It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Missouri Legislators Vote To Nullify All Federal Gun Control Laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentleman, may I introduce the Tenth Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.

Excellent news for states rights advocates and also gun rights advocates (which are not mutually exclusive to each other in this scenario, obviously).

benswann.com...

The measure passed 23-10.

SB613 counts as what could be the strongest defense against federal encroachments on the right to keep an bear arms ever considered at the state level. It reads, in part:

All federal acts, laws, executive orders, administrative orders, court orders, rules, and regulations, whether past, present, or future, which infringe on the people’s right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States I and Section 23 of the Missouri Constitution shall be invalid in this state, shall not be recognized by this state, shall be specifically rejected by this state, and shall be considered null and void and of no effect in this state.

Read more: benswann.com...
Follow us: @BenSwann_ on Twitter

And for those of you who will automatically react to this thread or any thread on nullification with the "supremacy clause"

California nullifies Indefinite Detention of Americans:
benswann.com...

Several states introduce legislation to nullify Obamacare:
m.freedomworks.org...
edit on 21-2-2014 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Good to hear! Let's hope the States step up and do what the Constitution demands the Feds to do.

Enough is enough, if Americans value their sovereignty, relying on the Whitehouse to do the right thing is ridiculous at this point!

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Kudos to Missouri....

Now, it's time for states to start proceedings to nullify the IRS. Imagine what a boon to state economies if they could tell companies and people to move here, the IRS has no jurisdiction over your money or personal property.

Des

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Y A Y ! !

! GO - M I S S O U R I !

Some days I really love the state I live in. Oh my yes.... It has it's bad days too, no question..but just occasionally, there is nowhere else on this big planet of ours I'd rather be.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yea, California passes horrible laws all the time but the NDAA nullification seemed to slipped through, abeit through clever naming of the bill and logical reasoning/arguments that no DEMOCRAT in California can deny.
edit on 21-2-2014 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I'm always for states gaining more independence from extra-foundation federal laws so I'm gonna give this a thumbs up. I don't agree with them on guns but I agree with the feds telling them what to do with the guns even less.

We have the Constitution and we have the Bill of Rights. I don't care what states do as long as they follow those basic guidelines. Anything the federal government adds to that is unconstitutional.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is certainly a step in the RIGHT direction and sets precedent for
other states to follow.

The federal grab for power recently has been overwhelming and it is certainly
time for the states to assert some force to show that the constitution is STILL
the LAW.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Good ole Missouri!!

On August 28, 2007, the state repealed its purchaser licensing law and, as a result, private sales of handguns no longer required purchasers to undergo a background check.

Following the repeal, my research team found a two-fold increase in the share of guns recovered by police in Missouri that had recently been sold by a licensed gun dealer, and an increase in the flow of guns from Missouri to the neighboring states of Illinois and Iowa, both of which have handgun purchaser licensing laws. In addition, there was a large increase in the share of crime guns that had originated with a retail sale within Missouri. All signs, then, suggest that repealing this law increased the flow of guns to criminals.

Simply put, the consequence of more criminals getting guns was more deaths from guns in Missouri. Data from death certificates indicated that firearm homicide rates in Missouri rose dramatically in 2008, the first year after the law’s repeal, and were 25 percent higher than pre-repeal trends through the end of 2010. This change was at odds with national trends in firearm homicide, which declined by 5.5 percent during that period.

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com...

And as far as this bill...it's just more embarrassment..

Although state efforts to nullify federal laws generally have been tossed out by courts, Missouri and other states have decided to try anyway.

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong. I applaud this.

But I worry that this sets the stage for division within our fragile, broken country.

In recent threads, I've seen a further desire to separate, divide, rather than unite.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's division that must come, my fellow Rabbit. (sigh)

It's a dark day that any good American must face the facts of saying that. Saying...conflict must come. However, we can all see it as clearly as those before World War I and World War II, not to mention our little civil dispute before that, must have seen those. I think we all feel it coming...but no one can say when or how precisely it'll unfold.

Wyoming is the most serious of the bunch on this law to tell the Feds where to stuff it. I say that because Wyoming didn't just pass similar state law, but has Law Enforcement officials already on record as saying it means precisely what it says, and WILL be enforced as it sits, period.

Eventually..and likely very carefully to choose an example we *HATE* to support out of principle, they will test this by going after someone or a group within one of the states this now or soon will apply to. They'll hope citizens will give in to the puke factor of the detestable example they find to go after....so precedent of ignoring state laws can be set specific to this. It won't be about anything MORE than that, so when that comes, I hope people keep the big picture thinking well in mind.

Hopefully this conflict we seem destined to face will be brief and confined to the level of local, state and federal Governments going at each others throats.....not down to the normal citizens fighting and dying atop each other...again.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Anti-gun people, look here. Your personal opinions and arguments complete with statistics and other such evidence against the oh so horrible, scary firearm, They don't matter. Not one tiny bit. The law was set back in this country's infancy and the people will own weapons. Get over it. If you're so worried that someone is going to use one on you I suggest you purchase one and learn to use it, you can't always be the victims right?

Missouri, good job. The feds have overstepped their power too much on too many things, lets hope a few more of the other 49 follow suit and not just with gun laws either.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So I wonder if this means felons in MO can buy firearms now...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The study was manipulated to get the desired results. Look at the following and see the difference.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/02/21/media-cherry-picks-missouri-gun-data-to-make-misleading-case-for-more-control/[url]

Screwed up the link. Copy and paste in your browser.
edit on 21-2-2014 by rockledr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Although state efforts to nullify federal laws generally have been tossed out by courts, Missouri and other states have decided to try anyway.

This is just wording by some MSM to hold to their mandate of propagandizing everything they publish so it reflects the current administration.

I say this because nullification by states does NOT depend on any court rulings to implement in the first place.

Nullification is simply eradication of an illegal federal law and it doesn't require any court trial to "pass"

The illegal law is already in the garbage dumpster. If their is a trial over it, those attending the trial are just putting on a circus act for the media.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

beezzer

Don't get me wrong. I applaud this.

But I worry that this sets the stage for division within our fragile, broken country.

In recent threads, I've seen a further desire to separate, divide, rather than unite.

I get your post but I think when Tyranny is running the country, we must separate and divide from it.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

HomerinNC

Here's exactly the way I feel about this...

The US Constitution SHOULD BE empowered, upheld, and defended by the
federal government. If a state wants to enact law in addition to what
is enumerated in the constitution then the federal government should
challenge if need be...NOT the OTHER WAY around.

I'm not endorsing felons having guns, but the constitution makes no
stipulation on this matter...if Missouri wants felons to have guns it should be
the people of Missouri's choice either way...It should not be under
federal purview.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

HomerinNC

No, that would still be illegal. SB 613 contains a provision that would prohibit it.

As for the law itself, its more symbolic than anything, given that the federal government will ignore it. Still, its good to see the legislators of that state make an attempt to stand up for their citizens. Hopefully, it will go onto full passage.
edit on 21-2-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
While I applaud Missouri's action, it is still not correct. The Second Amendment reserves the right to bear arms to the people, not Federal or State governments. States have no more authority to say who may or may not bear arms than the Federal government.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I was watching a clip on the news of the Russian government opening fire on civilians for protesting, using assault rifles. How far from this is the USA. There are plenty of friendly, non violent protests that happen in America that. Our peace officers get out of hand. Anyway, these Ukraine protesters only had rocks and gravel to fight back with....oh how America would love a defenseless public.
I wonder if there was a protest to support gay marriage, to fight for equal rights and our government decided to disban it, how would people feel? What if they maced & used rubber bullets? What if assault rifles were used on the protesters. At what point would those huggy/lovey people have enough? Would they start collecting rocks. This stuff is happening ALL OVER THE WORLD right now. Venezuela?
Point being, our government want a public that has NO MEANS to stop a tyrannical leadership. Even if your against guns, there is a very valuable purpose for them. I myself am a vegetarian. I would have to be VERY desperate to kill an animal. They are for my family's protection. Most every murder spree that has happened in the USA as of the last couple decades has been by illegal obtaining of the weapons. Even if law abiding citizens were forced to give up there weapons, this would still be the case. Disarm THE WORLD including police and the government/military and you will have my attention.
S&F for the freedom fighters.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

No, that would still be illegal. SB 613 contains a provision that would prohibit it.

I see, so MO interprets the 2nd amendment as they see fit
hypocrites

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join