were detected within weeks of the Fukushima disaster...fallout...carried by air.

After this manuscript was originally submitted, similar gamma-ray counting measurements were performed on samples of weeds collected in Oakland and on vegetables and milk sold commercially in the San Francisco Bay area. In some of these samples, low levels of the same fission products observed in the rainwater were also detected. The levels of activity observed in these samples also pose no hazard to the public.
www.plosone.org...

But we are talking about contaminated seawater, not atmospheric contamination.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yah, Airborne…

reply to post by Mamatus

This is my last post on anything related to Fukushima as I have wasted enough time trying to calm the alarmists down and I am tired of swinging the sword.

Really…

Lead Particles from Asia (Berkeley)

I'd show you the one of radiation from Fuku but radioactive contamination is invisible to satellite imagery.

However, there is some information readily available about other contaminants borne on the wind from Asia.

Earth Obsertvatory

Like they say a pic denies a bunch of ignorance…
edit on 22-2-2014 by intrptr because: added reply to Phage

edit on 22-2-2014 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Phage

Are you munching on seafood just the same as before the Fuku disaster?

Yes. But then, I've never eaten seafood from the Fukushima region.

Do you only eat seafood from the Atlantic or is it Pacific and arrived with an all-clear, no Fukushima itinerary and a stamped passport? Lots of fish have huge migration patterns or are shipped from Asia.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but could you clarify?

I ask because I can't always get a clear answer out of supermarkets and restaurants. I'd love to be that confident and as I look out my window where the Pacific sits about sixty feet from my window I can't help but wonder.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Mamatus
Talk about beating a dead horse....... I am so over people ignoring reality. What is the reality?
1. Fukushima radiation is being tracked and monitored by organizations not associated with Government or the Nuke industry.
2. Radiation off of California has been tracked to the Farallon Islands nuke dump and zero isotopes from Fukushima have been found.
3. Starfish are not dying from radiation, this has also been proven.

Fukushima Alarmists are just like Birthers and 911 Truthers in that they will ignore any proof whatsoever to protect their beliefs.

Lots of people on this site so badly want to believe that Fukushima is poisoning us all and that there is a giant coverup. Yet they flat out refuse to do the research. So many here are embracing Fukushima stupidity that I have lost interest in interacting with them any longer.

Fukushima Alarmists are like the knight fighting the black knight in Monty Pythons Holy Grail. No matter how many limbs they lose in the fight, they still think they can win. This is my last post on anything related to Fukushima as I have wasted enough time trying to calm the alarmists down and I am tired of swinging the sword.

edit on 22-2-2014 by Mamatus because: added content.

Here's what I 'know' about Fukushima -
- It had a major explosion that went up into the atmosphere and prevailing winds come my way (British Columbia). What was in that explosion is 'not' harmless and we're all now breathing it in.
- They continue to pour 24/7/365 thousands of tons of radioactive water directly into the ocean and Tepco continually 'corrects' the official amounts of water and radiation levels 'actually' being released in ever increasing volumes and toxicity.
- The prevailing currents from Japan travel towards Alaska and down the west coast.
- radiation is bioaccumulative
- They have NO END date for the radiation "leaks/gushes/outpourings/storage/etc." so it is going to continue for at least decades if not centuries
- They are burning radioactive waste which is also going into the air and 'coming our way'
- They have been caught lying again and again so no, I don't believe ANY reassurances from them.

To call those of us deeply concerned about this disaster as "alarmists" is trying to pooh pooh people who are genuinely concerned about the present and more importantly our children's future! If the radiation is not detectable along the west coast by now it WILL be in the future. And just because it may not have been officially detected doesn't mean it's not already there. Or that the bottom of the ocean where a lot of it settles is going to start a chain reaction right up the food chain. My prediction is cancer rates, already ridiculously high are going to be even worse. It takes TIME for the radiation effects to manifest. If radiation is so harmless why are cancer rates so ridiculously high already, even in animals when 100 years ago it was very uncommon?

To put us in the same league as 911 truthers is admitting you don't believe the towers coming down was a carefully planned and orchestrated demolition and I would suppose then you also believe the 3rd tower burned down as a side effect. One look at the towers oozes demolition, to see it any other way is just (in my opinion) affirming the global brainwashing is most successful.

They have no end date for this - they will continue to dump water into the ocean for as long as it takes. This isn't a one day disaster, it' ongoing with no end in sight. Everyone should open their eyes and see the future of this. How long before it becomes undeniable? Who knows - depends, depends, depends - but its just begun even though it's been 3 years of non-stop pollution.

What's in our immediate future? More bone cancer, more leukemia, more lung cancer, more thyroid cancer. If they were able to stop Fukushima 'today' I'd be elated! That they can't stop it (or won't stop it) is the reason we're flogging this dead horse as you call it. It's not over by a long shot. Anyone who thinks Fukushima is no big deal simply doesn't understand or see the bigger picture.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by igloo

I only eat fresh (local) fish. Some I harvest myself, some I buy. I live on the Pacific Ocean.

I do, on occasion, eat bluefin tuna. Bluefin are migratory and do spawn in Japanese waters. I'm more worried about their mercury levels than contamination from Fukushima. But not so worried to pass up a slice of sashimi (or 10).

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

igloo

And often the fish is exported to another country and packaged so when it says "Thailand" on it doesn't mean it was fished from there, could be from anywhere. And yes, who knows where the fish swam or what other fish it ate that previously swallowed hot particles.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by wishes

They absolutely bank that people think all radiation is the same - and harmless.
Actually there are two main types of radiation; electromagnetic and particle.
Mostly what we are talking about with nuclear contamination is particle radiation. While different radioactive materials emit different levels of radiation, the radiation is pretty much the same and results in the same effects on living things.

Whether or not a living think can cope with radiation depends upon the amount recieved in a given period of time. We are exposed to radiation all the time and it is "harmless" because it is at low levels.

Yes, exactly - however it is the particles that are deadly and I would disagree that low levels is 'harmless' - it may not cause harm that we can discern, but to say it's actually harmless infers zero possibility of any harm whatsoever - and I absolutely don't believe low levels of 'plutonium' are harmless in any circumstance. I know there's background radiation, etc. and the governments like to throw this out as justification to not worry about their man made poisonous versions which are completely different. I'm talking about nuclear man-made radiation, not background, natural radiation. I think the ridiculously high cancer rates is a testament to their nuclear testing and leaking reactors though they'd like us to believe otherwise.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

- It had a major explosion that went up into the atmosphere and prevailing winds come my way (British Columbia). What was in that explosion is 'not' harmless and we're all now breathing it in.
We are also "breathing in" contamination from Chernobyl and atmospheric atomic testing, and have been for years. The levels of radiation produced by this contamination is harmless. People living in Denver get more radiation than those living in Los Angeles but both get background levels.

- They continue to pour 24/7/365 thousands of tons of radioactive water directly into the ocean and Tepco continually 'corrects' the official amounts of water and radiation levels 'actually' being released in ever increasing volumes and toxicity.
What is your source of evidence that increasing levels of contaminated water are being released into the ocean?

- The prevailing currents from Japan travel towards Alaska and down the west coast.
Yes.

- radiation is bioaccumulative
Yes. If the rate of influx of radioactive material exceeds the rate of efflux from an organism. If levels of radioactive contamination are low, bioaccumulation does not occur.

- They have NO END date for the radiation "leaks/gushes/outpourings/storage/etc." so it is going to continue for at least decades if not centuries
Unless, of course, the source of the leak can be discovered.

- They are burning radioactive waste which is also going into the air and 'coming our way'
They are?

- They have been caught lying again and again so no, I don't believe ANY reassurances from them.
Good thing there are sources other than TEPCO.

even in animals when 100 years ago it was very uncommon?
It was?

Anyone who thinks Fukushima is no big deal simply doesn't understand or see the bigger picture.
I don't think Fukushima is no big deal. I also don't see the point in waving my arms and saying "We're gonna die!" Does it make you feel better to do so?

edit on 2/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
here is a page which I think is very informative and might dispel some myths

Since Fukushima, much interest has developed in the application of checking food and water for possible radiation contamination. Here are your options:

Rely on government agencies, such as the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the US, or
Procure the same equipment used by those agencies and conduct your own tests. These include specialized devices like Multi-Channel Analyzers for Gamma Spectrometry, etc. which are quite thorough and able to detect very low levels of contaminants, along with which isotopes are present.
Or, acquire a personal radiation detector which, while not as effective or thorough as the above alternatives, is readily available to the lay person and easy to use.

In the end, the effectiveness of a Geiger counter in detecting contaminated food and drink, in my opinion, comes down to a matter of degree. Heavily contaminated food is potentially detectable by many Geiger Counters of reasonable sensitivity. Weakly radioactive food might be detectable by some pancake GM tube models in combination with a timed count process. But there could theoretically be a minimum amount of radiation particles missed by any Geiger counter. So anyone using a Geiger counter for this purpose needs to take responsibility for that decision, versus other alternatives.

As a matter of interest, I have scanned everything from milk to soy sauce to sake, and the only radioactive item I have found so far is a batch of captured Arizona rainwater. Specifically, I detected 6 CPM (Counts per Minute) of radiation from the sample, using the Digilert 100 Digital Geiger counter, a standard-tubed (not pancake) model, so that instrument is still pretty sensitive to have achieved that feat. I would add, though, that a momentary scan itself of the captured rainwater failed to reveal any contamination - the radioactivity become apparent only through a 20 minute timed count.

In another example, a Canadian customer used the Inspector to determine that his imported Japanese tea leaves were contaminated. He conducted a 30 minute timed count, showing a total reading of 53 CPM from the tea, versus background alone of 35 CPM. The difference of 18 CPM over a 30 minute period is not only statistically significant, but conclusively points to radioactivity from the food.
www.geigercounters.com...

I think I agree with Phage in that fucushima is bad but its not the be all and end all of bad...
GE alone has over twenty more chances to get it wrong though so stay tuned

edit on 22-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Phage

Yes, we're breathing Chernobyl - not sure it blew up Plutonium like Fukushima though - it's "all" bad but they continue to do it and get away with it. Yes, cancer rates have exponentially increased in the past century! Recent information from Tepco talked about more water and higher levels than previously 'thought' - again. There was information about all the burning going on way back in the original thread - the stuff was highly radioactive and they were burning massive amounts of it so obviously all that went into the atmosphere as well and as the wind blows I'm not that far away from it. Chernobyl was short lived and dealt with (relatively speaking). Fukushima has an unknown lifespan and still unknown consequences. Is insane they are using nuclear power instead of Teslas clean and free energy. Why that is is the real question.

Back on topic - Is not sufficient and thorough testing of fish going on - the governments just excuse it as saying it's not necessary - I believe it is necessary and not being done because there 'is' a problem from the radiation and 'they' don't want us to know anything. The entire nuke industry is corrupt to the core (pardon the pun) and they call the shots and make the rules and the laws. Can I prove all this - yes - but I don't have the time to pull up a lot of historical references and resources. Anyone who has looked at the entire bigger picture knows this. I spent about 20 years researching global politics - it's uglier and more insidious than most people heads can begin to imagine or fathom and why I'm extra cynical about Fukushima!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There are certain potentials though like the grid going down so some reactor cooling systems might then quit and then pass their unrefridgerated due dates and go poof...
or
Radioactivity will produce enough fatigue in the construction materials that things will just disintergrate...and leak into the nearest body of cooling water

if I understand it correctly radioactive decay has a certain certainty to it, just like ' it flows downhill...
and the smell goes down wind
edit on 22-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wishes

Recent information from Tepco talked about more water and higher levels than previously 'thought'.
I have not seen anything about more water leaking into the ocean. I have seen that earlier measurements of radioactivity in waste water were in error. I have also seen that contaminants in non-bottom feeding fish, well as seawater in the Fukushima region have been declining in spite of the leak.

Chernobyl was short lived and dealt with (relatively speaking).
The large atmospheric release from Fukushima was short lived. I have seen nothing about continued large atmospheric release from Fukushima.

Is insane they are using nuclear power instead of Teslas clean and free energy.
"Tesla's free energy"... Never mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

wishes

crankyoldman
I'm not scientist, so I am not allowed to have an opinion that matters but I'll rant anyway.

This testing is for last year of "some" fish. There is still at least 40 years more of radiation hell coming the pacific. Or maybe not as TEPCO is under no legal, or moral obligation to state any facts in the matter. I'll say that again, TEPCO is under no, zero, none, no legal or moral obligation to be either truthful or factual on the matter.

But... If I were a PR person, and I have known more then most, I would say this: "Canada scientists, health officials and concerned politicians have tested fish from the pacific for nuclear radiation from Fukashima and have found no detectable traces. We feel the fish is safe to eat." BTW, I'd say this even if I found plutonium in Tuna headed for the local sushi bar.

Then I'd have the science class simply hammer on this "study" to prove there is no issue. I'd be careful to never say there will never be an issue, but this will be assumed via the PR campaign because one study said there was no issue.

Then any one who insists that testing from 2013 isn't enough I will have the scientist use the old "deconstructionist" method to ridicule everything out of their mouths, even if it is as stupid as saying " they misspelled radiation using two "a's" so how can you believe this guy. I will make sure the scientists never, ever, touch the moral problem, the consciousness problem or anything other then sticking to computer data and personal attacks on naysayer.

If all else fails I'll simply change the metrics on the people. I'll say there are more fish, less water, or more water and less fish, or that people don't eat those fish, or that, only good radiation makes it to the fish.

When you know PR people, you'll know the are the lowest form of human on the planet, when you know scientists who rely on corporations and universities you'll know they are more then willing to whore themselves out to anyone who will pay in order to become a PR person for their employer.

Yes, exactly! They are experts at talking and saying nothing yet people walk away feeling like they've been reassured! I get really frustrated how many people don't realize how easy it is to get scientists, politicians, anyone say what they're told to say rather than what's right because if they don't, they lose their job or their family is threatened or they're simply taken out.

Here is what this is like to me.

A scientist and a priest are driving to their weekend get worship filled get-together's, when they get into a head on collision while crossing a railroad track. They get out and begin arguing. The scientist says, "it is you fault as physics says the x over y factor coupled with the t/a factor means it is your fault." The priest says 'it is your fault, you refused to recognize my right of way or me at all." They go on and on while standing there on the tracks. A slack jawed local yokel, who both agree is a dumbass who deserves no attention, insists they move the cars off the tracks. As he attempts to interject one last time they they both tell him to piss the hell off and go back to his heathen uneducated world. He smiles and one minute later the are crushed by a passing train.

What cracks me up to no end is the paid scientists and the PR people always think this kind of stuff won't affect them. They figure their baby won't be a mutant, or their food is special or somehow they never round up scientists and PR people. Those who will sell out their own are the first to die in any regime change, as they have been proven to be immoral and can't be trusted. Cracks me up.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I would be questioning how they get their random samples. One of my closest friends knows quite a few natives fishing the west coast for herring. And what is alarming the native villages is that all the herring have melted eyes.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Unity_99
I would be questioning how they get their random samples. One of my closest friends knows quite a few natives fishing the west coast for herring. And what is alarming the native villages is that all the herring have melted eyes.

Yes, and I know they (government) has the resources both in equipment and marine biologists and could easily test and determine why this is happening. Either they aren't testing (on purpose) or they are testing and not telling. Unfortunately Fukushima isn't the only contaminant let loose into the ocean.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join