It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine in Turmoil. Fears of East/West Schism. Russia Talking to East UA. Updates!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Well I dunno Agent. I see hundreds of thousands of people in the streets protesting.

Where are all his supporters?

The media is mostly showing us Kiev, which is located in the anti-government West. There are actually a fair few supporters of the government out protesting, but they are in the East, and aren't being focused on as much.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Well I dunno Agent. I see hundreds of thousands of people in the streets protesting.

Well SLAYER69 are you going to be claiming that there 500,000 protesters the same claims that your beloved MSM have being claiming to?

Still waiting for that poll.

The same supporters democratically elected him.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Ukraine president exits Kiev; protesters take over

KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Protesters took control of Ukraine's capital on Saturday, seizing the president's office as parliament sought to oust him and form a new government. An aide to President Viktor Yanukovych said he had left Kiev for his support base in the country's Russian-speaking east, but that he has no intention of abandoning power.

Related Stories

Ukrainian protesters claim control over capital Associated Press
Political changes come fast, furious in Ukraine Associated Press
Ukraine Edges Back From the Brink The Wall Street Journal
Ukrainian parliament approves new charter, amnesty Associated Press
Ukraine leader losing grasp on power; Tymoshenko set for release AFP

In a special parliament session, lawmakers warned that the country risks being split in two. The country's western regions want to be closer to the EU and have rejected Yanukovych's authority in many cities, while eastern Ukraine — which accounts for the bulk of the nation's economic output — favors closer ties with Russia.

"The people have risen up and achieved their goals. The authorities are crumbling. Victory is in sight," 31-year-old construction worker Sviatoslav Gordichenko said outside a residential compound believed to belong to Yanukovych,

Hanna Herman, a close Yanukovych ally, told The Associated Press that the president was spending Saturday visiting Kharkiv, a city in Ukraine's east which is the heart of his support base.

"As much as some people want it, he has no intention to leave the country," Herman said. She said the president was to meet voters in the region and make a televised address.

The trip comes a day after Yanukovych and opposition leaders signed a European-brokered agreement aimed at resolving the months-old political crisis that has killed scores and injured hundreds. The agreement calls for early elections and constitutional reforms that reduce the president's powers.

Click link for remainder of article..

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thanks for the help!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

So

It's split between East & West.

Seems pretty much divided down the line.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

SLAYER69

So

It's split between East & West.

Seems pretty much divided down the line.

Yeah, pretty much. That's the way it is looking.

Sounds like this will result in an East-West deal...Russia and East Ukraine support each other while West Ukraine and Europe support each other. This is the only way i see it going, really.

No way Russia will just let it slip either....
edit on 22-2-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Leaders of mainly Russian-speaking regions of eastern Ukraine that are loyal to President Viktor Yanukovich challenged the legitimacy of the national parliament on Saturday and said they were taking control of their territories.

A resolution adopted at a meeting of regional leaders in Kharkiv decried a series of measures parliament passed that reduce the president's powers:

The decisions taken by the Ukrainian parliament in such circumstances cause doubts about their [...] legitimacy and legality. The central state organs are paralyzed. Until the constitutional order and lawfulness are restored [...] we have decided to take responsibility for safeguarding the constitutional order, legality, citizens' rights and their security on our territories.

From Reuters

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Still waiting for that poll link.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
A western backed Ukaraine, with only 482 miles between Kiev and Moscow, will leave the great bear in great danger.
Moscow will NEVER allow it to happen, in my humble opinion. I think the president will ask the USSR for help against the coup d'etat.
The question that remains is - Will Moscow answer his call.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

In a special parliament session, lawmakers warned that the country risks being split in two. The country's western regions want to be closer to the EU and have rejected Yanukovych's authority in many cities, while eastern Ukraine — which accounts for the bulk of the nation's economic output — favors closer ties with Russia.

Not all western regions want to be closer to the EU where the Svoboda opposition is located are the ones that have done bascilly what it says have rejected Yanukovych's authority in many cities, in cities where the Svoboda opposition is located.

And also cue the propaganda.

The president's concessions came as part of a deal Friday intended to end violence that killed scores and left hundreds wounded in Kiev this week as snipers opened fire on protesters. It was the worst violence in Ukraine's modern history.

Ironic your beloved article never mentions how 20 officers were wounded and Russian Today other Russian journalists were injured by bullets.

Not surprising.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

andy1972
The question that remains is - Will Moscow answer his call.

Pretty sure they will. They have officials and Western Russian politicians in Eastern Ukraine, talking and observing. Something must be brewing.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

This is the same USSR that saved your Obama's Behind from Embarrassing himself in Syria. And this the thanks Russia gets? you might as well should have let Saudis take over the middle east then.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I never quoted a 'Poll' nor promised one so stop acting as if I did.

However, I thought these were informative...

edit on 22-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The President is believed to be either in Eastern Ukraine or In Russia. The Ukrainian government is all but gone.

WOW wouldn't I love to see that here.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

SLAYER69

I never quoted a 'Poll' so stop acting as if I did or promised one.

However, I thought these were informative...

These maps explain it all perfectly. It is Kaliningorod all over again.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
From Russia's foreign ministry:

"The opposition has not only failed to meet a single one of its obligations, but is also pushing new demands, submitting itself to armed extremists and looters whose actions pose a direct threat to the sovereignty and constitutional order of Ukraine."

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by andy1972

This is the same USSR that saved your Obama's Behind from Embarrassing himself in Syria. And this the thanks Russia gets? you might as well should have let Saudis take over the middle east then.

My Obama??
1 - Im British but i've spent fifteen years in Spain..so MY OBAMA, he aint.
2 - Russia "saved" America from Syria - how? Russia had spetsnaz on the ground helping Assads forces because it supports the Assad regime, and a change in regime for one pro - American meant Russia would have lost an ally.
Let's be honest, America had NO intention of invading Syria, it already people ready to do that for them, Al Qaeda for example.
As for the saudi's, while they still serve a purpose, the U.S will keep them as allies.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A decent portrayal of current events. They are similar, but different to the one's Slayer posted:

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

The President is believed to be either in Eastern Ukraine or In Russia. The Ukrainian government is all but gone.

WOW wouldn't I love to see that here.

The President is believed to be either in Eastern Mexico or in Canada. The American government is all but gone.

Day off work to celebrate anyone??

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
That last ..........daas the ominous rumblings of Russian tanks to follow?
Very likely ImHO....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join