It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Be Ashamed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
While I agree that the young people having "fun" with a coffin is in bad taste---and they should be disciplined by their superiors for posting such nonsense on social sites---but I don't understand why I, as an American, should be ashamed of because they behaved badly. I, as an American, had nothing to do with their up-bringing or training. I believe in personal responsibility, just as I have nothing to be ashamed about when the president does and says really stoopid stuff, it's on the person, not the country. (Despite the fact that "we" are claimed to have elected him, I had nothing to do with electing him.) So I honestly don't understand why "America" should be ashamed.
Note: I live in a family full of veterans and active duty service, from WWII to current "conflicts", Army, Air Force and Marines. I just don't see getting all jacked up about a photo on a social network that might or might not be "real."
edit on 23-2-2014 by diggindirt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

HomerinNC
Not all people grieve the same way, if that was a squad buddy, maybe it was a pact to be happy and not be upset over it. If thats the case, I dont see the issue.
Thats like these 2 marines, do you find this wrong the way theyre celebrating a bro's life?

I've had a bit of time to go back and find some details. I'm still pretty disturbed.

The photo from the OP came was taken at the Professional Education Center. Note the word "Professional" ... I'm still thinking about it. Remember the catchphrase "maintain your military bearing" or "good order and discipline?" I guess we lost something back around the Vietnam era. Certain expectations have eroded. When you let standards slide, when you allow people with no moral fiber to enlist ... people who know better are bound to say something about it.

Those Marines in your pic weren't at a funeral ... they were at a gravesite. The folks from the photo in the OP were coming out of school. You can tell by her later comments complaining about the cold and somebody getting a jacked-up flag that the program failed on the tip of an iceberg no one has yet pointed out in this thread.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

chrismarco
reply to post by Snarl

Ohhh please....I can think of some legitimate reasons to be ashamed and this isn't one of them...how about Honey booboo or the New Jersey House Wives..

the things you mention are indeed outrageous and nothing I would ever watch.....but this is about military conduct and respect of fallen brothers. The fact that you would compare the two is....I think....what the OP is complaining about.
edit on 23-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I don't agree with a lot of things the soldiers of my country do (weather this picture is real or not, its definitely not the worst things our soldiers have done).

But all the citizens of Germany didn't agree with their government during WW2 either.

I, as an average American, should be ashamed of something that has literally nothing to do with me? Exactly who do you think you are, OP? I haven't done anything wrong here.

edit on Xx148111128AM211 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
OP,
If you are so ashamed. Give up your citizenship and get out! You expect Soldier's who are practicing to bury their brothers and sisters to be sorrowful 24/7? You knew there was nothing in that casket! I'd be surprised if you even had the fortitude to last one training session! Shame on you! I'm not even going to answer for the Soldier at the tomb of the unknown, you already know the answer!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

i'm this way about it, it's the family who should decide how there loved one's passing should be observed.if it is a official military function, then as far as the military aspect of it, they should be honored while in uniform, and dignity should be shown at all times around the fallen service member.

but afterwards, and depending on the family's wishes at the, repast, collation or reception, or what ever you like to call it, i see no problem with celebrating the life of a fallen friend. laugh, sing and remember them. least they be forgotten.

if the family doesn't want to be part of that, then there is nothing with wrong friends getting together and remembering them. in a way they see fit. but not in uniform doing some line dancing bs, or broadway musical.

a honor guard is a official military function, nothing but, honor and dignity should be shown.

also i should have said, that a honor guard is a tradition that this country has used to show gratitude for the fallen. one of the things that this country has a problem with, in my opinion is more and more people are thumbing their noses' at tradition, and have no respect for it.
edit on 24-2-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

www.thedenverchannel.com...

Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey posted a selfie with a caption that read, “This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don’t have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR ‘THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.’ COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF," according to the Army Times.

IDGA is typically an abbreviation for "I don't give a."

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Pretty much sums it up.

The military has certain standards, that can't be met, because the pool of applicants they draw from are found in the ooze at the bottom of the barrel. Sometime the uniform is empty (lack of leadership) ... sometimes it's just stained so badly you've got to throw it out.

There's no question in my mind as to why suicide rates are high, why wartime atrocities are committed, why soldiers rape each other all the time, etc. This is AmeriKa. LOL -sigh-

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Of all the things to be ashamed of in terms of our military, this picture is at the bottom of my list.

I am more ashamed and offended by U.S. troops taking pics of themselves sexually abusing or humiliating inmates, taking pictures of them urinating or defiling enemy corpses, or videos and pics of them shooting and killing combatants and laughing about it like it's some sort of video game or movie than the reality of war.

This pic? Poor judgement, poor taste in being published, such shenanigans should be left to private ceremonies of this fallen warrior's comrades, if he indeed preferred a more fun approach to his death. However, I am far from outraged.

Pictures like this make the participants look silly, juvenile, and unprofessional. But the damage done by it is extremely limited. Pictures like Abu Graib made our whole military look like sick, perverted, immoral soulless savages, and as such, endangered the lives and missions of our forces, gave free recruiting propaganda to our enemies, took away any moral high ground we claimed to have over our enemy, disgraced the name and honor of our military, and helped kill the battle for the hearts and minds of the people we supposedly were there to liberate. Pictures of Marines urinating on and defacing the corpses of slain Taliban fighters made us look as bad as the low life animals we were supposed to be fighting. The harm done there was far worse, and as such, I shall save my shame and moral outrage for acts that are truly shameful and morally outrageous.

On another note, loved the video from the Tomb of the Unknown. That guard managed to get the gigglers to STFU and still maintained his military bearing. I'd have probably smacked the giggling idiots myself.

<< 1  2   >>

join