It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jogger Arrested in Austin, Texas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

lovebeck
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

One of the witnesses said they were giving out jaywalking tickets, however, there is no mention of her being cited for jaywalking, or even jayjogging. Her being startled by the cop grabbing her arm (she was running, with headphones on, and grabbed from behind) I guess gave them what they needed since she "resisted" arrest. They had to take her in the alley because she started making a scene.

Smart girl.

For anyone whos interested, here is the link to the blog of the student who witnessed and recorded this incident.

Student Arrested for Crossing the Street.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lovebeck

"You're positive you don't have any ID on you? WE DON"T BELIEVE YOU. You're coming with us to the station. There are a couple places we haven't looked yet."

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

I wasn't aware that Jaywalking was an arrest-able offence. Should have just been a ticket, as for not having an ID, are you required to have ID while outside of your house in Austin? lol
edit on 22-2-2014 by Ragnarokkr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Ragnarokkr
reply to post by TDawg61

I wasn't aware that Jaywalking was an arrest-able offence. Should have just been a ticket, as for not having an ID, are you required to have ID while outside of your house in Austin? lol
edit on 22-2-2014 by Ragnarokkr because: (no reason given)

Well, to give a ticket, you have to have a way of identifying who is getting the ticket, otherwise how will they know who actually got the ticket? If she refused to give a name/ss#/address/ph #, that could be construed as failing to identify, no?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ragnarokkr

It's a power trip plain and simple. If you don't "cooperate", a police officer, who has had the humanity trained out of them, will perceive you as a threat and potential enemy. The training requires that control of a situation, no matter how trivial, must be achieved. Like this instance, lack of submission, quickly allows a situation to get blown out of proportion. Good police officers have better things to do than just mess with people for the sake of it.

I think most people are pretty reasonable and don't go looking for trouble. But more people are getting more wary of the cops as a whole by the day with good reason and it's a bad trend.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

GENERAL EYES
reply to post by TDawg61

I'm not by any means condoning the officers actions, in fact it's pretty disgusting if they're trumping up charges....it doesn't surprise me, and I'm pretty hardline jaded from things I've seen over the years on the streets.

You should have seen that area before they "cleaned up" all the homeless kids and homeless veterans, street performers, and backpacking travelers in the late 90's.

Back then, you never saw the "injustices" because they had a plethora of "undesirables" to pick on, leaving the average run of the mill college kids to go about their educations and casual lives relatively unhindered by police action.

But now it's all cleaned up and homogenized with trendy and overpriced shoppes and corporate entities, leaving....well, nice young ladies on jogs to target instead of some grungy homeless kid panhandling with a bedroll on the sidewalk.

Funny, no one really cared back when it was just the "dirty people" getting hauled off.
Just a bit of modern day irony.

I was one of those dirty kids for a while.
Never got nicked myself, but that was just luck.
What you said here was true and it bore repeating.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Meh...much ado about nothing.

That cop was an asshole for immediately arresting her for resisting.
No empathy on his part to realizing he had startled a headphone
wearing pedestrian who probably didn't realize she was being detained
by the police until after she had resisted.

But then she fails to show ID.

That would be a stickler for me as a citizen of a free country,
BUT...
she had jaywalked.

That's an infraction and you either show ID or go to jail.

I'm still not on the cops side, but he can't write the ticket without ID.

That being said the trumped up charge of resisting is BS and the cop
deserves the humiliation that comes with this being made public.

Makes him look like a sissy with a God complex

edit on 22-2-2014 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
NWA and i share the same opinion on police

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think that requiring to have people have their ID or driver's license on them at all times is utterly absurd. The government doesn't want to put a stop to illegals coming into the country, yet they want to check everyone's ID? Okay, so they are looking FOR CRIMINALS or people with warrants. Fine, but they don't have a right to just stop people to check them for warrants. If you get pulled over or something, fine. But when YOU ARE NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS, what right do the police have to interfere with YOU?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

JiggyPotamus
But when YOU ARE NOT BREAKING ANY LAWS, what right do the police have to interfere with YOU?

But when there are 5 million frivolous laws on the books, that allows any cop to interfere with you any time they feel like it.
edit on 22-2-2014 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Find me a law professor, much less your average LEO, who knows them all. Law applies differently in every situation. Selective enforcement is even worse. We need a reset. That seems almost impossible to achieve. I wish I knew the answer. It's more complicated than that other thread that says infinity breaks down to -1/12.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Thank you for adding that to the thread. I will take a look at it in a bit!

My daughter had her own run in today that could warrant it's own post in this thread...Idk who I'm po'd at more. Her or the cop!

Times have REALLY changed, and let me tell anyone who may not think they have this: When it hits close to home, or you yourself find the cops behind you w/their lights on, or at your front door, I bet you will reconsider.

Whew, what a day. Not a good one, either.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

JiggyPotamus
I think that requiring to have people have their ID or driver's license on them at all times is utterly absurd.

In most of big cities calif all you have to do is give them your ID or driver's license number and they can bring it up on there computer.

Some small towns and rural areas still have not used the free federal and state money to equip there cars or they spent it on more fun items like armored cars

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
People should not allow this kind of law enforcement no matter if it is legal or not. They should be defending their fellow citizens against these kinds of police actions and use immediate deadly force to defend any citizen being abused in this manner, and I don't give a crap if she committed jaywalking or not.

Jaywalking is not an excuse for throwing someone to the ground, nor is it a valid reason for arrest or demanding ID.
edit on 24-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Maybe she was Gaywalking? Cant have that on the streets.

Good to see US cops cleaning up the streets, one white women at a time....

Glad she wasnt black........there would be protests by now on Police brutality, Professors would conduct mass speeches
about civil liberties, Black reverends would be holding mass and sing songs, the homies would be burning down the city, looting stores for the latest LCD tv, cop cars would be overturned and lit on fire..............

Thank God she was only a single white female......Good on you cops of Austin, keep them streets safe.
Damn white women are a danger to themselves, lucky for her, she wasnt raped and murdered....for jaywalking.

Now you can still safely walk the streets of Austin, with your 44 Magnum, Colt 45 and AK 47 strapped to your back.

USA USA

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by lovebeck

Failed to identify? What did she fail to identify as... being stupid??!!

There is no law in Texas requiring you to identify yourself unless you are driving a vehicle. The police can ask for ID but you do not have to provide it.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Well for sure the video is not much showing. However I can't much help but think that this is pathetic police work, and if, as I looked down some of the comments on the link are true, they were giving out 'Citations' to others instead of reasonable advice in the first instance, yes they want to screw you for the shinola. Those guys have just made an enemy.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

JiggyPotamus
I think that requiring to have people have their ID or driver's license on them at all times is utterly absurd.

Under Hiibel, if you're in a stand-and-identify state and HAVE any state ID, you have to present it. If you do NOT have any, all you have to give is a name.

But Texas is not a stand-and-identify state. You can only be forced to identify in Texas if you have been lawfully arrested. You do NOT have to provide ID if detained. And you need not provide more than your name. Unfortunately, like most mopery laws, unless you have an implanted recorder or the like, the cops can just SAY you didn't identify, and you can't prove otherwise. It's just another testi-lie for them. If they can't get anything else on you, all they've got to do is lie their asses off once more.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

AMERICA, # Yeah!
Comin to save the mother # day yeah

AMERICA, # Yeah!
Freedom is the only way now

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

I would have been scared to death if one of those cops grabbed me. Sorry... My culture (and obviously hers too) has taught me to fear the police and not trust them... Then even more scared when they cuffed me... i'd be like omg what are they going to do to me now?! I would have been throwing a fit too... Fighting like a demon cat!!! Did you read what he chief said?! Lucky it wasn't him that was there arresting?! Lucky she wasn't raped?! What?!! Seriously i think she had every right to be scared out of her wits!!!

<< 1   >>

join