Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Bill Hicks - It's Just A Ride.

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it’s real, because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly colored and it’s very loud. And it’s fun, for a while.
Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: ‘Is this real? Or is this just a ride?’ And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say ‘Hey! Don’t worry, don’t be afraid — ever — because… this is just a ride.’ And we kill those people.
‘Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry; look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real.’ It’s just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that — ever notice that? — and we let the demons run amok. But it doesn’t matter, because… it’s just a ride, and we can change it any time we want. It’s only a choice. No effort. No worry. No job. No savings and money. Just a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy bigger guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, into a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year and, instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would do many times over — not one human being excluded — and we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever. In peace.

Link

I saw this and wanted to share the late and great Bill Hicks speech. I feel like we could all use some inspiration and I couldn't think of a better man to brighten my morning, I hope he brightens yours too.

If you have an inspirational or uplifting video you would like to post, then please do! It will be nice start this weekend on a high note!

Mettā ~
edit on 22-2-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Nice post.

Check out Alan Watts as well, he has some very inspirational thoughts.

Here are a couple:

www.youtube.com...
edit on bSaturday201442b by Infinitis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Infinitis

I will have to check them out at home! I can't watch videos at work

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I'm listening to Alan watts playlists on YouTube right now and go to bed listening to them every night. I have a proper man crush on Alan, I thank ATS for my discovering him. He deserves a thread all for himself.

visionary.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I have never heard of Alan Watts, I have just watched the two vids you posted and I have to say in a huge way, thank you! Before I came back to post this I read up on him, amazing man. I can't wait to listen to his other talks and see the movie of his life when completed.

OP, Bill Hicks is always a welcome addition to any week. But I have to tell you, some conspiracies you just can't unknow whether true or not. I can no longer look at Bill Hicks without seeing Alex Jones. LOL

Thanks for the post. snf

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it’s real, because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly colored and it’s very loud. And it’s fun, for a while.
Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: ‘Is this real? Or is this just a ride?’ And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say ‘Hey! Don’t worry, don’t be afraid — ever — because… this is just a ride.’ And we kill those people.
‘Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry; look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real.’ It’s just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that — ever notice that? — and we let the demons run amok. But it doesn’t matter, because… it’s just a ride, and we can change it any time we want. It’s only a choice. No effort. No worry. No job. No savings and money. Just a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy bigger guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, into a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year and, instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would do many times over — not one human being excluded — and we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever. In peace.

I've always loved this from Bill Hicks. Needed to be reminded of it actually, so thanks for that.

I seem to have grown so inward over the years that I sometimes forget, I actually loved humans at one point.
I wanted to 'make a difference' when I was young. Now, there is too much difference between them and me. And I can only muster the desire to keep myself to myself. Even so, I still think this one is inspirational:

edit on 22-2-2014 by StarlightNine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by StarlightNine

hard to walk away from a life long investment huh?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

sirhumperdink

hard to walk away from a life long investment huh?

Yes, I suppose you're right. Whether it is the investment in 'the ride' or in one's separation and alienation from others.
Perhaps, one can only hope that they have made the right decision for the most part? If only we had been given blueprints at birth.
I know the ride has been quite an exhausting one.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

You have reached the same point as two of my best friends, all they say to me now is "Tell me when the revolution starts, then I'll march on parliament with you", other than that, they don't want to know any more lol

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

iRoyalty

You have reached the same point as two of my best friends, all they say to me now is "Tell me when the revolution starts, then I'll march on parliament with you", other than that, they don't want to know any more lol

Word.

Hate is not how I view things. I think dissapointment and disallusionment are more fitting with how I feel about people anymore.
Don't get me wrong, I am down for a cause. There is no such thing as a bad protest. I am from Seattle, after all. haha
I reached a 'different' point many years ago, and the 'different' got to be quite comfortable, and so totally 'me.'
But I do adore that Bill Hicks message...

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Hahah well at least your keeping slightly up to date with the tin-foil hat community that is ATS!

Bill Hicks was a legend! Funny and smart, always works out well and usually to an early grave, unfortunately!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Also,

StarlightNine
I've always loved this from Bill Hicks. Needed to be reminded of it actually, so thanks for that.

Your welcome, even if it was just you that it helped, then it was worth posting.

new topics

top topics

join