It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Replicator Technology

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Here is a link that talks about Fab Labs

www.wired.com...?tw=wn_tophead_2

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
the machine could pay for itself. you could get one then replicate a gold bar billions of times....

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asclepius
the machine could pay for itself. you could get one then replicate a gold bar billions of times....

gold is an element, so it would require quantum replicators like on star trek. Nanotech is not capable of doing that Quantumtech is however. Maybe using entaglement or somthing like that.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
again with this technology, wouldnt money become something of the past ? Because at the end of the day, money is mearly used inorder to obtain goods. What need would there be for money if everyone could have what they want ? The only things that would have to be traded would be technologies, and Elements.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by racos
If one atom can be transported, why cant two ? or Three ?

The atom itself cannot be transported with current technology.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

again with this technology, wouldnt money become something of the past ? Because at the end of the day, money is mearly used inorder to obtain goods. What need would there be for money if everyone could have what they want ? The only things that would have to be traded would be technologies, and Elements.

Exactly! When this technology fully matures the whoe paradigm will shift dramatically, and whether its for the better or worse is completely in our control, because we are armed with the knowledge of past mistakes with disruptive technologies like this(ie GMOs, Atomic Energy, Coal and Oil tech..). Allthough the day is not today. We are almost at the point where we will have the capability to manufactur almost anything down to the micron scale in the next 5-10 years. In 20 years atomic scale manufacturing will start to become commonplace. In a 100+ years maybe maybe quantum manufacturing will become at least theoretical because right now it has one major stumbling block namely the Uncertainty Principal.(BTW Quantum laws affect atomic scale structures to a lesser degree but still is much more than Classical laws, this new ruleset will completely redifine product quality, longevety and environomantly friendlieness.)

EDIT: Actually the only thing that will be traded is rare elements(right on there racos) and Intellectual Property not necisarily technology(its too broad sorry if I seem to be nitpicking but IP and tech are different if similiar)

[edit on 26-11-2004 by sardion2000]

[edit on 26-11-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

If this technology was ever to be built then it could mean the end of many industries and could lead to many world problems being fixed for example the food crisis....However it could be used for creating weapons.

No it is impossible to replicate weapons Star Feet Dirctive 001.244x specfically prohibts replicating weapons.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
BTW what you just quoted was only half of me, see it amazing how things can be taken out of context. Btw someone said earlier that the atoms were not transported, but something else ? recreated is it ? if this is so, how can only one be done ? shouldnt one be basically the same as two or three ?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well with the Teleportation being used nowadays only the state of the Photon or Atom is transported(not the actually Atom) resulting with the destruction of the original.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well with the Teleportation being used nowadays only the state of the Photon or Atom is transported(not the actually Atom) resulting with the destruction of the original.

Just what kind of teleportation are you talking about?

Keep in mind you just stated the state of the photon/atom is transported not the actual atom

[edit on 11/27/2004 by shots]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by sardion2000

Just what kind of teleportation are you talking about?

Keep in mind you just stated the state of the photon/atom is transported not the actual atom

I was talking about the teleportation being done I labs today. Not talking about that which might become possible in the future. Here is the explanation Wikipedia gives.

Source en.wikipedia.org...
Indistinguishability

Let's say that Alice has a rubidium atom (the element physicists in this field like to use for their experiments), which is in its ground state, and Bob has also has such an atom, as well in its ground state. It is important to see, that these two atoms are indistinguishable, that means, that there really is no difference between them.

If Alice and Bob had, say, two glass balls, which exactly look alike, and they exchanged them, then something would change. If you had a powerful microscope, you could certainly find some difference between the two balls. For atoms of the same kind and in the same quantum state, however, there really is no difference at all. The physical situation with Alice having the first atom and Bob the second is exactly the same as vice versa.1 In a certain sense, it is even wrong to say that the two atoms have any individuality or identity. It would be more appropriate to say that the two locations in space both have the property that the fundamental quantum fields have those values which define the ground state of the rubidium atom.

Quantum teleportation: the result

Now, imagine Alice's atom being in some complicated (excited) quantum state. Assume that we do not know this quantum state -- and of course, we cannot find out by inspection (measurement). But what we can do is to teleport the quantum state to Bob's rubidium atom. After this operation, Bob's atom is exactly in the state that Alice's atom was before.

Now note that Bob's atom afterwards is indistinguishable from the Alice's atom before. In a way, the two are the same -- because it does not make sense to claim that two atoms are different only because they are at different locations. If Alice had gone to Bob and given him the atom we would have exactly the same physical situation.

But Alice and Bob were not required to meet. They only needed to share entanglement.

And please in the future don't shoot the messenger plz...

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think the best way to replicate something is to use nanobots to construct it; though nanotechnology is beyond me. Just a thought....

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mephorium
I think the best way to replicate something is to use nanobots to construct it; though nanotechnology is beyond me. Just a thought....

Well thats the idea for atomic scale replication, but it doesn't replicate elements, only quantum replication as seen on star trek is able to do that. Why is Nanotech beyond you, I don't find it difficult to understand. The underlying principals are fairly simple. Here is a website that is a veritable gold mine of Nanotech info.

www.foresight.org...

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I never really looked into nanotechnology; too much to do. Maybe from three hours a day I'll sleep everyother day and study up on it

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Quantum teleportation is not really teleportation, it is cloning on an
atomic/subatomic scale.

[edit on 11/28/2004 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nexus

I think that if replication technology was actually developed why would we need money?
Seriously, if we had replication tech we could make everything that we needed so why would we need to buy things?

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I aint had time to read all the posts yet - and this isn't really the sort of thing the OP was asking about.

But 3D printing could be a way to go. A laser scans around a vat of 'goo' forming a 3D object layer by layer... maybe if you just make better goo, possibly on a nano scale you could replicate more complex things? just a thought

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join